2006 LX Pilot vs 2006 MDX Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so here's another thread seeking some help from any MDX(190K) or Pilot(220K) owners.

Understand transmission is the weakest point, is there anything else current owners would advise I should be paying attention too?

I am planning to check both of these vehicle and both are in $3K range. What should be a good price for them? Thanks for help
thumbsup2.gif

I have a 2005 Pilot. By 2006 the transmission was well sorted, except the external sensors do wear out. They are cheap and easy to replace yourself.

Look for:

Blinking "D" light. May have to take a long drive to get it. If no CEL, use it as a bargaining chip (see above). If goes with CEL, avoid buying, truly bad transmission.

Pink milkshake in coolant, purple ATF. Means it needs a new radiator yesterday.

Rocking driver's seat. The metal seat frame cracks. The fix is either a $600 assembly, or fabricate a plate, remove 2 bolts and grind away 2 rivets and put plate in place.

Burnt out resistor or control disables rear HVAC. A couple of simple/cheap fixes here, use as bargaining chip.

Check front HVAC mix and blend operation. Both of these motors tend to go out around 150K, pick up rebuilds on eBay for $90. I rebuilt mine myself using pick and pull parts, kept parts swapping internals until I got a good mix. Clicking noise is your clue.

What zfast03 said, in maintenance history you also need to look for VTM-4 (rear diff) fluid changes.

If the engine burns oil, it may just need a new PCV valve, which is affordable and easy to replace, but replacement was not part of the original maintenance schedule (other than "check operation").

Given my 211K mile Pilot experience, I would jump on a good deal on a 2006 MDX or Pilot.

Unfortunately no maintainece records on either, except the verbal maintenance confirmation. Might have to wait or go and rest drive them.

Last edited:
The timing belts are due on each so ask. What's better not sure , it's flip of coin and what appeals to your needs as they are different.

Make sure the Pilot is the AWD model and not FWD. The FWD have cylinder deactivation and my aunt had a 2007 FWD Pilot that ejected the spark plug at ~110k miles and loved to burn oil. Too costly to repair so she replaced it with a 2015 Pilot with VCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back