Installing a new garage door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever done it? I'm hands on and handy but this would be new task for me.

16x8 standard uninsulated door.

I assume that it's not rocket science. A quick google says it should take me 3 hours. That means to plan for 6 hours.

I've done several, and a couple by myself. I used 16 penny nails to drive into the mounting boards and bend over the ends of the panels, midpoint, to hold in place and go to town with the hinges and rollers

About 15 years ago I had to replace our 16' garage door. I started to price out doors and then called a small garage door installer. To install and get a better quality door I had them install it for about a couple hundred more then what I would have to pay for just the door. Was well worth the extra cost. It might be something to check out.

I have done a couple it is not that bad of a job . Get a quote from a company.

Originally Posted by dja4260

I assume that it's not rocket science. A quick google says it should take me 3 hours. That means to plan for 6 hours.

You're correct, it ain't rocket surgery. Adjusting the torsion springs demands attention to detail and confidence in your handiness. No big deal.

Pretty simple job. I have done two, but always had a buddy help out.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by dja4260

You're correct, it ain't rocket surgery. Adjusting the torsion springs demands attention to detail and confidence in your handiness. No big deal.

The springs can put serious hurt on you.

We converted my Father in-law's single large steel swing up door into a roll-up style door ourselves. I would say it's quite easy to install a roll-up door but I would have someone help you because it's much easier with 2 people. Be careful when you wind the spring up. Be safe.

For us the hardest part was taking down the old really heavy steel door and it's side mounted counter-springs. It took us about 3/4 of the time we spent on the project with 1/4 being the new door installation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
The springs can put serious hurt on you.

When I worked in emergency I saw guys with broken arms 2 weeks in a row from adjusting (or installing) door springs. So buyer beware!

I have replaced (didn't do springs) SOMMER 0.75 HP Direct Drive. Assembled in living room and had help from work pin in a holding pin. Sommer is top notch German DIY unit virtually noise less and lifetime warranty. Safety: Don't mess with Springs unless knowledgeable.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
About 15 years ago I had to replace our 16' garage door. I started to price out doors and then called a small garage door installer. To install and get a better quality door I had them install it for about a couple hundred more then what I would have to pay for just the door. Was well worth the extra cost. It might be something to check out.

I had the same issue with replacing an opener. After 15 years it sounded like a coffee can full of rocks rolling down a hill. Went to Home Depot, priced out their best model, etc. Then called the garage door place I deal with and they installed their best grade of heavy duty opener for only $110.00 more than I would have paid for the Home Depot model with self installation. After watching the guy install it, I was glad I did. Not that difficult, but extremely clumsy to do alone.

Home Depot would have gladly installed the model I was going to buy. (They simply contract the install out to bargain basement installers, and pocket the difference). But the whole thing would have cost more than what I paid the pro to install the better model with a better guarantee. Sometimes you'll find doing it yourself doesn't save what you think it might.

If it uses a torsion spring BE VERY CAREFUL. I have seen first hand the damage it will do to the human body when that bar whips around .NOT nice. Other than that its not a hard job ,just get a helper since you have a large door.

My grandfather and I replaced a door itself once. We just installed and connected the panels one by one, in the track. But a track, and a pulley system was already in place. So we could just renew parts and springs (long coils not torsion), so it was all quite easy.

But different styles and different hardware setups may be more challenging...

The garage doors that I'm looking at have a tension system that is self contained and you use a drill to wind up the system. Kinda neat and appears to be safer then the other method. Regardless of what I purchase, I'll have a friend to help and will use the up most caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back