Rubber Lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about synthetic rubber-like elastomers or natural rubber? Natural rubber can be lubricated with tallow or powdered tallow. Avoid any mineral-based lubricant on natural rubber. Synthetic rubber may be treated with silicone oil/greasel but I would use it sparingly. I have repeatedly heard that too much silicone oil/grease can damage silicone elastomers over time. Soap makes good lubricant for window molding installation with a string. Soap washed of course off, so it's not a lasting lubricant.

Originally Posted by FowVay
companies such as Parker sell rubber lubricants specifically for O-rings. If you have rubber exposed to the atmosphere then plain old talcum powder is used by nearly every rubber manufacturer to prolong the life of their product while in storage.

Talcum powder is used for longterm storage of rubber parts because oxidized rubber gets sticky due to devulcanization over time and the talcum powder prevents the rubber parts from sticking, I often feel a greasy type powdered on new rubber parts and that's to the best of my knowledge powdered tallow, which serves likely doube-duty as a lubricant/conditioner and ant-stick agent.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Can't you just spit on it and slide it in?

Wow, that sounded completely wrong!

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back