PentaStar Hot Stumble - Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

Yes but because it's not storing any pending codes or hard codes and it's intermittent that is hard to reproduce on demand I decided to go after it myself.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

Yes but because it's not storing any pending codes or hard codes and it's intermittent that is hard to reproduce on demand I decided to go after it myself.

Yeah, that probably would have been a bear to get a FCA dealer to fix under warranty. Like you say, I've read time and time again where dealers will go the no code, nothing wrong route.

I'm at just under 28K miles with the Pentastar in my Ram 1500. All good so far. Have a brother who liked mine so much, he just bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 classic (old body style) with the pentastar.

Having driven it for a while now and burning another tank and a bit of gas the adaptives must have tuned it further because I can say I have never driven a V6 of any brand that is this smooth. The thing is smoother than my Highlander I had and that engine is ultra refined and smooth.

I honestly find myself watching the tach at the lights to see if it stalled. I think it's a combination of fixing the temperature sensor, going for the 0w30 over the 5w20 it calls for and having the plugs properly gapped which I did when I was trying to troubleshoot this minor hot-stumble annoyance. Oh and it's also running 91 Octane E-0 fuel which might also add a touch to the smoothness factor as it certainly changes the timing running it.

Last edited:
I find myself doing the same with our CX5. At a stop the smoothness of the engine plus the quietness of the cabin push me to glance at the tach. This on 0w20.

I find myself doing the same with our CX5. At a stop the smoothness of the engine plus the quietness of the cabin push me to glance at the tach. This on 0w20.

PimTac, yeah I hear you... Our friends just bought a beautiful silver CX-5 and they love it. It is quite nice from the 10 minutes I spent in it going around the block when they first got it. They use whatever the dealer puts in, I guess 20wt.

The only reason I decided to try the 30wt was because these engines originally spec'ed a 30wt and while there have been some minor revisions to the engine not much has changed and from what I feel so far it seems to prefer it.

Last edited:
Having driven it for a while now and burning another tank and a bit of gas the adaptives must have tuned it further because I can say I have never driven a V6 of any brand that is this smooth. The thing is smoother than my Highlander I had and that engine is ultra refined and smooth.

I honestly find myself watching the tach at the lights to see if it stalled. I think it's a combination of fixing the temperature sensor, going for the 0w30 over the 5w20 it calls for and having the plugs properly gapped which I did when I was trying to troubleshoot this minor hot-stumble annoyance. Oh and it's also running 91 Octane E-0 fuel which might also add a touch to the smoothness factor as it certainly changes the timing running it.

My 300 was in the body shop for awhile and they put me in a 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5 (I should get an equivalent vehicle, but I digress) I forgot how smooth it was and kept doing the same thing all week lol

I like the 300's. I rented a 1st generation and drove it to Kentucky for our friends wedding. (They now live in Ohio). It was like driving a couch. Our friends here bought one of the 3rd generation ones and while it was nice I found the suspension to be a little more sportier than the refined floaty suspension in the one we rented.

My wife's 2016 GC has a bit of a stumbly idle all the time. No one would notice it but me. It's just a deep, ever so slight jitter. I just figured it's one of those types engines. It runs great although city mileage really sucks at around 12-14. Lots of really short trips though.

It's a loud engine, exhaust-wise. Loudest stock vehicle I think I've ever ridden in.

Got any tricks on checking the trans fluid with no dipstick?
confused2.gif

Silver,

Yeah their mileage in town does suck... It hasn't gotten any better from 2012 when I drove our first one to now with the 2018. The 2018 is much more responsive though so that's good but does nothing for fuel economy.
grin2.gif

Mine isn't loud but I have the GT trim level so it has more noise deadening insulation than the almost base model my dad has which is a 2012 and his is noisier. My dad went to end of the roll and bought a piece of padded commercial type carpet that was great in colour and put it down over the factory black carpet and did a good job cutting it around the seats and tucking under the trim panels / floor boards here/there and that made a huge difference to the noise. He did this when he got it from me (formerly my fleet vehicle for work), so it wouldn't show the dog hair like the black carpet does. Maybe that's an option for you.

To me mine sounds like a buzzing motor with a shhhhhhh type sound coming from the exhaust as I moderately to heavily accelerate as the exhaust gas rushes out the back pipe. If I take off from a light normally I don't hear the exhaust at all and just hear the buzzing of the motor which really makes it sound electric more than mechanical. But this is all probably related to the insulation my trim level has.

It also has blue mood lighting on the ceiling on either side of the DVD screen console. It's different but it's kind neat. Mine is black and not white though...
[Linked Image]

I like the 300's. I rented a 1st generation and drove it to Kentucky for our friends wedding. (They now live in Ohio). It was like driving a couch. Our friends here bought one of the 3rd generation ones and while it was nice I found the suspension to be a little more sportier than the refined floaty suspension in the one we rented.

Mine is the S trim, has the "sport tuned" suspension but not the full "sport" suspension. It rides better than my Citadel ever did! I'd love to take the top of the line luxury model for a spin to compare it, I imagine that one is like driving on a cloud

I haven't driven in an "S" series only the 300 and 300c which if memory serves me correctly are the same suspension in those models. The SRT line of vehicles have some nice ride feel but sportier feedback suspension. I know my Caravan GT with the self-leveling non-air-bag suspension has a nice ride to it while offering a more sportier feel and boy does it corner. Without self incriminating here I can tell you it does quite well on the highway at higher speeds.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back