Oil & Filter Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I own a 2017 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi engine. When I purchased the truck new it came with two oil changes which I had done. First one at 4000 miles then the other one at 7000 miles. I know that was probably too soon but I don't put alot of miles on my vehicles and I had to use the oil changes up in the first year. The truck currently has 11,700 miles on it and according to the little sticker in the window the next oil change is at 12,700 miles. The manual calls for a SAE 5W-20 oil. I live in Northeast Missouri and drive the truck easy, except for the occasional foot to the floor, let the hemi run. Daily trips around town are the norm, except for short trips shopping, 70 miles round trip. The dealer used Pennzoil semi-synthetic and I would like to go full synthetic from now on. I have been doing some research and my choices so far are Mobil 1 for the oil and a Wax oil filter. In my old 1995 Dodge, I used Valvoline and never had any trouble so it has been on my mind also. Just wondering what your thoughts are on these brands? Thanks for any advice you can send my way.

Last edited:
You could just use plain Valvoline with a Wix filter with this mileage. No need to use Mobil One in such eady duty. I used dollar store Kendall on my 15 Ram.

In all honesty, any of the big brand oils, as well as any of the lesser known oils that have the starburst symbol on the back would be just fine. I would stick to the factory recommended 5w20 at least until you are out of powertrain warranty if you want to run something different later on. I don't believe those engine are particularly hard on oil, or very picky. As for the filter, I assume you meant WIX which is an excellent filter and thought of highly around here. The current group favorite seems to be the Fram Ultra, but any of the name brand filters should do well for you.

I've always been a Valvoline guy myself, nothing wrong with sticking with what has worked for you in the past. Valvoline is an excellent oil, use with confidence.

Thanks to all for the replies, you certainly made my choices simple for me.

71Chevyguy....Yes, I meant Wix. lol

FlyNavyP3....I remember the P3 Orion's, if that's what your name means. I was stationed at Glenview Naval Air Station from 1973 to 1974.

I wouldn't use Valvoline in a Ram, no moly. FCA made an oil with Pennzoil specifically for a 6.4 hemi and it has 4 times as much moly as average oils, because those engineers know something we don't. And m1 doesn't carry hemi spec. 5w20 PUP if you are following the book is what Ram wants you to use. Despite m1 not carrying spec it is the 2nd most popular oil used on Ram Forum behind Pennzoil synthetics. Amsoil is 3rd, redline is 4th in that poll, well over 500 votes. Ram's have some unique lubrication needs, might want to research not only hemi tick but cam lifter fails. Documented on both ram forums. We had 6 cam fails in a row be non moly'd oils, 2 were valvoline 2 were RP and I forget the other two I do believe one was ST. Coincidence? Maybe Correlation? Maybe If both answers are maybe why risk using a non moly oil considering FCA puts a lot of value in it. Most BITOGers lump your application into their value system w/o considering uniqueness of hemi's. They are high wear engines, almost all of them. High copper wear and also iron. I'd consider 30 weight if not 0w40 as well, even with mds. Also almost 1/2 the forum uses that strategy as well. Once again, the shear number of cam fails have guys searching for answers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by burla
I wouldn't use Valvoline in a Ram, no moly. FCA made an oil with Pennzoil specifically for a 6.4 hemi and it has 4 times as much moly as average oils, because those engineers know something we don't. And m1 doesn't carry hemi spec. 5w20 PUP if you are following the book is what Ram wants you to use. Despite m1 not carrying spec it is the 2nd most popular oil used on Ram Forum behind Pennzoil synthetics. Amsoil is 3rd, redline is 4th in that poll, well over 500 votes. Ram's have some unique lubrication needs, might want to research not only hemi tick but cam lifter fails. Documented on both ram forums. We had 6 cam fails in a row be non moly'd oils, 2 were valvoline 2 were RP and I forget the other two I do believe one was ST. Coincidence? Maybe Correlation? Maybe If both answers are maybe why risk using a non moly oil considering FCA puts a lot of value in it. Most BITOGers lump your application into their value system w/o considering uniqueness of hemi's. They are high wear engines, almost all of them. High copper wear and also iron. I'd consider 30 weight if not 0w40 as well, even with mds. Also almost 1/2 the forum uses that strategy as well. Once again, the shear number of cam fails have guys searching for answers.

That is a crazy statement cause if you can prove an oil related damage due to a specific name brand oil that is certified by Chrysler not only will they lose certification but would be required to pay for damages. We will never know what causes hemi cam wear or tick but can almost with certainty say it is not caused by a certified oil.

