D1G2 SN+ L-M-SAPS CK & soon GF-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAFE really getting a hold now...1i'm not liking this.....can we even find a a full strength 5/30 anymore?

Do you need a product to do what you need it to?
Or do you need to call it what you need to?

You come across like you think products can't be improved upon.

Just sayin...

Originally Posted by dblshock
CAFE really getting a hold now...1i'm not liking this.....can we even find a a full strength 5/30 anymore?

What is "full strength"?

full SAPS, Zinc, Phosphorus & 2500ppm+ Ca.... tough to buy in a 5/30 without going RL or Amsoil

full SAPS, Zinc, Phosphorus & 2500ppm+ Ca.... tough to buy in a 5/30 without going RL or Amsoil

Since high Ca has been shown to help cause LSPI doubt you will find much with high Calcium.

You are basically looking for a boutique oil.. not sure why.. but dont expect the majors to provide that type of formulation.

What engine would that protect better than using a D1G2 formulation such as pennzoil platinum.

Why would you want to cause corrosion especially when you have a daily driver needing that much ZDDP then its a piece of junk engine?

A year ago this strength was all common in 5/30...the CAFE ilk was confined in W20's

A year ago this strength was all common in 5/30...the CAFE ilk was confined in W20's

Common with what oil? 5 year old stuff at kmart?

They've dumbed 5/30 down to accommodate their TGDI CAFE engines.....many non-turbo non-DI engines still in service that do not benefit from the changes....guess I'll have to move into W40 grade to escape.

They've dumbed 5/30 down to accommodate their TGDI CAFE engines.....many non-turbo non-DI engines still in service that do not benefit from the changes....guess I'll have to move into W40 grade to escape.

Where is this proven it is less effective in protection? I've heard this ranting and moaning(on bitog) since API SJ.

if you need a racing oil for a race engine.... they make that too.

I still have 25 2L tins of motul 5w30 power racing oil in my basement for sale
smile.gif

this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Motul-300V-POWER-RACING-5W30/dp/B00CPYJ5J6

I'll ship it
smile.gif

20170713_121909.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running a pre Dexos PP 5/30 in the T4R this winter, nice pour, saw the formula once like 2700 Ca full SAPS just wishing was still available or a similar alternate....

You are unaware what strength is. If you have not learned by now there is no hope. Have a good night.

Rand

Typically that's real short OCI lube, right? no API rating?

no api rating its for "sprint rally" use.. but
tbn of 8 can withstand normal street use.

PROPERTIES
HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741
3.5 mPa.s
Pour point
ASTM D97
-48°C / -54.4°F
Flash point
ASTM D92
232°C / 449.6°F
TBN
ASTM D2896
7.97 mg KOH/g

Even the German Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4 full-SAPS has been replaced by German Castrol 0W-30 C3/dexos2 mid-SAPS. It's not available in US. So, it's not a CAFE thing. It has to do with the engines evolving with direct injection etc.

You could use an A3/B4 5w-30, which is admittedly a little harder to find. An E6 5w-30 will have very high TBN, elevated HTHS, but reduced phosphorus, and will probably have a magnesium based additive package, and SA at around 1.

All SN+* oil is syn blend, even if they advertise it as conventional it's roughly 40% group III depending on weight. Seems oil's better than it's ever been.

*I know, except for some Mobil basestocks which can make SN+ with group II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back