Yet Another Cruise Ship Vomit Fest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were going on an RC cruise for the honeymoon this May.

This'll give the future MIL something to worry about for sure...

*This could have been someone in the kitchen being ill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

"Passenger Shawn Popeleski told the Orlando Sentinel that they were told via a shipwide announcement Friday that the outbreak is "most likely" related to norovirus. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, norovirus is a type of gastrointestinal illness and is "very contagious." You can catch it from people infected by it and by touching contaminated surfaces or eating or drinking contaminated food and water.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by dlundblad

]"Passenger Shawn Popeleski told the Orlando Sentinel that they were told via a shipwide announcement Friday that the outbreak is "most likely" related to norovirus. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, norovirus is a type of gastrointestinal illness and is "very contagious." You can catch it from people infected by it and by touching contaminated surfaces or eating or drinking contaminated food and water.

You are on a ship...there are handrails everywhere, to stop you falling over...there are people holding onto them 24/7...don't take the stairs, then you tounch the elevator buttons...which have been touched by everyone else who has used the elevator

Sorry billt...I asked earlier how many RC cruises you have been on to provide some semblance of authority...2 here

bag of hammers.jpg

It's actually a two step process. You touch the contaminated surface, then you touch you face (nose, mouth, eyes).

I think a person is more likely getting sick from the airplane ride to the cruise ship than the cruise ship itself. I like cruises and have never been sick on one yet. I cannot image paying all that money and being sick for a week that would totally be a waste.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
You would think at some point the people who run these giant floating petri dishes, would contact the Navy on how to feed large numbers of people without poisoning them.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...caribbean-cruise-ship-n957821?yptr=yahoo

I agree.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/11/health/navy-norovirus/index.html

This is an interesting article on how the Navy prevents it. They screen and inoculate the sailors before they are allowed to board. And they keep everything CLEAN. When you book passage on one of these filthy, floating scows, neither you or the cruise ship operators know the health of the thousands of people who pile on them for every trip. And from the constant outbreaks these things have experienced over the last few years, that have managed to sicken thousands of people, they don't seem to care much about it.

Cruise lines have to turn a profit. The U.S. Navy doesn't. And the Navy can't afford to have half the ships population come down sick during wartime, or any other time for that matter. Royal Caribbean has said they will be handing out full refunds to those who were effected. Perhaps those people will spend their vacation dollars a bit wiser next time. It shouldn't be too hard for them to find better things to do on an expensive vacation, then being quarantined in a cabin with a severe case of vomiting and diarrhea.

Originally Posted by Shannow
it's got SFA to do with food hygiene....

Exactly right!
We've done somewhere north of twenty cruises with four on RCCL and another four on sister line Celebrity and we've never gotten sick nor have we seen many others who did.
We did a kitchen tour on a sea day on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan around ten years ago.
The standards of cleanliness and food prep are very high.
You will occasionally run through seas rough enough that some will experience mal de mar.
I never do and wife always gets a scopolamine patch script from her doctor before we do any cruise, although she has rarely needed to use a patch.
Norovirus is another matter and appears to be fairly common on cruise ships, but it may be that we've developed immunity over many travels with sub-acute symptoms barely noticed by us.
I know that on our December cruise on NCL Breakaway out of New Orleans, a number of people did get sick, probably norovirus, but we felt no symptoms.

While you can catch noro from foods, it's not the usual way it happens. It's usually person to person and when you pack thousands of people into that small a space it seems to happen. This is why they are constantly sanitizing surfaces around the ship and ask you to use hand sanitizer. So I'd really put odds on that.

Originally Posted by Shannow
it's got SFA to do with food hygiene....

Yeah.

Personal hygiene is the issue.

People don't wash their hands after using the lavatory, or handrails, or utensils. They spread all sorts of nasty germs, pick them up, touch their mucous membranes far too often...and contract the diseases...

It has a lot to do with people proximity and to me is seems time of year. My observation in healthcare is that norovirus breaks out jan- early april. I don't know why, perhaps weather causes more indoor confinement.

