2013 Lexus IS 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts or experience with this vehicle? It's a RWD F Sport model with 42,xxx miles, original owner, all scheduled maintenance performed by Lexus.

If you're a tall fella you might want to pass. If you're a married fella you might want to pass. If you're a fella with wife and kids you might want to pass. You get my point fella? The interior room is cramped to say the least fella!

I would drive it.

I test drove a 2012 IS350 and was not impressed. Very cramped and I'm 5'10 150lbs so not exactly a big guy. The throttle response was pretty vague, it didn't feel like a 300hp sport sedan unless you really got into it. The one I drove was AWD though, so that might've contributed.

The IS is on the smaller side of things, it's as cramped as a older Civic for the rear seat passengers. I've haven't driven one. The 2013 models were the last of the 2nd gen IS models so it still has classic Lexus styling.

42K is nothing for these, these engines use D4-S so a smaller chance of GDI-related flotsam on the valves.

As mentioned by others and Cr even the major knock on them is the interior size. A Lexus GS 350 RWD would be my choice. Plenty of them around, check Carmax. Should get a good deal on one since the sedan market is soft. Time to pounce.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I test drove a 2012 IS350 and was not impressed. Very cramped and I'm 5'10 150lbs so not exactly a big guy. The throttle response was pretty vague, it didn't feel like a 300hp sport sedan unless you really got into it. The one I drove was AWD though, so that might've contributed.

Did you make sure the "PWR" button was selected on the dash? (illuminates "PWR" on the inst cluster when selected)
Being AWD also usually makes performance suffer.
Power mode REALLY wakes up the motor and throttle sensitivity. I drive with mine in "NORM" mode as it's our bi-weekly grocery getter.
I'm 5'8" 155lbs and this car fits my frame like a glove (seats could be comfier tho, despite being heated and cooled).

Most of the time I forget to use "PWR" mode but when I do, watch out!
19.gif

Thank's for all the replies so far! I actually drove this car a couple times, a neighbor several houses down from me owns it. I am 6' 185lbs and the interior, while small for a sedan, seems comfortable to me.
The back seat area is very small, but the only thing riding back there would be a satchel/briefcase.
This would share DD duties with my 08 Civic Si coupe.
I am mostly wondering if there are any (common or known) issues with the engine or automatic trans in this vehicle?

As someone else said, the GS is a wonderful car. But they ain't cheap.
The IS is too small for me, like a BMW 3 series, and I an not a large person.
Once in awhile is OK, but not sure I would own one.

Just an observation to consider. The IS seems to be by far the most neglected and poorly maintained of the Lexus brand. Maybe the owners it drew new or high number of leases or??. I was looking at them and a 10 year old LS was almost always in better shape than a 5 year old IS. Maybe it is like the C class for Lexus

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
Any thoughts or experience with this vehicle? It's a RWD F Sport model with 42,xxx miles, original owner, all scheduled maintenance performed by Lexus.

First generation IS was dubbed by Toyota as BMW 3 killer. It even had inline six engine. While it has some fallowing, it never was competition. Lexus figured that and made IS more attractive to their traditional audience. That is why they moved to V6, they dropped manual, but kept some interior dimensions that are more suitable for 3 series etc.
I think it is interesting car for people who want some performance, but also more forgiving car than BMW, or Audi. I would say closest match would be Mercedes.
The question is what you looking?
If interior dimensions are OK for you, and you want reliable car, I would say by all means go for it.
If you are stuck on performance, there are far better choices (not to say that IS does not deliver).
But as turbo lover, will you like torque at 4700rpms? I found these Toyota's to be very anemic at low rpms, and that is fine if torque was available to 7,000 rpms. But it is not. They IMO have very narrow torque curve at high rpms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

If interior dimensions are OK for you, and you want reliable car, I would say by all means go for it.
If you are stuck on performance, there are far better choices (not to say that IS does not deliver).
But as turbo lover, will you like torque at 4700rpms? I found these Toyota's to be very anemic at low rpms, and that is fine if torque was available to 7,000 rpms. But it is not. They IMO have very narrow torque curve at high rpms.

I suppose reliability is my top concern. The performance of this car is adequate for the role it will serve.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver

Originally Posted by edyvw

I suppose reliability is my top concern. The performance of this car is adequate for the role it will serve.

Than man go for it. They really do not have any reliability issues. I find them as lost opportunity on Toyota's part. If they brought back manual shifter and made it more analogue, they could get a lot of market from traditional Euro drivers who are not that happy with all this push to making everything computerized, with 100+ driver modes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back