Possibly the ultimate Harley oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harleys don't need a ton of ZDDP. They have roller bearings everywhere. And roller lifters. And stock Harley engines are far from "high performance". I ran Redline 20w60 for many years in both my Big Twin Harleys. Had 80,000 miles on the Black one when it was totaled.

two bikes.jpg

Not a bad looking oil except take a look at the CCS Viscosity at -15C its 9500cp. i bet that oil has a crappy pour point thats why they dont post it.

Compare it to Schaeffer 20w-50 V-twin which the same test at the same temp resulted in 3500cp. Also has a stable pour point of -41F.

Here is the data sheet for Schaeffer V-twin 20w50 https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/229-707-td.pdf

Last edited:
Mystik 15W-50 is what i get locally (and VERY inexpensively) and the it has been giving OUTSTANDING used oil analyses on here

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Not a bad looking oil except take a look at the CCS Viscosity at -15C its 9500cp. i bet that oil has a crappy pour point thats why they dont post it.

Compare it to Schaeffer 20w-50 V-twin which the same test at the same temp resulted in 3500cp. Also has a stable pour point of -41F.
And tell me again why you care about low temperature performance in this application????

I think what you have stated here may be both true and irrelevant.

Would not anything with more than 1200 ppm ZDDP cause impurities /sludge in the engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Maybe because some people do actually ride in cooler weather? Especially in Michigan.

Call me back when you're riding at below 0°C.
Otherwise...

My coldest was 3 C a couple years ago...bike was fine. (Oil was 10W-40.) I suspect my current bike (with conventional 20W-50) might not be.

That's a high performance Marine oil. It's made more like an SAE 50 for shear resistance. They don't care about cold weather operation, because a high performance boat is not going to be subjected to that.

Pour point depressants are usually left on the shelf.

Hard to comment on the OP as there is no mention of what year and model his Harley is.
Being there are so many, for me, I try to stick to the recommended type of oil.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Hard to comment on the OP as there is no mention of what year and model his Harley is.
Being there are so many, for me, I try to stick to the recommended type of oil.

2002 Dyna Wide Glide 88cu - Carbureted, Cams, upgraded oil pump etc. Have always Run 20w-50, lately Lucas Synthetic 20-50W for motorcycles.

Not sure about the high ZDDP levels causing any sludge

I do ride when it's pretty cool, but if its near freezing I usually leave a warm garage and hope to return to it within the day 90% + of my riding is 50 degrees and up.

I think I am going to try it in the engine and primary, if my local auto parts can get some from the distributor.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50 is only $11.99 at Advance Auto near me.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...2630/8026542-P?searchTerm=Mobil+1+V-twin

It has 1600 ppm phosphorus and 1750 ppm zinc
Mobil1 1 Product Guide

Have you considered the Shell Advance Ultra 4T 15W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil?

Full syn and $12.99 a quart at Advance Auto.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/shell-advance-ultra-4t-15w-50-synthetic-motorcycle-engine-oil-1-liter-550037980/11438356-P?navigationPath=L1*14926%7CL2*15035

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Mystik 15W-50 is what i get locally (and VERY inexpensively) and the it has been giving OUTSTANDING used oil analyses on here

[Linked Image]

^^ What he says^^

Which recommendation are you guys referring to?. The one that says to use diesel oil if Harley oil isn't available, or the one that says to change it out as soon as possible and use Harley's oil?. It says both in the manual.,,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Which recommendation are you guys referring to?. The one that says to use diesel oil if Harley oil isn't available, or the one that says to change it out as soon as possible and use Harley's oil?. It says both in the manual.,,,

BC, glad you brought this up. The only oil other than Harley branded oil recommended by Harley is a HDEO and then only for top offs. My Harley manuals state to change the oil back to genuine Harley oil ASAP after topping off with the HDEO oil. Nowhere that I can find does Harley recommend any oil, and in Harley's recommended viscosities, other than Harley's branded oil except for top offs. An HDEO will most likely be OK but personally, I wouldn't use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304

BC, glad you brought this up. The only oil other than Harley branded oil recommended by Harley is a HDEO and then only for top offs. My Harley manuals state to change the oil back to genuine Harley oil ASAP after topping off with the HDEO oil. Nowhere that I can find does Harley recommend any oil, and in Harley's recommended viscosities, other than Harley's branded oil except for top offs. An HDEO will most likely be OK but personally, I wouldn't use it.
Ha ha, This is why they sell so much Harley oil. I personally have never run the stuff.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

Ha ha, This is why they sell so much Harley oil. I personally have never run the stuff.
. The only Harley oil I use is the Formula+ in the primary. Some people imply that Harley recommends using HDEO when Harley's oil isn't available which isn't correct. Harley recommends HDEO oil " only for top offs ", and then to change the oil when Harley oil is available. Yes, Harley wants their customers to buy their oil.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

. The only Harley oil I use is the Formula+ in the primary. Some people imply that Harley recommends using HDEO when Harley's oil isn't available which isn't correct. Harley recommends HDEO oil " only for top offs ", and then to change the oil when Harley oil is available. Yes, Harley wants their customers to buy their oil.

Directly from the owner's manual: "If HD 360 is not available, add oil certified for diesel engines, Acceptable designations include CH-4, CI-4, and CJ-4. Preferred viscosities, in descending order are: 20W50, 15W40, and 10W40.

The highest mileage Harley I saw got nothing but 15W40 diesel oil since 10,000 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back