Does sealed tranny fluid need to be changed @ 50K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
If the dealer is using real Toyota WS fluid and not MOC/BG/Wynn's, that's a good deal. There is some truth to BG, but MOC and Wynn's are ripoffs, they cost the dealer little in comparison to what you're charged.

Those machine do a good job, but they are a tool to sell their additives. Just tell the dealer that you don't want ANY additive, only the WS fluid. They do a better job at exchange the fluid than you could do manually.

Last edited:
I would definitely do it, but I would take it somewhere were they could use Maxlife or another quality LV fluid. WS is well-known to fail more quickly than others (as commented on above). It has given poor life and shifting after a while in both our Lexus and a neighbor's 4Runner; switching to Maxlife improved things and got longer service intervals.

What do you guys think of this setup to change fluid?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-Sealed-Transmission-Fluid-Replacement-Kit/222731930378?epid=23010345970&hash=item33dbdb8b0a:g:AFkAAOSw8b1aGFbV:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by diyjake
It's not really sealed, what they mean by sealed is there isn't a dipstick. It is a smart move to change the transmission fluid.

+1

+2

There's no dipstick, but there is still a dipstick tube, as well as a drain plug
smile.gif

Autozone has Castrol Full Synthetic ATF on sale right now for $5/qt

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
...and 4 years on Sienna.

Toyota Stealership offered to change out my wife's Sienna's tranny oil (even though its sealed) I LOL'd out loud. I wonder if they were simply trying to beat her out of 120 bucks bc she's female.

For $120 I assume it's a drain & fill so only about 1/3 of the ATF gets exchanged.

Between 75k and 100k the ATF should have at least a drain & fill. Filter change also.

Unsure what kind of ATF the vehicle uses. Some OEM ATF is expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back