2018 Silverado 3500HD TPMS Re-Learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I performed a tire rotation on my new truck. When I look at the tire pressures on my dash, they are corresponding to the original tire location. Example: I run 60 psi in the front, 80 in the rear. I rotated the tires, adjusted the pressures, but now my truck tells me I have 80 psi in the front and 60 in the rear.

So I need to reset the system so that TPMS and the actual location of the tire are properly synced.

What's the best way to do this?

I bought this tool for our Ford and GMs.

https://www.amazon.com/JDiag-Relear...mp;sr=8-4&keywords=TPMS+tool+gm+ford

Put it on GM mode, start the TPMS initialization on the dash (or however the manual says to). Start at Driver Front and go around the vehicle clockwise to each wheel, by the valve stem at the sidewall and press the button. It'll initialize each sensor. The vehicle will confirm each sensor is detected by a horn honk.

Last edited:
I believe you can also start the TPMS re-learn and lower pressure in each tire to trigger a sensor, but, that is a bit cumbersome IMO. For the $20 tool, worth it.

Originally Posted by redhat
I believe you can also start the TPMS re-learn and lower pressure in each tire to trigger a sensor, but, that is a bit cumbersome IMO. For the $20 tool, worth it.

Pressure change method of learning sensors stopped in MY2012 for GM. The tool is the only way now.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by redhat

Pressure change method of learning sensors stopped in MY2012 for GM. The tool is the only way now.

Sort of. I had a 2013 traverse and it would still do it with the air pressure method but took way longer than the older ones and didn't always work. The tool is way easier although I never got one.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
Did you look in the owners manual????

Well yeah. It didn't give me clear understanding of the procedure. So I figured some of the guys here would have a good method.

I'll order the $20 tool from Amazon soon and re-learn the TPMS positions.

I tired the tire deflate/inflate method, but it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back