How long do Rhino Ramps last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got rid of my old pair, bought in 2002, only because the newer ones nest inside one another and take up half the space.

Mine were always kept in the garage so no exposure to uv, etc. if one kept them outside the outcome could be vastly different.

I'd anticipate that they would get brittle and shatter. Even then, it's unlikey they would do so all at once or whe. Sitting statically under load. I'd be more afraid of weak metal undergoing a collapse due to a variety of metallurgic, weld, and design factors, than plastic ramps. Metal ramps typically have no structure underneath. Plastic ones have a lot, so a failure would transfer forces in various ways.

Rhino Ramps come in two different weight ratings, and on Amazon the stronger ones were like $5 more, so I just got the heavier ones. Keep in mind they are rated at "times 4". So the 16k lbs really hold 8000 lbs per axle, or 4000 lbs per ramp. Some customers have complained about sliding, and I could see any ramp sliding if its on really smooth concrete, and the axle being raised is unpowered. I have not had any sliding issues. I have put my 97 2500 4x4 Suburban on them many times, which would be a bit over 3000 lbs per axle. I like them because they are easy to store, due to lightness and that they nest together. I think they are fine as long as you head the standard warnings inherent in any ramp.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by Corollaman
I was wondering how long these non-steel ramps can last? I've got a set that are over 10 years old and seem fine. I usually put some weight in front of them to help keep them from sliding when driving up on them.

My ramps are 10 yrs old also and just used them, no problems, still have the rubber pads so no sliding.
cheers3.gif

Mine too, ~10 years old. I glued in my rubber pads so I don't lose'em!

Mine are the original, about 18 years old. No issues. Used an average of 10 times a year, on compact cars and SUVs.

Note - Today's designs are not the same as I am using.

Hydraulic jack and jack stands are the only way I am crawling underneath. No ramps of any kind for me.

Depends how often you had an "odd" load where one sort of kicked out or weight shifted or loading them in an uneven driveway. If never likely last a long time. If often you'll compromise them quicker.

What are these rubber pads a few of you have mentioned ? Mine doesn't have anything (they don't slide either so not too worried). I did have my wife buy them at Walmart, Meijer, etc one day that she was there, not that it would matter where they're from as to if they have these pads.

I've had mine for 12+ years, aside from the bugs and spider webs that have built up inside of them they're holding up just fine.

I was wondering about this the other day when I had my cts-v up on a set. Seems like a lot of weight for what they are, after 10 years I would probably toss them. For $40, who cares, not worth the risk of damaging the car or yourself.

Those wood ramps look useful. I would like a little a little side edge just incase, but you'll never have to worry about them. And I bet I could get a low car up onto them easier than the plastics.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
What are these rubber pads a few of you have mentioned ? Mine doesn't have anything (they don't slide either so not too worried). I did have my wife buy them at Walmart, Meijer, etc one day that she was there, not that it would matter where they're from as to if they have these pads.

The original 'old' style ramps didn't have the rubber pads on the bottom.
The newer style have one rubber pad in the center at the high end of the ramp to resist sliding.

Mine are about 17 years old, silver/gray, with somewhat useless rubber pads on the bottom. They work fine and I'll continue to use them.

Yes … I think the "glued & screwed" Pine-O-Ramps get "pinned" by that first (approach) 2 x 10 and tend to stay in place … even while doing this

1798A762-FA20-4873-A0D1-31E65202E944.jpeg

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Obligatory mention of DIY wooden ramps:
[Linked Image]

Nice ramps but they look too short, that top board looks like the tire sits at the back edge, needs to be longer with some sort of lip on the backside to keep from rolling backwards, my rhino ramps have a lip and small pocket to keep the tires planted.

When on just the front ramps … I use Park, parking brake, and heavyweight wheel chocks …

Mine are easily over 10 years old, probably close to 15 years old and they are still fine. They stay in the shed when I'm not using them. Mine are the heavier load capacity ones.

Mine are older than 10 years and maybe closer to about 15 years and I've had no issues with them. I use them in my flat garage about 4-5x a year for oil changes and use them with some cheap-o jack stands and some wheel chocks.

Like many of you guys, my rubber inserts are somewhere. Either in the storage in the backyard or somewhere along the path from the backyard to the garage.

I had my Rhino Ramps for a very long time (over 10 years for sure) but recently replaced them with Race Ramps as I find the longer ramp with less "abrupt" incline is much easier to get my two lowered vehicles onto. In the Race Ramps FAQ they mention keeping them out of the extreme heat (150F+), so don't store them outside in the direct hot sun where they might get close to that 150 degree temp, so that seems to be the degrading factor for these types of ramps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back