2006 BMW X3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife came across this car, it has 120k on it !! She wants me to buy it ! Where do these cars stand as far as reliability goes ? I usually stick with Toyota or Honda, how well does this BMW stack up against these two. Need some feedback before i pull the trigger. Thanks

I did 60k in 3 years on my '06 X3, taking it to around 150k miles when I traded it.

I did a valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. I had full records for it and it got a new transfer case early in its life under warranty.

It is one of the best BMWs ever made, especially from a reliability standpoint.

IMG_20160729_135144.jpg

You're asking to be turned off euro cars completely if you buy a high mileage one coming from Japanese cars especially if they are older. I respect Roofless' opinion but this situation is just asking for trouble, and I would hate for you to have a bad experience and become a euro car hater for life.

Just plan on it being a more maintenance-heavy vehicle. Go into it with low expectations and you won't be disappointed.

That said, six cylinder BMWs are pretty good. Automatics transmissions are GM-sourced, which means the fluid is standard Dexron fare rather than expensive ZF fluid.

Generally, with BMWs of this vintage, cooling components will need to be replaced, as everything is plastic. Sunroof leaks are common across several models as well- usually the drains get clogged or overwhelmed.

For a DIY, the average BMW isn't that much more costly to own than a Japanese vehicle, and you're usually getting a vehicle that performs better and has better features. If you prefer to just perform general maintenance, stick to Asian makes. If you're comfortable with a little diagnosis and repair, feel free to pick up a Euro car.

Originally Posted by kenwin30
how well does this BMW stack up against these two.

A [censored] of a lot depends on how experienced you are with wrenching and how willing you are to do the repairs. There is a reason why these can be bought for only $4 or $5K. You could end up spending that much again on repairs and service the first year if you have to take it in to a shop.

It seems like doubling the maintenance budget between an asian vs european vehicle is a good rule of thumb. Things break more often and when they do the part and labor will cost more.

What's your budget like and how badly would an expensive repair hurt you?
OTOH, costly repairs can happen at random with any Toyota or Honda, so this little Beemer might not be any worse.
Does this little guy come with service history?
Who is the seller?
If a BMW dealer or the original owner or a guy who's had it titled for at least a couple of years I'd be more comfortable.
If a flip artist, find another X3.
They are pretty common and are pretty cheap used cars.

Originally Posted by benhen77
For a DIY, the average BMW isn't that much more costly to own than a Japanese vehicle, and you're usually getting a vehicle that performs better and has better features. If you prefer to just perform general maintenance, stick to Asian makes. If you're comfortable with a little diagnosis and repair, feel free to pick up a Euro car.
If you don't wrench you are going to get hosed on a euro car, it's only a matter of time. With BMW it seems to be a little worse because I would not want to risk those notorious cooling system components.

These cars hold up but they do have issues. We loved our X3 untl we outgrew it, Im actually learning how hard these guys are to sell!! Valve cover gasket and oil filter housing leaks, sometimes the PCVs fail and youll need the valve cover, usually about 1000 job. Ive done more transfer cases on these models only with the N52K than any other, we usually source a used unit with low miles. Im guessing the additional power opposed to the m54 is whats killing them. Water pumps are electronic, also a 1000 repair, but oddly I see them fail on these cars much much less than the 3 or 5s from the same year. Shocks and lower arms are also common replacement items.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you don't wrench you are going to get hosed on a euro car, it's only a matter of time. With BMW it seems to be a little worse because I would not want to risk those notorious cooling system components.

+1. I own an '06 BMW 330ci. If I did not do all my own repairs I'd get rid of it. BMWs are not the least bit reliable after they get some years on them. Mine always has something going wrong. If I had to take it to the dealer or a mechanic I'd be hosed. Having to buy parts all the time is bad enough.

My wife and I put 198k on a 2004 BMW X3. Only one real big ticket expense- a transfer case. I did R&R the cooling system at 130k along with the oil separator and oil filter housing gasket. My wife and I both loved it, but she found a Mini that she liked. I sold the X3 to a friend and he just hit 215k miles and so far has only had to R&R the front brakes.

BMW = Break My Wallet.

