Ordered a Ancell BST200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I really like Foxwell BT705, as it can do some more comprehensive tests, including testing your alternator, alas it's quite a bit more expensive.
Conductance testers cannot test alternators beyond just testing the output voltage, which even the most basic $5 multimeters can do.

Originally Posted by George7941
Conductance testers cannot test alternators beyond just testing the output voltage, which even the most basic $5 multimeters can do.
True, indeed.

Jim, I ordered the BA101.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
I was getting ready to replace my battery before I ordered the Ancel 200 but I think I will hold off now . I will keep checking it on a regular basis .

Keep a jump box in the trunk. It will be more useful than a $50 battery tester.

True, indeed.

Pete , Let us know what you think about it once you get a chance to use it.

Some battery test results with the BA101.

This is from my Charger. Strange that it thinks charge level is only 77% when I just finished charging this battery about an hour before.

[Linked Image]

And this is from 530i. This is an older battery and for some reason the car struggles to charge it properly, but 0%? Yet it still delivers 678 CCA and the car starts just fine? Yeah, I don't think I trust this tester.

[Linked Image]

Some more testing from my 530i this morning after dropping the kid off at school...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Right now I put this battery on a charger. The charger shows it's at around 50% charged, yet it only pushes about 1.5A of current into it. This battery has had me perplexed for quite some time now. I can't figure out what is going on with it.

My tester recommends to be used in the morning before the car has been running.

True, indeed.

Not true. The conductance test is one circuit and alternator test another circuit. And starter test yet circuit. All independent and can do whatever it's designed to do.

The Ancel BA 101 is a conductance tester for the battery and other selections allow one to test the alternator including ripple.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
My tester recommends to be used in the morning before the car has been running.

To eliminate the surface charge.

An alternative is to turn on headlights for 10 to 15 seconds.

Originally Posted by Donald
and other selections allow one to test the alternator including ripple.

Isn't ripple basically the same as measuring AC voltage with your DMM? My DMM gave pretty much the same value as the Ancel.

Isn't ripple basically the same as measuring AC voltage with your DMM? My DMM gave pretty much the same value as the Ancel.

Ripple is the variations in the waveform from one or more diodes being bad. You need a meter that can measure ripple or an oscilloscope. A DMM or DVM will not measure ripple.

Last edited:

Ripple is the variations in the waveform from one or more diodes being bad.
Yes, and that variation is essentially shown as presence of AC voltage in a DC voltage system.

DMM or DVM will not measure ripple.
A lot of sources out there dont agree with you.

https://sciencing.com/read-ripple-voltage-meter-10017535.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp...xAB&usg=AOvVaw2iEDmfpr8ksfZBuzwgaxsm

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Alternator-Problems-and-Automotive-Charging-System-Tests

In order to do a proper job of measuring ripple you need to also measure frequency as suggested in your first reference. Most plain DMM or DVM do not measure frequency. Although some do. All the alternator shops I have been to use an oscilloscope. That could be old school. But the people running the alternator shops tend to be old school.

In order to do a proper job of measuring ripple you need to also measure frequency as suggested in your first reference. Most plain DMM or DVM do not measure frequency. Although some do.

Ancel BA101 doesn't report frequency either, as you saw in the pictures I posted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back