Oil Weight for 7.3 psd in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was curious if running 10w30 or 5w40 synthetic oils in 7.3 psd would be alright year round in southern arizona?

if you go below 20F I'd stick with a 5w40

if temps never go below 20f a 15w40 would be fine.(or for warm season)

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by beanoil
In Arizona, 15w40 full time.

Some places like flagstaff do get very cold. Above about 25f 15w40 would be good. Below that a 5w40.

+1

While each engine has its quirks, a 15w-XX is good to -20 C or so. Now, whether or not I'd try to start a diesel in conditions like that without it being plugged in is another matter altogether.

Both 10w-30 and 15w-40 would work well. You're not going to see any wear control differences between those two choices.
No need for a syn in AZ, especially southern AZ. Those whom are suggesting that are just wasting our money.

If i wanted to run extended oci would it be good to run a synthetic? Right now i run rotella t4 at 5000 mile intervals.

There are two good reasons to run syns:
1) uber stupid cold temps (not likely in your area)
2) really long OCIs (often best paired with BP filtration as well)

Why not run a few UOAs with the dino lube at 5k mile intervals?; establish some baseline data. Then swap to a syn of your choice and see if you're getting 2x or 3x more of something in return for the money spent.

Thank you very much for the pointers i just got a oil analysis kit from blackstone so i can send a sample ill post the results when i get them.

I do not recommend longer OCIs with the 7.3 just due to how our injection systems are designed. Save yourself the time and money and continue with a proven dino oil at 5k OCIs and forget about it. I run Walmart Supertech 15w-40. It has provided two very good UOAs for me under severe conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back