Who cooks like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
would todays cooks , cook this up in their kitchen? I'm guessing no one's Grandmother would.

Here is the list--
Ingredients
Chicken Broth, Carrots, Cooked White Chicken Meat, Egg Noodles (Semolina Wheat, Wheat Flour, Egg*), Celery. Contains Less than 2% of: Water, Modified Food Starch, Chicken Fat, Corn Protein (Hydrolyzed), Salt, Egg White*, Potassium Chloride, Carrot Puree, Onion Powder, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Sodium Phosphate, Tomato Extract, Garlic Powder, Parsley*, Chives*, Maltodextrin, Spice, Natural Flavor, Flavoring, Beta Carotene (Color). *Dried.

Originally Posted by csandste
yummmm.... Hydrolyzed Corn Protein. Delicious.

Just like Granny cooked,,,lol

So where's the MSG?
laugh.gif

Got to love modern food. I'm glad I'm one of the people who basically ignores what's in the food they eat. I try not to eat boxed meals, canned meals, things like that but otherwise I just shovel it in and hope for the best. So far, my physicals haven't shown any major issue aside from slightly high cholesterol which runs in the family, and slightly high blood pressure which I attribute directly to my smoking.

I also don't work out or exercise since I'm on my feet 10 hours a day not including after work hours.

It's all about moderation.

It's actually not a bad ingredient list for a modern canned soup product.

It is indeed delicious! That's the Umami-inducing "hidden" glutamic ingredient, along with the "Soy protein isolate".
These are all flavourings that serve the same purpose as MSG and are produced by breaking down plant wastes with hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) and then neutralizing it with lye. The results are various plant amino acids, one of which is glutamic acid, the addictive stuff.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
It's actually not a bad ingredient list for a modern canned soup product.

It is indeed delicious! That's the Umami-inducing "hidden" glutamic ingredient, along with the "Soy protein isolate".
These are all flavourings that serve the same purpose as MSG and are produced by breaking down plant wastes with hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) and then neutralizing it with lye. The results are various plant amino acids, one of which is glutamic acid, the addictive stuff.

yummmm....Stomach acid and lye. Delicious.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
So where's the MSG?
laugh.gif

I think it's the modified food starch

that's the rub... there are several places they can legally hide it.
could be any/all/ or none of the following: Spice, Natural Flavor, Flavoring

Slightly off topic, but I still find it amusing that MSG was the "control" when NutraSweet was being tested as an artificial sweetener...why not sugar, HFCS, Sacchrin, or any of the OTHER artificial sweetners ?

(Rhetorical question...we know why).

Originally Posted by Shannow

Slightly off topic, but I still find it amusing that MSG was the "control" when NutraSweet was being tested as an artificial sweetener...why not sugar, HFCS, Sacchrin, or any of the OTHER artificial sweetners ?

(Rhetorical question...we know why).

You have any links to that assertion? MSG seems like a strange control.

Yep, put short it's the nicotine of the food world
(as I coincidentally eat "mama" brand ramen noodles from Thailand as I post this)

Originally Posted by Leo99
You have any links to that assertion? MSG seems like a strange control.

Been looking online...the references were in magazines about 15-20 years ago.

Closest links I could find would be labelled "P"...was banned, then changes in the leadership of the FDA, and was unbanned...look up aspartame approval process and follow the rabbit hole.

Originally Posted by dave123
99.9% of people on this site day in and out eat this and much worse.

Huge food and phama corps gotta eat somehow.

I've been reading labels and boxes since I could read. There are so many items that premium brands and store brand stuff is exact same ingredients in exact same order. Hmmmn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back