Anyone replace a cruze turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to do the job soon. I got a used 3 mile turbo for it and it has all the lines still. What else do i need, i know i need new header bolts and the exhaust manifold gasket. Am i missing anything?

Originally Posted by Imp4
Yes, with a Civic...

Why would he downgrade? It's not like the Civic is immune to engine issues....

The turbo is fine. Its the wastegate thats the problem. Too bad the wastegate is built onto the turbo. Im tuned and the wg had to much play. Its causing me to overboost. But if i put it back to stock im sure it will make in alot longer. It has 97k on the stock turbo.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by Imp4
Yes, with a Civic...

Why would he downgrade? It's not like the Civic is immune to engine issues....
lol.gif

Please...
To each his own....
I'll take my wallet elsewhere....
"Real people" ads notwithstanding....

Last edited:
Civic 1.5L engines are the same as the CR-V and are having issues. Honda is vastly overrated.

Preach. The only decent ones were ~'98-'09 and even then it is highly up for debate. Examples of bad are the Odyssey and Pilot trannies, examples of good are the Accord 2.4L powertrain. My family has a major, major problem believing the criticism. They'll turn away Fords, Chevys, Hyundais, etc. with 103K miles, but will entertain (and have bought) Hondas and Toyota with over 300K miles. Makes no sense. Sure, on certain models/engines/transmissions I'd turn away too. But to to run from a 3800 with 100K in favor of a 2.4L Rav4 with 330K? For the same price?
shocked2.gif
Another example, my sister owned a 98 Accord, then tried a pristine Grand Marquis on the cheap (and hated it, sold it within months) and has owned two '07 Accords since. Those are the only 4 cars she's owned. My mom has the same Honda brain injury. She thinks they'll run forever because they're "imports." For the sake of argument (without getting technical) I always ask about Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Fiat, Jaguar, BMW, Volvo, Subaru, and VW. Those aren't imports. Imports are Honda, Toyota, and Nissan only, and only those commonly make it to 300K.
33.gif

People seriously need to wake up.

Civic 1.5L engines are the same as the CR-V and are having issues. Honda is vastly overrated.

I'll take a 'vastly overrated' Civic over a Cruze turbo 8 days a week.
Then again, maybe I'll wait for the 2020s....... Oh wait...

Originally Posted by tony1679
She thinks they'll run forever because they're "imports." For the sake of argument (without getting technical) I always ask about Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Fiat, Jaguar, BMW, Volvo, Subaru, and VW. Those aren't imports. Imports are Honda, Toyota, and Nissan only, and only those commonly make it to 300K.
33.gif

People seriously need to wake up.

This is a terrible straw man argument.
Like, you didn't even try.

She thinks they'll run forever because, in general, Honda's and Toyotas are much more likely to get to 300k than the OPs Cruze turbo or just about any other Big 2-1/2 compact car, or a VW Golf, or for gosh sakes a Fiat anything....

The fact that you or your mother identifies them as 'imports' is both true and irrelevant. But it does allow you to make the false argument that because BMWs, Jags and Volvo's are not that great over the long haul then, by extension, Toyotas and Hondas must be not that great also. But it's a false argument, you know, a straw man.

But good try!!!
10.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Hope the OP gets the help he asked for …

I do as well.

Here's how to get the turbo off without removing the header.
Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I'd love to know if the replacement turbo fixes the overboost issue. Typically if the wastegate opening is large enough and opening fully, overboost is not possible.

You did mention it's worn, so I suppose that's possibly preventing full opening. But I suspect the actuator is not allowing full opening due to adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back