Filter for my Turbo.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure this may have been asked before, but Still curious to know...

A few weeks ago I got a 2019 Equinox with the 1.5 turbo. So far, it seems like a nice engine....

It's the first car I have owned in many years that runs on a spin on filter ( I have 3 Ecotec 2.2 engines that ran on cartridge filters) And with the turbo, I really want to be careful. Looking all over seems to give me quite a few choices in filters. I tend to usually run the OEM filters (AcDelco) and according to Rock auto, she runs a Ultaguard filter (U64 I think) which no local store around here carries (They carry the regular Delco though)

I'm cool with ordering it- but ir Anyone running these filters? I am not sure what filter it runs off the line with, whether it is a regular or Ultraguard filter or not. But being my first turbo, I am be a bit over worried- and want to throw on a good filtering one that will keep a happy turbo.....

Also planning to change it every 4-5 months or so, not the year they suggest......

Pretty much any modern filter will do.

I have worked on many, many, MANY turbocharged diesel engines, and their oil filters are often "nothing special"... 90% efficient at 25 microns or whatever.

Plus, all the inherent soot they have in their oil..... and they STILL regular go over 10,000 hours!

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Doubt the Ultraguard if installed on the assembly line, probably just a standard cellulous media AC Delco. Ultraguards are nice filters. How much does the local Chevy dealer want for them?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Pretty much any modern filter will do.

I have worked on many, many, MANY turbocharged diesel engines, and their oil filters are often "nothing special"... 90% efficient at 25 microns or whatever.

Plus, all the inherent soot they have in their oil..... and they STILL regular go over 10,000 hours!

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

This

The new Corvettes spec the same filter. (Ultra Guard). If you can't get it locally, how about Rock Auto? $5 for a filter with 98 % multipass efficiency at 25-30 microns.

Last edited:
Here is an ultra guard cut open

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4408227/AC_DELCO_UPF_64R,_CUT_OPEN

I wouldnt chase this filter.. just go with a Fram with Silicone ADBV

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Here is an ultra guard cut open

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4408227/AC_DELCO_UPF_64R,_CUT_OPEN

I wouldnt chase this filter.. just go with a Fram with Silicone ADBV

The Fram 12060 is supposed to be out and has the higher bypass valve pressure. No one has spotted one yet. AFAIK. It will fit this application.

Lots of good choices here....makes me feel better about choosing a good filter.

Better to be safe than sorry......

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Doubt the Ultraguard if installed on the assembly line, probably just a standard cellulous media AC Delco. Ultraguards are nice filters. How much does the local Chevy dealer want for them?

Believe it or not, they don't carry them!

With turbos, filter is not as much of a concern as oil. Turbos can suffer from inferior oil, contamination, and can cook oil until the turbo chokes.

Use any oil filter of redeeming quality allowed by your warranty. Use the best synthetic your warranty allows (Dexos, I'm assuming), and change it according to the manual or better.

They should have given some free oil changes. At my Chevy dealer they charge $50 for an oil change up to six quarts. They used GM full synthetic oil, GM oil filter, tire rotation, reset monitor, multi point inspection , and an exterior car wash. Tire rotation requires a special tool and is a bit involved because the display shows each tire's air pressure in real time. Then there is the warranty issue, and carfax service reports when sold. I don't see how I can get those things done for $50 anywhere.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
They should have given some free oil changes. At my Chevy dealer they charge $50 for an oil change up to six quarts. They used GM full synthetic oil, GM oil filter, tire rotation, reset monitor, multi point inspection , and an exterior car wash. Tire rotation requires a special tool and is a bit involved because the display shows each tire's air pressure in real time. Then there is the warranty issue, and carfax service reports when sold. I don't see how I can get those things done for $50 anywhere.

Well, I did get one free oil change.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back