GL4 Rated Gear Lube For Getrag 260

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Redline MTL in my 1987 bmw 535is, changed it out twice in the last 5 years of ownership. Current fill is getting bad, synchros are kicking back, wont go into first sometimes. Last time I had it changed my indie said it looked like glitter. I've got some Amsoil MTG coming soon, but I wanted to find an affordable gl4 trans lube to run on for maybe a month and then dump it to flush out as much metal as possible before putting in the Amsoil. I know this might be excessive to some, but this old bimmer is my only ride and sees the road a lot. For the life of me I cannot find anything that isn't a boutique MTL and costs $18+ a bottle.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Penny oil Synchromesh is GL-4, it's worked OK in everything I put it in. AAP usually lets you use codes to buy it, too.

What spec sheet says this? I've read the bottle up and down at the store, it says GL3 and GM/Chrysler approvals which redline lists as well. I looked at the spec sheet for the penz vs redline MTL and the penz is significantly thinner than MTL. Maybe I shouldnt worry about it THAT much right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back