tightening torque for wheel lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I bought a torque wrench. What a cool tool!
laugh.gif

Anyway, my tightening torrque for wheel lugs is 88-107 Nm by the book. But previosly by hand I tightened them to over 200 Nm. So this 100 Nm feels unsafe and weak. I can turn about 1/4 turn after 120Nm! I am afraid it is too low torque. What do you think?

Torque them to 87-100 Nm. Just because you could hand-tighten them to 200+ doesn't make a difference.

What kind of torque wrench? A clicker?

Could be off calibration. FInd someone with a beam type and torque the lugs down and then try with your new torque wrench. The beam type seldom go out of calibration.

I have never used a torque wrench on lug nuts , and I am nor a senioe citizen . None have fallen off yet .

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I use one for torquing lug nuts. I go by what the mfg. of the vehicle specs.

Absolutely! The torque is there so that over tightening doesn't occur which could warp the brake rotors.

I have a Precision Instruments split beam torque wrench that's always on 80 ft-lbf for Toyota lug nuts. I change the setting when I need it for something else but in your case, torque to factory specs and see if yours is calibrated.

I bought 3 wrenches (clicker), one for me, and other two for my friends. Brand new. They are all the same. I just feel 100nm is too weak, I am afraid it wild loosen it by itself while driving. Thats all. I will tighten them to 110Nm, and monitor every few days if it loosened...

Nm is Newton meter. Thats the unit we use in Europe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican

Absolutely! The torque is there so that over tightening doesn't occur which could warp the brake rotors.

I agree, and that's why I use a Torque Wrench on Lug Nuts.

Newton Meter converted to Ft. Lbs.
88 NM = 65 Ft Lbs
107 NM = 79 Ft Lbs
--------------------------
200 NM = 147 Ft Lbs

Diameter of Stud would also factor into proper torque.

Tire change places want you to come back after a few days so they can RECHECK the torque.
They know lug nuts may loosen.

Originally Posted by BobGoblin
Hi. I bought a torque wrench. What a cool tool!
laugh.gif

Anyway, my tightening torrque for wheel lugs is 88-107 Nm by the book. But previosly by hand I tightened them to over 200 Nm. So this 100 Nm feels unsafe and weak. I can turn about 1/4 turn after 120Nm! I am afraid it is too low torque. What do you think?

200 Nm is 147 ft lbs. The torque for my 3/4 ton Chev Suburban with 8 lug nuts on 17 inch wheels is 140 ft lbs. You were applying 147 ft lbs to a Kia?
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
200 Nm = 147 ft Nm

I see a chart of various torque values for other Kias and they range from 80-100 ft/lbs (108-135 Nm). Again, use the spec'd value. Just because you used to use higher torque doesn't mean it's right.

Grab a Harbor Freight 1/2" Torque Wrench, and set it to the midpoint of that range - it will be accurate enough.

I am in the camp that believes the numerous online tests showing HF torque wrenches being within 1-2% of actual torque specs..

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have never used a torque wrench on lug nuts , and I am nor a senioe citizen . None have fallen off yet .

I used to think like that. But then I bought a $30 HF clicker and "warping" and "balancing" issues vanished. My non calibrated "ugga duggas" were causing runout.

I bought my first torque wrench after 20 years of wrenching. I was surprised how little torque was needed for wheel bolts compared with previously doing it by feel.

My clicker torque wrench was bought from JC Whitney. I calibrated it at work and found it torques 10% light in the range I use it the most.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I bought my first torque wrench after 20 years of wrenching. I was surprised how little torque was needed for wheel bolts compared with previously doing it by feel.

My clicker torque wrench was bought from JC Whitney. I calibrated it at work and found it torques 10% light in the range I use it the most.

That's the usual experience. Just because you *can* over-tighten the fastener, and have been doing that for years, does not mean that you *should*.

10% accuracy for the tool is good enough -- that's well within the error range for conditions and technique. If you have a calibration tester available, observe the changes with different grip positions, applying a bit of twist, using a medium socket vs a shallow socket, and a sloppy vs snug socket fit.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

^^^ I usually hit them with the pneumatic or impact driver until they stop and then move on to the other ones. Then I go back and hit them with a short burst of the gun again checking each one. Never torqued and never had any issues including bearing/hub issues or stud issues. My dad has done that for decades as well.

Torquing and torque procedures / order has it's place like with head bolts for example but I think there are a lot of places that it's not needed.

Why do they have a Torque Spec then? Well because they need to convey to someone else approximately the force used in some manner but aren't needed above common sense when it comes to things like lug nuts or oil drain plugs for example. Not torquing these things and using reasonable force that is "plenty" but not "over tight" is more than enough.

Last edited:
The spec doesn't matter so much as the application. Lugs are tightened in a 3 stage star pattern with the wrench you keep in the trunk, not your tool box at home.
grin2.gif

I checked the lugs on the Camry after the winter wheels were put on. Every single one was able to be loosened with the 3/4 jack handle that fits the winter nuts. That the lugs were different than stock was a surprise. Usually, I make discoveries like this miles from home.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by Pelican

I agree, and that's why I use a Torque Wrench on Lug Nuts.

Newton Meter converted to Ft. Lbs.
88 NM = 65 Ft Lbs
107 NM = 79 Ft Lbs
--------------------------
200 NM = 147 Ft Lbs

Diameter of Stud would also factor into proper torque.

Tire change places want you to come back after a few days so they can RECHECK the torque.
They know lug nuts may loosen.

thumbsup2.gif
I figure it is easy enough to do. I've cursed repair and tire shops that slam them home with an impact gun. On more than one occasion I had to slip a pipe on a breaker bar to get them loose. Using a torque wrench adds very little time. Then I know the wheels are torqued properly and I won't have to fight and curse removing them next time. OTOH I'm not going to stand on a soapbox preaching the merits or debate not using a torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back