Early 00's Caddy Deville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money pit? Talk me out of a low mile 2002ish Cadillac. I cant help but remember the rental Deville I had around 2003, it was awesome. Part of me says forget it, you dont want to be fixing things constantly. Part of me says yayyyyssss!!! Other than maybe reliability, they are nice looking and nice driving cars.

Trying to anticipate issues...headgasket, AC recirc, window regulators? I've fixed GM windows myself multiple times. What else to look out for?

As things go, if it's low mile and well cared for you're probably alright. It's going to have Cadillac quirks no matter what. You can forget about head gasket issues and the like, those were all taken care of by 2003. Beyond that, you pretty much nailed it. Window regulators are weak in those cars, but not expensive or hard to replace.

At this age, the coolant tanks are known to crack and split. They're about $90. Not that big a deal to replace.

Depending on what trim level, if it has Magneride the struts may be failing and in need of replacement. OEM is bookoo bucks, aftermarket is available. Personally, I would only consider a DTS. It's the one worth getting, and I'd be very picky about what options mine had if I were looking for one. They came with lots of different options and I would want mine loaded.

Also, don't over pay. They aren't worth that much, honestly. I paid $1,200 for my 2003 STS with only 133k on it. It needed a couple hundred in parts to get it running tip top, and it's got every option available in 2003. However, it isn't perfect. It could still use another 2-300 in repairs and eats oil like crazy. It's getting better, but these engines were babied and they shouldn't have been. It's starting to show 20-odd years later.

Had a 2000 Deville until 185k miles. Overall a great reliable car. List of known issues:
1. Window regulators. All will fail. Look up cotter pin mod. Easy permanent fix.
2. It will leak and burn oil at an alarming rate forever without issue.
3. Expansion tank will need replacing, usually a stuck sensor before failure from cracks.
4. Front motor mount fails constantly. I got good at replacing it. 2005 or so I heard it was fixed by going back to the old design with dog bones.
5. Coolant crossover gasket will most likely fail eventually. Starts off as a slow leak, gets worse over time. I always used dexcool and coolant supplement.
6. Dash curls up in high heat climates.
7. Fuel pump or level sensor needs replacing on most, only 1 time and is easy with access panel.
8. Replace the cam belt tensioner before it seizes the bearing and melts the cam drive pulleys. If it does $$$$.

14Accent you could try the dealer fix for oil burning if you are worried. Take out spark plugs and put a couple oz. of Top Engine Cleaner down the plug holes and let sit overnight. Vacuum out or close hood and crank over but it will make a mess. Change oil. Put plugs in and start. Take on freeway, put in 2nd and floor it up to 70-75 and let off gas back to 55, repeat.
Not a permanent fix, probablem usually returns after a year or 2.

Last edited:
Money pit? Probably.
But if you can afford to fix the car that you really want,go for it.
You only live once,no regrets.

Originally Posted by FL-400S
What kind of mileage would you expect head gasket probs? What repair cost?

My friends 02 dhs had 80k on it when his let go. You can't do the heads in the car so the whole subframe must be dropped . His cost was $8k to do this. Much of the cost was for labor to put inserts in every head bolt hole.

Actually 2000 was first head gasket redesign. Failures went way down but not completely fixed until 2005. 2000+ should be close to as good as normal cars as far as head gaskets go. Pretty sad it took 10-15 years to fix.

Last edited:
Buy the time it was completely fixed it was a pretty good engine. Same as the diesels two decades before, but those they killed off right after that. Can't remember if the 4100 had a similar history.

get a late 70's Cadillac, that way you will enjoy fixing it, and they looked much more classy and luxurious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back