5w-40 or 5w-50 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here, own a 07 Porsche 911 and currently run the Castrol 0w-40. In the past when I ran with Mobil 1, I consume about 1 quart after 1500 miles, and with the Castrol its about 2500 miles in the same 0w-40 weight. Ive been thinking of going to 5w-40 or 5w-50 as im nearing 80k on the car and wondering if say a castrol 5w40 or the Mobil 1 5w50 would be ideal. I live in the DC area and temps swing between 20 in winters to about 100 in summers. Just looking for oil recommendations and trying to avoid the boutique stuff..

Thanks

Originally Posted by sibhus
Newbie here, own a 07 Porsche 911 and currently run the Castrol 0w-40. In the past when I ran with Mobil 1, I consume about 1 quart after 1500 miles, and with the Castrol its about 2500 miles in the same 0w-40 weight. Ive been thinking of going to 5w-40 or 5w-50 as im nearing 80k on the car and wondering if say a castrol 5w40 or the Mobil 1 5w50 would be ideal. I live in the DC area and temps swing between 20 in winters to about 100 in summers. Just looking for oil recommendations and trying to avoid the boutique stuff..

Thanks

Stick to Castrol 0W40.
Castrol 5W40 is step below compared to 0W40.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why bother going to a 5W40 when the Castrol has resulted in measurable improvements?

Because he'll have to change his oil again and could perhaps reduce his consumption further?

Roofless, thats what my thought was, I have to change the oil and was wondering if its worth looking into a slightly thicker oil that is Porsche A40 approved as these cars are known for consuming oil due to the engine design. But the castrol 0w40 works just fine so maybe its not worth it.. I guess like many of you, we always get the itch to try something new..

Roofless, thats what my thought was, I have to change the oil and was wondering if its worth looking into a slightly thicker oil that is Porsche A40 approved as these cars are known for consuming oil due to the engine design. But the castrol 0w40 works just fine so maybe its not worth it.. I guess like many of you, we always get the itch to try something new..

One oil that is good is Pentosin 5W40. I would go for it over Castrol 5W40.

I'd only keep messing if the current consumption makes it necessary to add oil before the OCI... IOW, if it's consuming a quart every 2500 miles, and OCI is say 7500, then that would be 3 quarts and likely needs a top-off. If the oil still measures in the "safe" range on the dipstick for the duration of the OCI, why bother?

I can tell you from experience on a boxer motors (EJ251, EJ253) that NOACK is not the end-all, be-all of eliminating consumption. My current Outback does not produce any blue smoke whatsoever, and I ran Ravenol DXG with a NOACK of 6% and it still used about 0.75 quart over 3k miles. Excessive? Not by any normal measures, but enough that I would have to add oil on a 7500 mile OCI as recommended by the manufacturer. I've got a mix in it now of PP Euro 0W40 and PPHM 5W30 which seems to be doing better, but the Subarus I've had all seem to experience a high jump in consumption when they are driven for long periods at speeds of 70+ which is typically 2800+ RPM. OP, have you been able to discern any changes due to driving conditions, or is it always the same regardless of driving style and speeds?

I think at those sustained engine speeds and the design of the boxer motor simply makes more oil mist from the thrashing going on, and it gets sucked through the PCV, but around town and 55-60 there is very little to no consumption. I'm not sure if thicker is the answer but hopefully some testing will reveal which oils are consumed less, which can then be used to analyze the specs and see if something jumps out.

Subie, my driving is 90% highway and very similar engine profile in that around 70mph im doing 2800rpms. Porsches use an air to oil separator (which I already replaced) as a pcv, but still develop oil misting in the intake. And this is just common on the older water based engines.

Right my now OCI is between 5k to 7k, basically once a year.

Jealous. I'm lucky to get 2-3k miles a year on mine.

Why bother going to a 5W40 when the Castrol has resulted in measurable improvements?

Pennzoil euro 5/40 has a noack of 6.8. Castrol 0/40 is near 10

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Jealous. I'm lucky to get 2-3k miles a year on mine.

Then drive the car

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
Then drive the car

Dang you're right, why didn't I think of that?

I travel for work, and not by car.

lighter base oils aka O-W's will have lower noak because lighter base oils tend to burn off quicker, real synthetic PAO + Esters do better with that. as you drive longer at elevated RPM's oils likely get hotter even with water cooling + again fake group III "synthetics are more prone to this but a thicker viscosity at running temp will do better, but oils with wider spreads are weaker using a lot more necessary viscosity improvers, + again real group IV + V oils thin less at heat as well as thicken less when colder. i would try some real synthetic oil thats group IV + or V !!

Originally Posted by benjy
lighter base oils aka O-W's will have lower noak because lighter base oils tend to burn off quicker, real synthetic PAO + Esters do better with that. as you drive longer at elevated RPM's oils likely get hotter even with water cooling + again fake group III "synthetics are more prone to this but a thicker viscosity at running temp will do better, but oils with wider spreads are weaker using a lot more necessary viscosity improvers, + again real group IV + V oils thin less at heat as well as thicken less when colder. i would try some real synthetic oil thats group IV + or V !!

So why 0W Redline oils have higher NOACK than 5W's?
I really want to hear this.

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Check out Pennzoil Euro 5w-40. You can usually find in at walmart. Also has Porsche approval.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...o_SAE_5W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

This has been exceptionally helpful. Wife wants a new Hyundai 2.0T and I was hoping to run 5w-40 for the exceptionally hot summers and short trips she typically makes for work. FINDING a readily available 5w40 with a3/b4 wasn't exactly easy.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007

Pennzoil euro 5/40 has a noack of 6.8. Castrol 0/40 is near 10

Is there only one PENNZOIL PLATINUM EURO SAE 5W-40 variant available OTC in North America?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ringmaster
Is there only one PENNZOIL PLATINUM EURO SAE 5W-40 variant available OTC in North America?

Yes sir and it's an excellent oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back