Norovirus is not killed with hand gel, only manual removal with soap and water, and cleaning things with dilute bleach. It runs through schools, assisted living centers, and it runs through hospitals. Its not exclusive to cruise ships. But it makes good news stories.

Last edited:
Yep.

Hospitals struggle with it, too.

And their staff wash their hands a lot more frequently...

Maybe we should all take a hint from the hospital staff, who rarely get sick, despite being around all those germs...

Last edited:
When a cruise ship gets norovirus it's national news. There's plenty of all inclusive resorts that ALWAYS have norovirus. They're in third world countries and there's no videos of them pulling into port.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/11/health/navy-norovirus/index.html

This is an interesting article on how the Navy prevents it. They screen and inoculate the sailors before they are allowed to board. And they keep everything CLEAN. When you book passage on one of these filthy, floating scows, neither you or the cruise ship operators know the health of the thousands of people who pile on them for every trip. And from the constant outbreaks these things have experienced over the last few years, that have managed to sicken thousands of people, they don't seem to care much about it.

Cruise lines have to turn a profit. The U.S. Navy doesn't. And the Navy can't afford to have half the ships population come down sick during wartime, or any other time for that matter. Royal Caribbean has said they will be handing out full refunds to those who were effected. Perhaps those people will spend their vacation dollars a bit wiser next time. It shouldn't be too hard for them to find better things to do on an expensive vacation, then being quarantined in a cabin with a severe case of vomiting and diarrhea.

I'm guessing the cruise industry isn't going to last long treating guests like sailors. People are nasty. People are unhealthy. Getting sick on cruise ships is just going to happen.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Yep.

Hospitals struggle with it, too.

And their staff wash their hands a lot more frequently...

Maybe we should all take a hint from the hospital staff, who rarely get sick, despite being around all those germs...

I can tell you that i avoid touching my face unless i have just washed and DRYED my hands. I wash my hands before using the restroom as well as after. For the most part i leave my phone in my locker. I try not to let land line phone mouthpieces touch my face. I keep my ink pen in my pocket and i use a different one when patients need to sign consents. i wash my hands after and wipe pens with bleach wipes.

I don't know the efficacy of cholorohexidine with regard to norovirus. We have 3M Avaguard with chlorohexidine surgical scrub gel, the chloro in that is supposed to remain active on skin for 6 hours even with continued washing. I use a bit of that every morning.

Gloves in a non sterile environment can give you a false sense of security if you don't wash before and after removing them, and be conscious of what you touch while wearing them. I would recomment having nitrile gloves on hand, If a family member gets norovirus, confine them to using 1 bathroom and wear gloves to clean it with bleach. Sink handles doorknobs cabinet handles , tv remotes etc.

It's simple. All you-can-eat buffets. Everyone loads their plate, chaws down with their fingers, especially those tasty shrimp with the sea food sauce, then go back to the lineup and handle the servicing utensils, spreading the virus.

We had cruise ship passengers on a day-trip show up at our hotel in Mexico, and within the next day our entire hotel full of guests were sick.

As an emergency measure the hotel brought out extra staff to dish out the food. The guests were not allowed to use the servicing utensils, and hand cleaner was distributed everywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
I'm guessing the cruise industry isn't going to last long treating guests like sailors. People are nasty. People are unhealthy. Getting sick on cruise ships is just going to happen.

The Navy also doesn't have to talk about sickness aboard its vessels while the cruise industry can't prevent passengers from talking and relaying messages and even video in real time.
It's a bit silly to compare a ship with only a mostly young and fit crew under military discipline with a far larger one carrying a larger crew compliment plus a few thousand guests with widely varying levels of fitness and health free to do whatever they please.
It isn't unusual for someone to die of natural causes while on a cruise. We had two such deaths on our last cruise, with one aboard the ship and the other while snorkeling on an excursion.
I can also recall a guest collapsing in a dinning room maybe a dozen years back and having to be backboarded to the ship's infirmary after eating a mere dozen lobster tails, which were good although I found a deuce of them to be plenty.
This would obviously not happen aboard any naval vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back