There is a reason used BMW's are cheap. They cost a lot to fix... and (in my experience) they need a lot of fixing.

Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
BMW = Break My Wallet.

There is a reason used BMW's are cheap. They cost a lot to fix... and (in my experience) they need a lot of fixing.

If only I had known!!!
crackmeup2.gif

We had a 2008 X3. My recomendation is if you are not an experienced DIY'er AND cant afford a 1 or 2k repair bill dont do it. We had xfer case fail 3k, pano roof fail another 3k (didnt do) various oil leaks and sensors. I paid an indy as I coildn't/wouldnt do some jobs.Oil leaks and sensors are cheap enough if you can do it. Xfer case is going to cost some money no matter who does it. With 120k miles I would want to see some maintanence. 10k-15kOCI if they used conventional oil would be troublesome.

Originally Posted by kenwin30
My wife came across this car, it has 120k on it !! She wants me to buy it ! Where do these cars stand as far as reliability goes ? I usually stick with Toyota or Honda, how well does this BMW stack up against these two. Need some feedback before i pull the trigger. Thanks

All Euro cars require preventive maintenance. That is also how Germans think, it is cultural thing.
On X3 transfer case seems weak point, as any BMW cooling system is an issue (I personally would change all hoses and radiator on such old car, Euro or Asian, does not matter. Pump is electric and pricy). Oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket. However, there is no six cyl that is that smooth and that develops power in that fashion.
See if records are available, how it drives, any jerking at parking lot speeds (indication of failed transfer case).
If all that checks out and you get car, here is thing:
1. Change TC fluid, use ONLY BMW TC fluid.
2. Change tranny fluid and filter. As mentioned it is GM sourced, you can use I guess Maxlife etc.
3. Differentials. Change fluid.
4. Get used on buying oils with specific approvals and not generic synthetic oil (they are though not any more expensive and readily available in Wal Mart).

They do require more attention, but no Asian SUV and majority cars will drive like that senior citizen
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
BMW = Break My Wallet.

If only I had known!!!
crackmeup2.gif

I know, right?
Nothing could possibly be more trouble free or cheap to use and drive as my old e36, yet the myths of high cost of ownership persist.
There are good BMW models as well as troublesome ones, just as with any other maker.
This is the reason that God created the internet.
You can easily find what's likely to be good versus what's likely to be less so. You can also learn exactly what breaks and what it takes to fix it.
You can then decide what you want to deal with versus pricing and performance.

Yes there's some confusion in this thread.

'06 was the last year for the M54 in the X3 and Z4. Mechanical water pump and much easier VCG and OFHG. Everyone in here fretting about the cooling system - the only "weak link" in the M54 X3 and Z4 is the expansion tank.

Most transfer case "failures" are a failure of the plastic actuator gear. You can install an aftermarket metal gear or simply rotate the stock gear 180° to non-stripped teeth.

On a new-to-me X3, I would replace:

Oil and filter
Transmission oil and filter
Transfer case oil
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Coolant reservoir

You can "overfill" the xfer case - it'll take almost a liter. Do it.

Ensure all the tires are new and rotate them to keep the tread depth even - this will help the xfer case.

Do the above, and you'll enjoy a solid car.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Yes there's some confusion in this thread.

'06 was the last year for the M54 in the X3 and Z4. Mechanical water pump and much easier VCG and OFHG. Everyone in here fretting about the cooling system - the only "weak link" in the M54 X3 and Z4 is the expansion tank.

Most transfer case "failures" are a failure of the plastic actuator gear. You can install an aftermarket metal gear or simply rotate the stock gear 180° to non-stripped teeth.

On a new-to-me X3, I would replace:

Oil and filter
Transmission oil and filter
Transfer case oil
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Coolant reservoir

You can "overfill" the xfer case - it'll take almost a liter. Do it.

Ensure all the tires are new and rotate them to keep the tread depth even - this will help the xfer case.

Do the above, and you'll enjoy a solid car.

All I'd add is to reset the TC adaptations after the fluid change.

Originally Posted by MCompact
All I'd add is to reset the TC adaptations after the fluid change.

Absolutely, that's a very important step that I forgot. I'd take it to a service center and ask them to reset all adaptations after I did the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back