Pennzoil Ultra Platinum enigma

wemay

Site Donor 2023
What about this oil frustrates you most?

a. hard to find in stores
b. no more Noack info
c. no dexos cert
d. not labelled as an extended drain oil
f. what makes it better than Platinum

I just bought some on Amazon for $24 ea. w/free shipping. Decent deal.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why oil company's don't do a better job at spot checking their retailers that sell their products. It's an epidemic problem everywhere that they seem to always be out of one or multiple grades or brands. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
I have some that I bought from Walmart online (Then SOPUS wouldn't accept info from WM for rebate)

I haven't run it yet.

I'm currently running the Mobil 1 AP 5W-20 that was $10 a jug on clearance from AutoZone

Originally Posted by wemay
...what makes it better than Platinum ....
Other than Pennzoil putting it at the top the oil chain, no idea. PP now SN+, no reason for me to pay more. That said, I'm sure it's a quality synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is it really better than Pennzoil Platinum?

I think SOPUS was strongly touting PUP keeping engines super clean when it was new...I think that was why it was the "best".
I noticed the published Noack loss for PUP 5W30 was slightly higher than PP 5W30 when they were brand new and thought that was kind of weird for the "best" oil...but, of course, Noack loss is not everything!
Those who have been obsessing about oils for a while might remember that the "old" Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 (non-GTL and not Platinum) was viewed as a super oil with a low 6.6% Noack loss (per the PQIA), an excellent CCS viscosity for the grade, lots of Boron, etc. I never got a chance to try it...may not have been the best choice for my engine with a big dose of calcium, though.

if your looking for a good full strength SN motor oil this is it, I'd like some 10/30 for the T4R @$10 a/r.

Originally Posted by 4WD
e. Louder than M1 in two of my engines

I found the opposite with my Honda. I was running M1 0w20 AFE and now am running Ultra 5w20 and I find that the engine runs a bit smoother and valve train noise is slightly less.

Ultra is not hard to find at all up here, although for many years it completely disappeared from the shelves. It's always been a confusing oil, and these days with it not having the dexos certification is does make the average person wonder if it's better than Platinum or not.

As far as "no noack info", that's something that can be said for pretty much every oil these days other than the smaller boutique oils like Amsoil. Nobody seems to want to release noack anymore, maybe because the newest oils aren't quite as good in this regard lately?

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by 4WD
e. Louder than M1 in two of my engines

I found the opposite with my Honda. I was running M1 0w20 AFE and now am running Ultra 5w20 and I find that the engine runs a bit smoother and valve train noise is slightly less.

Ultra is not hard to find at all up here, although for many years it completely disappeared from the shelves. It's always been a confusing oil, and these days with it not having the dexos certification is does make the average person wonder if it's better than Platinum or not.

As far as "no noack info", that's something that can be said for pretty much every oil these days other than the smaller boutique oils like Amsoil. Nobody seems to want to release noack anymore, maybe because the newest oils aren't quite as good in this regard lately?

Same with my 2002 Honda Odyssey. It calls for 5W20, but I use 5W30. The Mobil-1 5W30 is noticeably louder than the PUP in the same grade.

I run Pennzoil Platinum in my Jeep. I would run the Ultra Platinum but my Wal-Mart doesn't stock it. I buy based on convenience, and of course, price. All the chain auto parts stores in my area charge $5 to $10 a jug more for most all their synthetic motor oils. If and when Wal-Mart ever stocks it, I'll buy it.

I typically buy a 1 year supply from WMT online. I try to time it with a rebate. On occasion if they have a rollback, or another rebate I'll buy more. I currently have about a 2 year supply on hand. I have no plans of buying more at the moment.

PUP was my personal fave, but the lack of Dexos1 Gen2 certs is the reason I switched to PP. IMHO, PUP is no longer relevant in today's modern GDI/TGDI world.

Maybe they did not want to keep buying PAO from CVX when they have tons of GTL now …

I cant run PUP anymore because it doesnt meet the proper specs for my engine.

In other vehicles I wouldnt hesitate to run it.. but not at a price premium.

For those that missed it … this was Pennzoil Ultra

1C89C9A0-DFA8-4A57-B361-D8A7B4409930.png

Back