Spektrum Internet Sux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misspelled some words in the title on purpose.

As it states, I have internet service by the afore-mentioned company, as well as cable TV. Aside for the crappy programming and poor reception on some cable channels (I have a 1080 pixel flat screen), their internet speed is horrible. Every month, my bill says I now have 100Mbps at no extra charge, but in reality, on a good day, I might get 26-28 Mbps, according to their speed test. Wednesday (1/9) I got a whopping 12 Mbps. I have a direct cable connection from my router to my laptop, and all of my equipment is capable of handling 100 Mbps and more. Here's something interesting - it says my internet feed is from Sugar Hill, GA - over 200 miles away from my home! Seriously?

Any ideas / suggestions on increasing speed, or will I just have to deal with it? Unfortunately, not a lot of competition in the area for internet service.

They may have not provisioned your modem for the new speed.

What modem are you using? If you don't have one of the new DOCSIS 3.1 modems, tell them to send you one because that is the latest now.

Originally Posted by BigD1
They may have not provisioned your modem for the new speed.

What modem are you using? If you don't have one of the new DOCSIS 3.1 modems, tell them to send you one because that is the latest now.

Yep. They sent me a brand new modem. They tweaked it over the phone and boom 200mpbs.

Got rid of Spectrum (then Charter) about twenty years ago-- cable only had dial up Internet. Went to turn back my equipment and was stuck in a long line of customers wedged into a tiny room. Woman ahead of me crapped her pants and announced to everyone "If you think I'm getting out of line, you're mistaken". Not a pleasant customer experience.

After seventeen years, I decided they were the only viable game in town. Was shocked when their tech showed up on time. Didn't try to push phone or cable on me. I wanted Internet and he gave me Internet. Speed averages 50 Mbps (yes I know they advertise 100+). Gotta say the experience is 180 degrees since my last experience. I would like competition and hopefully 5G will give that to me, but compared to Century Link, I'm a happy camper with Spectrum.

Compared to Frontier, Spectrum is great. Had our phone, internet, and cable through them, and in general, our service has been alright.

If you don't have a modem from them, ask for one or a replacement. (and no, there is no separate leasing charge for their modems - many years ago they got caught charging for lots of modems that they never actually had installed (I was one of them). They realized they had no idea who owned what out there...)

I get more than the listed speed with Spectrum, my speed tests come back as 120mbs and I'm paying for 100. So it's probably your modem...

My current modem is an Arris TM1602, supplied by Spectrum, and my router is a Cisco Linksys E1200, that is mine. Our local supplier was formerly Bright House Networks (formerly Time Warner), until they were bought up / merged into Spectrum. I have another account for my son in college, which was formerly Charter Communications, also now Spectrum. I have cable TV added to my package at my home location only, and both internet / cable cost approximately $152 per month. Just the internet only at the other location is approximately $66 per month.

That's an old 3.0 modem. They now have 3.1 modems. I called, and told them I wanted one of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems, and got it a few days later in the mail. Also had the option of having a technician deliver and setup. Super easy to get going with the included instructions.

They sent me a Technicolor. The other two are UBEE and Hitron. No user access to the modem settings on the Technicolor. From what I read, UBEE modem settings can be accessed.

I like Charter a lot more than AT&T.
As far as knowing your point of presence is 200 miles away, sorry to hear that, but IP traffic is carried on other protocols.
In the old days of having a cellular network card AT&T (in southern California) used to dump me out to the Internet in New York.
You can't do much about your Internet POP; but your ping response time will tell you how good or bad things really are.
My speedtest.net shows a ping response time of 17ms. Internet is good here (far, far better and more responsive than my workplace, which snoops everything).

Ah, another city dweller internet speed thread. Complaining about 26-28 or even 12Mbps. I don't want to hear it. I pay $50/mo to a couple doing business out of their home for internet (it's my only option) and I receive a whopping (claimed) 2Mbps. Or I could pay $75 for 4Mbps, or $100 for 6Mbps. In reality, since they're factually oversubscribed, it usually averages about 250Kbps. If I upgrade, I still receive roughly the same 250K. So I kept the cheapest plan. I keep them because they don't play any games regarding data caps. There aren't any. Of course, why would there be? I would be ecstatic if someone offered 12Mbps for even $100/mo without cable or any other service. Sign me up.

While I do agree with the 'I should receive what I pay for' mindset, I just can't understand why people get angry about 12+Mbps. Limit the kids' Netflix time, and tell little Johnny to quit doing so much 'homework' and even 12 can do anything you ask it to.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Ah, another city dweller internet speed thread. Complaining about 26-28 or even 12Mbps. I don't want to hear it. I pay $50/mo to a couple doing business out of their home for internet (it's my only option) and I receive a whopping (claimed) 2Mbps. Or I could pay $75 for 4Mbps, or $100 for 6Mbps. In reality, since they're factually oversubscribed, it usually averages about 250Kbps. If I upgrade, I still receive roughly the same 250K. So I kept the cheapest plan. I keep them because they don't play any games regarding data caps. There aren't any. Of course, why would there be? I would be ecstatic if someone offered 12Mbps for even $100/mo without cable or any other service. Sign me up.

While I do agree with the 'I should receive what I pay for' mindset, I just can't understand why people get angry about 12+Mbps. Limit the kids' Netflix time, and tell little Johnny to quit doing so much 'homework' and even 12 can do anything you ask it to.

That sounds pretty grim.

Scott

Have you tried a direct cable connection from the cable modem to the laptop? Take the router out of the equation.

Is wifi on the laptop turned off, are you sure the laptop isn't using wifi instead of the wired ethernet connection?

What makes you think the connection is coming from Georgia? That could just be the location of the speed test server you're connecting to.

I'm also using the Arris tm1602, that modem should have absolutely no issues with 100Mbps. I'm using the same modem, and have the same internet package with Spectrum.

I also have to wonder if a windows update is running in the background.

Originally Posted by sxg6
Have you tried a direct cable connection from the cable modem to the laptop? Take the router out of the equation.

Is wifi on the laptop turned off, are you sure the laptop isn't using wifi instead of the wired ethernet connection?

What makes you think the connection is coming from Georgia? That could just be the location of the speed test server you're connecting to.

Although a good idea, the Arris M1602 only has one ethernet connection on the back, which is connected to my router, which is capable of the adverised 100Mbps.

The laptop wifi is turned off, and the laptop is cable connected to the router.

Anytime I perform the speed test, it always says "Sugar Hill, GA" for the other connection. I thought speed tests were supposed to be between your computer/ home and local server. I haven't researched it enough to see if this can be specified. As previously metioned, I have cable quality issues on some channels, more than others. I have spoken to the local cable office regarding this, and I was told that they get some channel feeds via satellite, and some via internet.

Something could still be wrong with the router. I'd just temporarily disconnect the ethernet cable from the router, and plug it directly into the laptop to do a speed test. Spectrum would ask you to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back