Eco boost parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been gearing up to start the timing chain job on our 2014 explorer sport with 3.5L eco boost. Working with Ford White Bear Lake and sent them my part numbers list for verification and price quote. According to the gentleman I'm working with, based on the vin I have an older architecture 3.5EB with phasers/solenoids on the intake cam only and, more curiously that it has an external water pump. This is a bit odd to me. I do believe the cam timing gear could be different although I didn't know it was that different. I though all these 3.5s has internal water pumps, though??

He's half right and half wrong. That engine does have VVT only on the intake cams, however the water pump is internal, not external.

You do have the cam holding tools, right?

Originally Posted by 14Accent
He's half right and half wrong. That engine does have VVT only on the intake cams, however the water pump is internal, not external.

You do have the cam holding tools, right?

Lisle tools sells those cam holders and they are really cheap for special tools

Cam holders are sourced. I'm a little worried about this water pump thing. Finding some weird parts numbers on ford parts.com. Showing a serpentine water pump pulley which makes no sense based on everything I know. I can't see [censored] of the accessory belt with starting turbo and motor mount disassembly.

My source states part# DG1Z8501A for the water pump. Though it seems it may have been superseded by part# DG1Z8501B??
Both have spur gear drives......

Originally Posted by clinebarger
My source states part# DG1Z8501A for the water pump. Though it seems it may have been superseded by part# DG1Z8501B??
Both have spur gear drives......

That is what I come up with except it says replaced by DG1Z-8501-C

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-water-pump-assembly-dg1z8501c/?c=Zz1jb29saW5nLXN5c3RlbSZzPXdhdGVyLXB1bXAmaT1LRDA5MDU5NSZyPWxheWVyXzEmYT1mb3JkJm89ZXhwbG9yZXImeT0yMDE0JnQ9c3BvcnQmZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'm waiting for an email reply but I don't know why they were thinking its an external pump.

Originally Posted by buck91
Sounds good. I'm waiting for an email reply but I don't know why they were thinking its an external pump.

Because if your parts person is not a "car guy/girl" they either don't know or don't care.

Originally Posted by buck91
So I've been gearing up to start the timing chain job on our 2014 explorer sport with 3.5L eco boost. Working with Ford White Bear Lake and sent them my part numbers list for verification and price quote. According to the gentleman I'm working with, based on the vin I have an older architecture 3.5EB with phasers/solenoids on the intake cam only and, more curiously that it has an external water pump. This is a bit odd to me. I do believe the cam timing gear could be different although I didn't know it was that different. I though all these 3.5s has internal water pumps, though??

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2014,explorer,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,3298576,cooling+system,water+pump,2208

Judging by the photos on RockAuto.com , looks like the pump is chain driven .

Is this the engine that dies when the pump seal goes bad & leaks coolant into the oil pan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back