Toyota red in GM 3800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any harm in using Toyota Red in a 3800? I don't imagine it is anywhere near as harsh as dexcool. Just wasn't sure how it would do with the cast iron engine since most Toyota stuff is aluminum. I'm thinking it would be fine since these vehicles aren't picky but figured I would ask. Anyone aware of some bad reaction I should be aware of? Hard to pass up on clearance at Autozone, but should be able to return it in case it is a bad idea. Would be going into a 97 Regal GS L67 with all new cooling system, since it sprung a leak in the radiator. Thanks for your help guys!

It'll be fine so long as you do a thorough cleaning of the cooling system.

I'm running honda blue in my chevy right now. Swapped out dex cool for universal, then went from that to the honda stuff in the interest of avoiding the ethylhexanoic acid present in OAT coolants

I've been doing some research and apparently, Dexcool and its various clones, are the only OAT coolants that contain 2-Eha these days, the P-OAT coolants used by Asian manufacturers or Si-OAT coolants used by the VW Group do not have it.
It also seems like not only is 2-Eha harmful to silicone hoses, you see OAT coolant have been accused of not protecting older types of solder well, it seems like 2-Eha and Octanoic acids are the main culprit of that ( according to the book "Engine Coolant Testing" from 1993 )

Toyota red is a Phosphate buffered OAT coolant so as long as your owners manual doesn't say it requires Phosphate free coolant you're probably fine.

Last edited:
Toyota Red has a reduced service life 2 yrs 30k. Not worth it imho, unless you don't mind changing fluid every 2 yrs,better options out there . Peak Global Lifetime is a favorite on this site.

If it were mine i'd run Zerex G40 in it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
If it were mine i'd run Zerex G40 in it
smile.gif

Yeah, I agree with you. If I were to just go out and choose one for the car it would be the VW equivalent stuff. Very similar to dexcool without the nonsense. I didn't realize the Toyota red was the short interval stuff or I wouldn't have gotten it, I was probably thinking of the Toyota Pink. I guess I could use it in my 85 Buick instead of the standard old school green though. I will probably return this stuff and get something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back