High RPMs...thick or thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had a vehicle that was going to spend hour after hour at an RPM range of around 3-3500...would you be better off running a 0w20 or say a 0w40 assuming both were allowed by the OEM

0w40 for hour after hour repeatedly. Normal driving where this isn't the case (as a contrast) I would go with the 20wt no problem.

Last edited:
what vehicle? what engine? what load? 3500 in the parking lot?

what oil temps?

In general its ok to be thick you lose a little fuel economy in most engines

too thin can cause damage.. so I'd err on the side of thickness.

That all being said in a water cooled engine used normally (not raced or towing a load/trailer up a mountain for 30min or more.
its not all that important to use anything thicker than recommended.

Oil pump will make plenty of pressure and flow at that RPM, keep it thin, or, hey, stock!

Going thicker will just bypass more and have less flow to take the heat away.

Given your login name...... 0w40
smile.gif

0w40
For the HTHS. If you have driven your Tacoma much on the interstate yet you will realize that anything over 70 mph the transmission will downshift from 6 to 5 and find its happy place in 4th if there is any headwind , hill or heavy load. So you will be in that rpm range a lot if you take many long interstate tripsat 75-80. The faster you go the higher the load due to the nature of driving a brick into the wind.
I am not afraid of 0w20, I am running my toyota care oil toward its 5k. Then the 0w40 goes in for 5k. One more toyota care oil change after that and I can run higher HTHS oil full time and push it a little longer perhaps.
I run nearly 400 miles, 240 of it @80 mph every couple of weeks, to and from where I work rotationally.
So hours of hours of sustained 3500 rpm and there is a load on it, the truck wouldn't stick to 4th to stay in the power band if there wasn't.

5th and 6th are more handy at 50-60mph, for fuel economy,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
Oil pump will make plenty of pressure and flow at that RPM, keep it thin, or, hey, stock!

Sorry mate, that's not how it all works.

All of those post and you don't understand that hydrodynamic lubrication tenacity improves with viscosity. You can not pump a fluid wedge into a journal bearing.

That sounds like my OLD 1-ton F350 dually with 4.10 gears.... hours and hours at 3000+ RPM

SAE 30 and 15W-40 is all it has run on.... those HD (diesel type) oils will last you just fine

We need more information. What is the oil temp, how many quarts of oil, the engine, load and a few more tidbits will help. In reality the OEM does similar testing with recommended grade prior to production.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
If you had a vehicle that was going to spend hour after hour at an RPM range of around 3-3500...would you be better off running a 0w20 or say a 0w40 assuming both were allowed by the OEM

Same dilemma.
I need high rpm's to keep up and pass traffic on I70 going to ski. Once I hit I70 in Denver toward ski resorts I am above 4,5000 rpm's for 45 minutes or more, hitting regularly redline on altitude between 5,800ft and 12,000ft going up some really steep grades at that rpm.
I added last time 2qts of 0W40 (old version) i had left over from my CC I used once. But I am seriously thinking next week to switch completely to 0W40 FS.
How is your mpg on your Toyota's after switching to 0W40 (not my primary concern, just asking)?

Originally Posted by Shannow

Sorry mate, that's not how it all works.

+1

Given the OP's driving conditions definately go with the 40 weight, especially if the manual mentions it.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
0w40
For the HTHS. If you have driven your Tacoma much on the interstate yet you will realize that anything over 70 mph the transmission will downshift from 6 to 5 and find its happy place in 4th if there is any headwind , hill or heavy load. So you will be in that rpm range a lot if you take many long interstate tripsat 75-80. The faster you go the higher the load due to the nature of driving a brick into the wind.
I am not afraid of 0w20, I am running my toyota care oil toward its 5k. Then the 0w40 goes in for 5k. One more toyota care oil change after that and I can run higher HTHS oil full time and push it a little longer perhaps.
I run nearly 400 miles, 240 of it @80 mph every couple of weeks, to and from where I work rotationally.
So hours of hours of sustained 3500 rpm and there is a load on it, the truck wouldn't stick to 4th to stay in the power band if there wasn't.

5th and 6th are more handy at 50-60mph, for fuel economy,

Wow...youve read my mind! This is exactly what is going on. Let me explain....I have a company truck. Its a 2.7 (2tr-fe) 4x4 with the auto trans and a 4:30 in the rear end. It also has several upgrades including BFG All-Terrain LT 265/75 R16 tires which are very heavy. It also has steel armor on the bottom side which adds weight. Im a red meat eating, beer drinking, 6'3 nordic...which also adds weight. This truck is killer off road setup like this...better than my TRD. The downside is that it revs fast on the interstate. With the cruise on 75mph it basically sits in 4th gear at 3-3500 Rpms. It occasionally goes into 5th and settles into about 2500 RPMs...but its only briefly. 6th gear is useless...and i drive a TON..60,000 miles a year! But the truck also sees a lot of purpose driven off roading...hence the tires.

Im concerned that the 0w20 may not protect the engine adequately. The owners manual allows for a heavier weight in severe use situations. I need to run a 10k oci.

What say you all with the info at hand?

This is hardly high RPM.

Unless the oil temperatures are getting too high, I don't see why you would need thicker oil than recommended.

Thinner oil will also protect better at high RPMs during warm-up: the "do not race a cold engine" thing -- I guess if you do, you risk cavitation because the oil is too thick and can't flow fast enough through the bearings.

Im concerned that the 0w20 may not protect the engine adequately. The owners manual allows for a heavier weight in severe use situations. I need to run a 10k oci.

What say you all with the info at hand?

The part in red says it all ... go up in visvosity for more protection, even if not in many severe use situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back