You are making the wrong point, you need to ask the question why would FCA make a hemi specific oil with over 250ppm moly? 0w40 PUP was made with FAC support for that application. Why wouldn't they just make an oil like Valvoline does and put ZERO moly? huh?

You are making the wrong point, you need to ask the question why would FCA make a hemi specific oil with over 250ppm moly? 0w40 PUP was made with FAC support for that application. Why wouldn't they just make an oil like Valvoline does and put ZERO moly? huh?

How do you know that Valvoline has no moly?

I have a 2011 with the 5.7l and I short trip it a lot with the occasional long run on the interstate as well. 7 years old and she has around 37,000 miles, yeah, I'm wearing her out. I change it twice a year, once in November to run the winter/Spring and then in May for Summer/Fall. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 with a Mopar oil filter, but I have used K&N and Mobil 1 filters as well.
Pennzoil's price point is good compared to the other brands and it meets Chrysler's MS-6395, not that it amounts to a hill of beans in the end. Just pick a quality oil with a quality filter and change it when you're supposed to and all will be fine.

Originally Posted by PimTac

How do you know that Valvoline has no moly?

most of uoa's say as much, why would anyone assume there is moly under such evidence?

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
I have a 2011 with the 5.7l and I short trip it a lot with the occasional long run on the interstate as well. 7 years old and she has around 37,000 miles, yeah, I'm wearing her out. I change it twice a year, once in November to run the winter/Spring and then in May for Summer/Fall. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 with a Mopar oil filter, but I have used K&N and Mobil 1 filters as well.
Pennzoil's price point is good compared to the other brands and it meets Chrysler's MS-6395, not that it amounts to a hill of beans in the end. Just pick a quality oil with a quality filter and change it when you're supposed to and all will be fine.

Thanks HemiBenny!

Pick a brand that meets spec that 100% of the uoa's over the last decade has moly, would be a better choice then choosing an oil that in most uoa's have ZERO moly? This is what happens when you marry yourself to a brand w/o any consideration to it's commitment to a formula that would be more beneficial to you, if you believe what the FCA engineers are doing. Either that or just eat the sack lunch you get here from the oil guys, what ever works.

I wouldn't use Valvoline in a Ram, no moly.

Current Valvoline synthetics have Moly (modern engine and advanced synthetic) and you can't blindly conclude anything from moly count.. For example conventional Pennzoil has 3X as much moly as platinum (180ish ppm vs 60ish ppm), shall we conclude the conventional protects better. How have you concluded moly is the golden additive for Hemi protection or important at all for it?

My neighbour uses bulk conventional 5w20 and an economy filter in his current Ram 1500 and had done so in his previous RAM's and all made it to high mileage without issue. These engines aren't picky on oil despite what some folks here might think.

Originally Posted by stanlee
I wouldn't use Valvoline in a Ram, no moly.

Current Valvoline synthetics have Moly (modern engine and advanced synthetic) and you can't blindly conclude anything from moly count.. For example conventional Pennzoil has 3X as much moly as platinum (180ish ppm vs 60ish ppm), shall we conclude the conventional protects better. How have you concluded moly is the golden additive for Hemi protection or important at all for it?

I am glad to see moly in some valvoline, but I absolutely can judge them for having a dodgy formula with that additive in mind. You can trust whoever you want, but who is to say there will be moly in there tomorrow, or today, considering their past? Why take a chance when most other oils have been more committed to moly for 20 plus years? The OP can research and choose his value system, but you fool me once peace out. Why I'd never use RP oil either, going from a stout moly to no moly for a decade or better, right along Valvoline. Boot that, I do not trust that formula, I don't think it would be smart for other people to make that play either.

I'm pretty sure you can read, it wasn't me saying moly is Golden additive, it is FCA engineers. Anyhow, nothing else to add, OP gl with your ram.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My neighbour uses bulk conventional 5w20 and an economy filter in his current Ram 1500 and had done so in his previous RAM's and all made it to high mileage without issue. These engines aren't picky on oil despite what some folks here might think.

Good to know, there is no reason to use that third most used oil Amsoil SS considering the ram poll then. Just use what the used to from factory, conventional Pennzoil yellow bottle, great Moly as well.

There is no reason to use it in my PentaStar considering I drove my dad's 2012 PentaStar before he got it and it now has over 300K on it with bulk conventional oil. I use Amsoil because of my past experiences with it in my Santa Fe and its high mileage. Also because my works pays for it and not me so even more reason to use it. Great protection, shipped right to my door. No stash needed and no hunting for a deal of a price and extended interval drain capabilities for all the miles I do makes for a lot less oil changes.

I have many times recommended shelf oils so lets not try to turn this into something it isn't.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back