12 volt Bosch drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here own one? I'm looking for something compact. It doesn't need to have the power of a 20 volt, just looking for something to run screws.

Ridgid offer a very compact 12v impact for light duty, might be worth a try.

Return it if you don't like it.

Originally Posted by dirtymudder
Anyone here own one? I'm looking for something compact. It doesn't need to have the power of a 20 volt, just looking for something to run screws.

I got one about a year ago. It's small and it's very capable. I even used it to drill some holes through metal.

[Linked Image]

Bosch 12V is quite good and Id happily recommend. While I do have one DeWalt 12V item, in the 12V range, the battery style like Bosch uses is IMO more convenient and streamlined/smaller.

Though Id say if you want smaller, look at the Makita 18V Subcompact line. You get the higher power (but more importantly, higher energy) of the 18V range, but also a smaller overall size power head for the drill and impact driver. Makita sells a kit with a drill and driver that I highly recommend. Comes in a teal colored cube with batteries and charger.

But my first Li-ion power tools were 12V Bosch, and they still work great, 10-ish years later...

milwaukee m12 fuel if you want the most power in 12v

bosch or makita have great options if you are looking for compact.

not really impressed with the dewalt 12v

I have a 12V Bosch, by far my go-to drill (I also have the hex shank drill/driver that I use even more, it's shorter than the keyless chuck model). The 12V Bosch has more power than my old 14.4V nickel based drill, but is half the weight. I've only reached for the 20V lithium drill in the last year to auger holes big holes through studs for conduit.

I have a set. Very capable for the size. The only "problem" with it is that Bosch introduces very few new tools. If all you really need is a drill/driver and an impact driver, it's really fine. Much better than an 18/20V on top of a tall ladder.

If you're looking for a 12V system with all the possible tools, Milwaukee is the only option. (There I said it.)

I came into it sideways. I picked up a Bosch 12V multi-tool at a yard sale for dirt cheap, dead battery and no charger all for $8. I took a risk and bought the drill driver/impact/2-battery set for $90 on sale, figuring I could return it, but both the dead battery and the multi-tool were good. Since then I've added the magnet LED light, which is super useful. I picked it up on closeout so no sure that exact model is still available, or the store was just dropping carrying it.

Since Craftsman moved in, now the Bosch 12V display at Lowe's is about 1 cubic foot.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I got one about a year ago. It's small and it's very capable. I even used it to drill some holes through metal.

[Linked Image]

That's the one I have.

Great drill.

For 90% of the tasks, I just grab it because it's so light and compact. I grab it for nearly every drilling task, particularly around the house. For drilling in drywall, wood, sheet metal, it's all you need. Even for most screws, it's all you need.

I would never buy Makita. With homeowner DIY use, I have a corded drill that doesn't move and a cordless with stripped gears.

One more note, the Bosch OEM batteries are high quality and last a long time, if you register online (I think they still do this) they have a 3 year warranty. This holds for their 18V system as well, where I have 6-7 old batteries, they don't last as long as the newer ones but they are still useful.

I bought this one for one job, car interior screws. It works great under the dash and tight places, it is small and on the lowest setting tightens screws in plastic parts just right.
It is also strong enough to tighten larger screws in wood also. I got the refurbished one, no problems, everything looks new and the warranty is full manufacturers warranty plus a 120 day if you don't like it send it back.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS22-02-RT-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Refurbished/dp/B00L5XEFIY

No worries about reman from Bosch, most are store returns for buyers remorse or someone needed it for one job and returned it, if it did have a defect they find it and repair it with OE parts, it is 100% when it leaves. I have quite a few from Bosch and never had any problems, they do not recondition old beat up stuff.
On one side IMO it may be a better tool, it has been gone over and tested.

https://shop.boschtools.com/about-reconditioning

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I would never buy Makita. With homeowner DIY use, I have a corded drill that doesn't move and a cordless with stripped gears.

Wow...

I've got a 35+ year old corded 3/8" Makita. Works flawlessly and it's led a hard life. I replaced the chuck with a keyless model decades ago.

My 20+ year old cordless 9.6V Makita runs perfectly, despite a hard life. I did the brushes a decade or two ago.

So do my 14.4V driver, 14.4V drill, and 18V Li-Ion drill.

And my 14.4V Oscillating Multi-tool...

Makita started the cordless drill market. They still make good tools.

My experience has been completely different than yours.

My experience mirrors yours. Lots of Makita cord and cordless tools that get worked hard and never any trouble with them, even the batteries are still going strong some after 11 years.
I got the big 18v drill bound up so tight with a 4" auger bit the clutch actually disengaged set on drill and jammed the whole drill up with the handle jacked against the wall, I loosened the chuck to get it out and was still fine no stripped gears.

Mine too. I have Milwaukee for the car tools since their 18V brushless was the best first on the market, but DeWalt and Makita caught up there. While I dont think you can go wrong with any, and each have their best tools, certainly Makita and including Makita corded tools are tough and long-lasting.

I've own and use the Bosch "Litheon" drill/driver and impactor. I bought them at Lowe's for around $100 or less for both maybe 6 years ago. They have been great for the majority of the chores I need them for. They are powerful, light and the batteries last a real long time. I also currently have DeWalt 18 & 14 volt drill/drivers. I prefer the Bosch units, if I need real drilling power I'll use my Ridged corded drill. I'm really happy with the Bosch units I have. Of course your results may vary
lol.gif

Whimsey

I was looking at Amazon, they had the 12v combo for $99 . now it's $155. Should have bought it.

Just wait a week or two. Amazon puts them on sale fairly often.

I was looking at Amazon, they had the 12v combo for $99 . now it's $155. Should have bought it.

Believe the $99 deal was for the refurbished one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back