Opinions on the Hyundai Veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering selling the dart. Basically it's had a few issues and I forsee it being more problematic in the future. I am entertaining the idea of buying a new to me used car. I am considering a Veloster with a manual. Anyone own one? Opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Ugh. I had a Veloster once as a rental in Texas. If I had been there more than two days I would have demanded a different car it was so bad. The rearview mirror and window are essentially useless, with the window size about that of a nickel. The DCT was gutless, and the three-door configuration is retarded. Other than that, I'm sure it's a great car
smirk2.gif

Don't take this offensively, how you complain about tires and other things, you need something a bit more refined. The Veloster isn't the pinnacle of reliability, ride quality or refinement.

This is kinda what I was wondering. I like that its somewhat unique but wasn't sure how they are reliability wise.

I actually agree with this. So my thought was to trade the dart in for a car a little cheaper 8-9 grand tops and put 2,000 down so my payment would be a little late and hopefully a more reliable car. The dart hasn't been awful but recently the bcm went out the radio went out then the shifter rod broke. I drive a ton and don't want to be on the side of the road.

Originally Posted by ram_man
I actually agree with this. So my thought was to trade the dart in for a car a little cheaper 8-9 grand tops and put 2,000 down so my payment would be a little late and hopefully a more reliable car. The dart hasn't been awful but recently the bcm went out the radio went out then the shifter rod broke. I drive a ton and don't want to be on the side of the road.

Elantra or Sonata

I owned one for 88K miles. It was a manual shift version too. If you're ok with a small interior, its a fine car. Now, let's get some things clear. This is an economy "sporty" car that is a tick above being an appliance where dynamics are concerned. But it looks different, is good on gas and the manual shift ones are reliable. If it's the 6spd Turbo, you're getting a much better car dynamically. Both are GDi. 1.6L 132hp // 1.6T 201hp.

The new V is supposed to be a much better car. If you get a V, share some pics.
thumbsup2.gif

I would guess the parts would be as reliable as an Elantra. Family's always had good luck with HyunKia cars so I'm not about to call that one junk. I'm a geezer, so maybe it's just me, but I would think the Elantra would be an easier car to live with on a day to day basis. You can find a one year old rental for about ten grand. If, however, the Veloster does it for you, then go ahead. You're only young once, if you are young.

I've had turbos and I've had GDI's. Never had trouble with either and maybe I'm reading too many horror stories but a combination of the two would make me a bit nervous. OTOH I've never talked to anyone who experienced (say) LSPI in any car. Sure they're out there though.

Last edited:
So my thought was to trade the dart in for a car a little cheaper 8-9 grand tops

How much do you think your Dart is worth?

BE CAREFULL!!! The car itself isn't totally awful, but the previous owner(s) might have been. Many of them were owned by young people who neglected and abused them unmercifully, giving them one of the worst reliability ratings in the industry. I'm afraid that you will not end-up any better off than you are now, and maybe worse off, sorry.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Veloster.html
If you are looking for something reliable to replace the Dart, look at cars that are near the top of the list.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So my thought was to trade the dart in for a car a little cheaper 8-9 grand tops

How much do you think your Dart is worth?

This. I'm seeing 2014 Dart's listing for 8-9 grand in Canada, so obviously they'd be significantly less in the US.

We have a first generation one in the family and although those Direct Injection engines suffered from valve build-up we have been keeping it at bay using CRC's spray through the throttle body designed for GDI engines as well as a fuel additive regularly in the tank.

The newer ones don't have the same issues which IMO would make them a decent buy if they are even 1/2 as reliable as this one has been for my cousin now that we have the valve gunk under control for her.

Trouble is I want something with a stick and something car meet friendly..I know that's dumb but it's my thing. Also the dart trade in here is 7-8000 retail is 11,000 or so. Mine has literally everything. That's based off kbb.

I hate that car. It's hard to see out of and you sit on the floor. They should have put the Third door on the driver's side for easy access. Also because the driver's side only has one door they made it REALLY long. This means you can't open the door very far without hitting the car next to you. Then once it's barely opened because you have a car next to you your now have to squeeze out that door opening. The car is for tall skinny people. Maybe you should rent one first

Last edited:
Trouble is I want something with a stick and something car meet friendly..I know that's dumb but it's my thing. Also the dart trade in here is 7-8000 retail is 11,000 or so. Mine has literally everything. That's based off kbb.

You've actually gone to a dealer and they offered you 7-8 grand for it? Or you are going by KBB? As I said, that year seems to be going for around 9 up here, so I'd expect them to be less down there
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back