Gas boiler frustrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ranting. Lost heat on Sunday night with our 25 year old Weil-Mclean NG boiler. Woke up to 61 in the house. Pilot ok, spark ok, vent dampner works properly. Turn the valve off, lose pilot, turn it back on, immediate pilot. Pilot is baking the flame sensor. OK NBD, ordered the flame sensor to start, its dated 1991 so why not, 150$ and overnight shipping. Swapped it out, no change. OK time to get the guy here. He takes a look and confirms its the gas valve....which is NLA. I called the supply house that I got the flame sensor from. I gave them the part number and they had only one updated option. Ordered it, got it on thursday and took a look. 3/4" in and out, mine is 1/2". My burner is 110k btu, this valve is rated at 250k lowest, up to 440. So of course that wont work safely, and now Im stuck replacing the whole unit on an emergency call for Saturday, with the highs looking to be 30 all next week, forcing my hand to a unit thats locally in stock. Peerless wouldnt be in until tuesday earliest, so we went with a Williamson to get the ball rolling. Frustrating when a "simple" 500$ fix turns into $5k. There were Honeywell update kits that would have been in mid week, however I dont know if the heating guys have had any experience updating these units, and it would be another week down with space heaters. /endrant.

I've used Patriot supply.. Should have been able to get a valve for that I would think easier than a new install! I have oil burner and they need constant attention.to ensure a proper burn and decent efficiency. The older boilers should be good for 35 years service at least. Just require component replacement now and then.
Good luck!
No fun loosing heat when it gets really cold. I have a wood stove backup that can heat the whole 2 story LOg Cabin with no wall insulation to 90degF in sub zero weather. BTW, It was 8degF this morning here in the northeast U.S. with high winds. Again, good luck getting some heat!

Last edited:
Yea the valve is discontinued, and they only offered Honeywell updates that "should" work. The vale I ordered was way too big, and they didnt want to step down the fittings since they have no way of controlling the flow. The old valve was a variable flow knob, this one is just on off toggle switch.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I've used Patriot supply.. Should have been able to get a valve for that I would think easier than a new install! I have oil burner and they need constant attention.to ensure a proper burn and decent efficiency. The older boilers should be good for 35 years service at least. Just require component replacement now and then.
Good luck!
No fun loosing heat when it gets really cold. I have a wood stove backup that can heat the whole 2 story LOg Cabin with no wall insulation to 90degF in sub zero weather. BTW, It was 8degF this morning here in the northeast U.S. with high winds. Again, good luck getting some heat!

I love log cabins, any chance you will post some pictures of it someday ?

The repair guy told me the new gas boilers that hang on the wall are great unit they break and then it's a $1000 part rather than a $100 part on an old style boiler.

I would of use the new valve. Gas pressure is set by the regulator in the valve 3.5" and the the amount of gas entering the burners is set by the orfices at each burner. What is the model number of the new valve?

The larger valve was White-rodgers 36C84-923, my original ended in -913 I think, its in the garbage now.... The tech that was there couldnt guarantee the fitment, and I couldnt gamble on it not working and then needing another 3-5 days for boiler to arrive and install. Currently watching the temp rise in here, they just finished the install, about 3.5 hours start to finish. It was a Genesis 110k unit that went in, owned by Williamson?

Williamson was owned by weil mclain years back,wm makes good product. I prefer standing pi lots no guess if it conks out,keep it simple. Enjoy the new boiler!

I had a similar situation back in the 90's, pilot sensor NLA, gas valve NLA, on a 10 yr old boiler. The only part available to me locally was used and did not work. A new gas valve and controls would be $500. After numerous phone calls in the Tri state area I was directed to Charles Connelly in Lyndhurst NJ. For $100 I got a Honeywell Flame Rectification kit ,it kept my boiler going til I sold in 2010. http://www.connollydist.com

Last edited:
Small world, I own a shop less than a mile from there. I actually went there after my heating guy called to check the part. I live about 5 miles away so I went down there and showed them, nothing listed at all. Supplyhouse.com actually was helpful, although they were only able to source the larger valve and couldnt verify the fit, which I had to return.

Originally Posted by Donald
The repair guy told me the new gas boilers that hang on the wall are great unit they break and then it's a $1000 part rather than a $100 part on an old style boiler.

Same with gas fired tankless water heaters.

They are amazing devices - but almost cheaper to replace than repair.

Originally Posted by Donald

That makes me feel better that I signed a contract to convert my boiler to gas rather than get one of the more efficient on the wall instant units. I'm converting a Beckett oil burner to a Carlin gas burner. I like going with stuff the local supply house has parts for in case a part goes out.

Maybe not directly relevant to this case, but one thing I've discovered over the last couple decades is that when it comes to HVAC, NO ONE wants to repair anything. You need a new unit. We'll gladly quote one for you.

Do you have Burnham in your area? That's pretty much what I see in this area in terms of gas boilers. Weil-Mclean, Peerless and a bunch of other smaller brands make up the rest. But the difference is that if you call up a plumber most of them will know how to fix a Burnham and most supply houses here have them.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Maybe not directly relevant to this case, but one thing I've discovered over the last couple decades is that when it comes to HVAC, NO ONE wants to repair anything. You need a new unit. We'll gladly quote one for you.

In other words, it's the same as when you have a transmission problem.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Not quite, they will replace just the transmission, and in fact I just had one pulled, rebuilt with upgraded parts and reinstalled (and a darn fine job too).

It would be more like if every mechanic sold new cars, and when you went in with a leaking radiator, they tell you it's not worth fixing, something else will just break, or they can't get that radiator any more, you need a new car, and they have one right here.

I can post a picture of my Neighbors
smile.gif
His is a nice one, mine is a dump.

I don't recommend them to anyone.

Nice atmosphere - and they can take a cannonball hit - but thats about it.

Last edited:

I've noticed this as well... my furnace is now 17 years old. 2 years ago it started short cycling, the blower when set to AC wouldn't run at all, and when set to heat it would overheat and short cycle. Called a place and was told "it's at the end of its lifetime, you need to be looking for a new system."

Called a friend and described my issue, he had me check if there was voltage getting to the blower. Nope. Relays on the board had failed, $100 for a new board I installed myself and we've been good since.

Originally Posted by Kage860
That makes me feel better that I signed a contract to convert my boiler to gas rather than get one of the more efficient on the wall instant units. I'm converting a Beckett oil burner to a Carlin gas burner. .

Keep us updated on how that Carlin gas burner conversion works out. I'm planning on doing the same thing in the spring.

We have a Beckett oil burner and it's great, super reliable and simple to troubleshoot/repair with easily available parts. However, heating with oil is just too expensive plus the hassle of the oil tank and all.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Yep.

But the OP did say his boiler was 25 years old....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back