91 Honda Civic Si 1.6L Moonroof seal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Honda Civic Si 1.6L Hatchback

I have a leaky moonroof that I need to fix.
I have a brand new Genuine Honda seal with part#70080-SH3-A01ZB that I purchased years ago.

I noticed that the seal is long and not a perfect fit. I guess I was expecting a perfect fit seal that would install more like a valve cover gasket. The seal has two ends.

Do I have to remove my moon roof to install?
Do I need some type of sealer?

Please advise

You generally have to remove the glass and remove the old seal, then work the new seal on around the edge, and then when you get back around take a razor blade and make the final cut. Don't do it while the seal is free, because the stretching around the edges and curves will alter the final length.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You generally have to remove the glass and remove the old seal, then work the new seal on around the edge, and then when you get back around take a razor blade and make the final cut. Don't do it while the seal is free, because the stretching around the edges and curves will alter the final length.

Do I have to remove the headliner?

I don't know how your glass is attached. Usually there are some plastic covers over the bolts, remove those and then lift the glass out. Maybe check online for a Haynes manual or YouTube video of somebody that's done it.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I thought moonroof typically are designed to leak and then a moat and drain tubes carry the water away.

Be sure to check the drain tubes as well. The drain tubes are prone to getting clogged and when they back up they leak inside.

I was trying to remember what mine looked like, but had to google it. It appears you're going to have to go in through the headliner, as the glass seems to be fixed to the frame with the seal.

Great car, by the way!! How's it doing otherwise?

CivicSR.JPG

CivicSi.JPG

507,xxx miles on the original engine.
I'm the original owner and purchased my Si Oct 1990.

Tranny has been replaced and I kick myself that I did not have the original tranny rebuilt.
Tranny started to give me issues at 380,xxx miles.

It has a possible head gasket leak (compression gauge shows way off number on Cylinder#4)
Car runs and does not over heat but I am losing coolant.
Valve stem seals are also leaking.
There is also a weird and very faint grinding noise that might be from the block but Im not sure.

I really want to restore the car back to its original condition.
I have so much respect for Hondas built back in the late 80's and early 90's.
Rock solid

Some people have encouraged me to swap the engine but I really just want to keep everything original.
Like mentioned earlier, I really wish I would have kept the original 5 speed transmission.

I spend most of my free time working on my Mercedes Diesels.
I own a 1970 280sel, (2) 1979 300sd's and a 1988 300sel. All Mercedes. Rock solid

But like mentioned earlier, my Honda Civic was rock solid for years up until it hit 507k.

That's great. Sounds like you've really taken care of it.

I loved my '86 and '91. They were built really well back then, and just kept on running if you kept the timing belt fresh. My Mom had a '85 Accord SE-i throughout the time I had both my Civics. It remains the best car my parents ever owned.

Honda, and Acura lost their way after the 90s, around the time they killed the Legend. The death of the Prelude was the final nail (for me). I guess I used to be what they call a Honda Fanboy. Now you couldn't give me one.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
That's great. Sounds like you've really taken care of it.

I loved my '86 and '91. They were built really well back then, and just kept on running if you kept the timing belt fresh. My Mom had a '85 Accord SE-i throughout the time I had both my Civics. It remains the best car my parents ever owned.

Honda, and Acura lost their way after the 90s, around the time they killed the Legend. The death of the Prelude was the final nail (for me). I guess I used to be what they call a Honda Fanboy. Now you couldn't give me one.

Civic Type R is a decent offering finally from Honda. Amazing car I got to try out on closed parking lot. Wow especially for a FWD albeit odd looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back