One oil for three cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a thread below asking this question, which I've been wondering about.
The vehicles are:
2010 Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder 48k mi specs 0w20
2013 Altima 2.5L 4 cylinder 44k mi specs 0w20
2008 PA Cruiser 2.4L 4 cylinder 55k mi specs 5w30

OK I'd love to just use one oil in all. WV weather is fairly mild, so.....
I have been leaning toward 5w30 in Taco, and 5w30 is acceptable in Altima according to manual.
Which way to go, 0w20 or 5w30 for all?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bchannell
I just saw a thread below asking this question, which I've been wondering about.
The vehicles are:
2010 Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder 48k mi specs 0w20
2013 Altima 2.5L 4 cylinder 44k mi specs 0w20
2008 PA Cruiser 1.8L 4 cylinder 55k mi specs 5w30

OK I'd love to just use one oil in all. WV weather is fairly mild, so.....
I have been leaning toward 5w30 in Taco, and 5w30 is acceptable in Altima according to manual.
Which way to go, 0w20 or 5w30 for all?

5w-30

What is a PA cruiser ?

but anyway you can go thicker (within reason) but not thinner so 5w30 is the obvious only answer. between those 2 choices.

Of course its not hard to stock 2 different oils. no need to be ocd about only having 1 oil.

Not ocd, just easier cause the taco takes more than 5 qt and the cruiser takes less than 5 so it just works out, makes it easy. Between tractors, cars and mowers I'll still have a few different oils, this just seems like ano easier solution.

PT Cruiser, spell check is not aware Chrysler makes cars.

Last edited:
Always do see the romance in this if prices were flat … but the downside (and one thing this site illuminates) is to look at the latitude of finding deals on several grades/brands of lubricants …

Personally I would use the spec'ed oil for each engine.
As you mentioned, the 5w-30 is acceptable in the Nissan, and many run 5w-30 in the Taco with no issues, so going 5w-30 in all 3 would be fine.
I would not put xw-20 in the PT. More risk running a thinner oil than running a thicker oil for the most part.

I attempted (went through the phase of) one oil for all solution ... and gave up quickly before even starting!

Well my reasoning was that if I just stocked up on, for instance, ST 5w30, I could save what I don't need to fill one to use for the extra needed for the other. As it is, I seem to end up needing a quart, or having some extra left to set around. This way there will only be one portion left over, and it will be used in the next vehicle to get changed.
5w30 is the recommended oil for the cruiser, acceptable for the Altima and Toyota has an oil chart that OKs 5w30 in 2010 taco, so all around good deal. I just had not tried to go with one oil for all.

Originally Posted by bchannell
Well my reasoning was that if I just stocked up on, for instance, ST 5w30, I could save what I don't need to fill one to use for the extra needed for the other. As it is, I seem to end up needing a quart, or having some extra left to set around. This way there will only be one portion left over, and it will be used in the next vehicle to get changed.
5w30 is the recommended oil for the cruiser, acceptable for the Altima and Toyota has an oil chart that OKs 5w30 in 2010 taco, so all around good deal. I just had not tried to go with one oil for all.
e

Leftovers ...
I think that was how blending
shocked2.gif
was invented
Mixers want to feel important so they call it blending
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
10W30. Just to be different.

I would definitely do 10w30 with these 3 cars in Arizona or my home state of Kalifornia.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

I think that was how blending
shocked2.gif
was invented
Mixers want to feel important so they call it blending
grin2.gif

Please don't destroy my fragile mediocre self esteem —- I am important :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back