Wix 51372 changed to thread end bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put on a new Wix 51372 filter on the explorer. I see they changed back to white and pleasantly surprised they now have a thread end bypass. Design looks the same otherwise.

Looks like an improvement for Mann Hummel.

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

Great option for Ford owners . I think I'm going back to wix filters for my 5.0. Thanks for the post

Interesting. For whatever reason(s) Wix has avoided using their traditional thread end bypass on the 820S equivalent. One thought was it might have had something to do with patent rights. I think an FCA Mopar application similar. Thread end on Mopar, Wix dome end.

Also notice topic filter uses center tube holes, Wix/Napa Gold have been gradually switching to louvered use, eg., 5/7356. Also notice imprinted date code and white can. Former something new-ish and ime white can used at start of a newer design. Original 57356 started out white with dome bypass, now back to traditional thread end with standard black. Wix online cat shows black for topic.

If this is new standard 51372, if pattern follows no reason to believe the NG 1372 won't be the same.

While this change will be especially desirable for persnickety FoMoCo owners here, not a huge deal 'imo' over dome end. However it will make it one the few if not only aftermarket filter in this tier with separate thread end bypass, same as Motorcraft.

Thanks for pics.

Weird. Unless the change was made in less than 2 months time, the Wix is different than the NG. My 1372 is dome end.

Another weird one - the 1334 and 31334 (m20x1.5s) are both dome end with 20+ psi bypasses (with a fine mesh screen over the bypass hole), and the 7055 spec'd for essentially interchangeable applications is a thread end. It's tough to decide which one to use, but with the mesh over the bypass and the larger media of the dome end, I think I will stick with the 1334 family. These fit my Odyssey and Subaru clan.

I guess we'll see if this is a permanent change or not. I like the white cans and bypass location better.

We have heard Ford factory filters have been white Wix made filters (not labeled as Wix). Might be the patent/Ford thing has gone away.

Also could be some overstock Ford factory filters were run on a line to Wix instead. Hopefully I didn't get a limited edition....

Now that you mention it, there have been a couple of relatively recent FoMoCo factory filter anecdotes posted here showing Wix made construction, including using Wix thread end bypass design. Perhaps that the reason allowing for the change in topic application. All used to be made by Champ Labs.

Time will tell if this a permanent change.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Date code looks weird - is it painted over?

Yep, date code looks embossed into the can, then painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back