1998 olds w/V6 3800 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 98 Olds with V6 38000. Has 146000 miles on it. Intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets all new. The engine specs for 10w 30 from 0 degrees and above and 5W30 from 60 degrees and below. Do you think there should be any issue running synthetic in it? My guess is that its had conventional oil up until now.

Best value in a used beater: anything with a 3800 Series II in it. You can buy them for a little of nothing (IMO because they are out of style "grandpa" cars) and they are almost bulletproof. The trans is the weak link. How's yours? Sloppy, slow, inconsistent shifting can usually be cured in the pan with a TransGo kit.

I've been running M1 10W30 in mine for years (but we never get below 0). High Mileage will turn black very quickly if the engine is dirty inside.

Recently the timing cover crank seal has started leaking, which has now destroyed the rubber in the motor mount under it. This is a project for next summer.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Why not?

Yes, it would be fine with syn. It runs well on anything, I used MaxLife blend a lot on my old one...

I did the same with the one I had. It was the perfect oil for it. Stopped up the weeping on the seals pretty much.

Last edited:
That engine will thrive on anything with a starburst on the bottle. Enjoy the car til the trans dies.

Yes..the engine runs and sounds like its brand new. The transmission seems like it has no issues. According to the car facts this car has seen highway most of its life which equates to only 50,000 miles worth of wear really. Car is ugly as [censored] but in mint condition . Only rust is the exhaust and a little on the rails underneath. It's more quiet and comfortable than our 2017 Pacifica

Originally Posted by Mark72
Only rust is the exhaust and a little on the rails underneath.

On a 20 year old 146,000 mile Illinois car? You haven't looked hard enough.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Why not?

The number 1 reason to use Synthetic is longer OCI. Plus an older car like that may leak after using Synthetic.

My step son bought a 98 LeSabre for a few hundred a year and a half ago. Had an inoperative blend door which made it pleasant only in spring and fall. That 3800 was a great engine, though. I would think MaxLife 5-30 would be perfect for this car, that weight is a lot better than it was a generation ago.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Only rust is the exhaust and a little on the rails underneath.

On a 20 year old 146,000 mile Illinois car? You haven't looked hard enough.

Like at the brake and fuel lines. Especially if it has rocker rot. Brake and fuel lines are notoriously troublesome on W-bodies. It's worth looking at just to be safe.

wI have a 2000 regal with the LS 67 3800
ryn QS full syn
car has a tune , down pipes qand under driive pulleys so far
I have been known to thrash on it and have had no problems running full syn
car gets parked in the winter as it came from Georgia ,,,
and the trans is is fresh as the overdrive shaft has been known to fail

The transmission seems like it has no issues.

Give it a 0-60 full throttle one time. If it slips, let off of it immediately. If it doesn't bang-shift, chatter, slow-shift or slip, it's in good shape. 30k fluid changes with MaxLife will keep it going longer. If it's been neglected and the fluid is dirty, changing it is rolling the dice, it might make it better or worse ...

When they did the gaskets, did they put in aluminum heater pipe elbows into the belt tensioner or are they still black plastic? The plastic ones crack and leak. So do the radiator tanks. Keep an eye on the coolant level.

Originally Posted by CapitalTruck
If anyone is interested in good read, a good history of the 3800

https://www.amazon.com/General-Moto...Pl=1&dpID=4128Tx2HwqL&ref=plSrch

The "Fireball V6" engine story is one that is mostly forgotten. It and the engine that spawned it, the 215/300 cubic inch Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac (BOP) V8, took up a large part of my life. Took me to Le Mans in 1984 with a Buick-sponsored March 84G powered by the 3800 as modified by McLaren that two years later became the Buick GNX engine.

Forgotten pearl of an engine.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back