Help an Old Man Cut Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cable co. is messing with me and I want to switch. I don't quite get how Roku and Sling etc. work. Would you fine gentlemen explain to me what does what and make some recommendations. I live where over the air is not available thus why my cable decided to stop broadcasting Fox and CBS and start jacking rates. I don't need to see live TV except maybe during football, but we do like some programs especially on the two missing networks.

Thank you guys
Smoky

So Sling, DirecTV now, and YouTube TV all work in a simliar fashion to Netflix where you only need an internet connection and you stream the content from the internet. Those three all offer Live TV streaming where the end results are your network (NBC, TBS, TNT, History, Discovery, etc.) television almost indistinguishable from subscribed cable television.

You would buy a device whether it be a Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire Stick; install whatever service you've subscribed to's app (Sling, DTV Now, YT TV), open the app/sign in with your account and you'll have a guide similar to a set top box.

For the most part, they work pretty well, however there are times where it can be a touch glitchy... if you have AT&T Cellular service, at times you can get a very good discount on DirecTV Now. Also, most (if not all) of these services will allow you to also use their app on a smartphone and watch your same channel lineup wherever you have cell signal.

Last edited:
Check out the Hulu TV web site to see if their channel lineup suits you. They do include some but not all local neywork affiliate stations. It's no contract and about $40 a month. AFAIK you either need a smart TV or a TV with HDMI inputs to use something like an Amazon Firestick for reception through your internet wireless stream. Internet is required.

I would have switched by now but my wife apparently can't do without PBS and QVC.

I will add-GOOD internet is required, you'll need at least a decent DSL provider, fiber would be better, to be able to stream without interruption, esp. in 1080p or 4K. That's where my problem is, good broadband alone isn't that much cheaper than a bundle, then have to add Hulu, or Sling, etc.

Local live stream channels are a problem too with the streaming services. It all depends on your zip code.

For example, I just checked my zip code for local live streams at Sling and DIRECTV Now. Sling only has live stream of Fox. DIRECTV Now has live stream for all major networks.

I used VUE for a few months about 1.5 years ago before they jacked up the prices. I think I got two live streams from the major networks. But I did get on demand TV shows from the other major networks. Can't remember if it was all the major networks or not.

Check your zip code.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/pack...ms_local_channels&_requestid=4935914

https://help.sling.com/en/support/s...3-can-i-get-local-channels-on-sling-tv-#

Originally Posted by Smoky14
My cable co. is messing with me and I want to switch. I don't quite get how Roku and Sling etc. work. Would you fine gentlemen explain to me what does what and make some recommendations. I live where over the air is not available thus why my cable decided to stop broadcasting Fox and CBS and start jacking rates. I don't need to see live TV except maybe during football, but we do like some programs especially on the two missing networks.

Is that the only cable/dish company available in your remote area? No other options?

Cut Dish 2.5 years ago after they behaved egregiously. Haven't missed them at all. Even the cheapest Roku or Amazon hardware works flawlessly if you have decent Internet. Netflix and Amazon throw out so much content you'll drown in it, and much of it is excellent. I'm a news junkie, CNN, Fox and CNBC are still tied a bit to traditional suppliers (although I'm sure services like Sling can cover that), but there are more than enough substitutes, Bloomberg instead of CNBC, for example. Roku has so much content-- main stream and niche that you'll never see it all-- want newscasts from places you lived in fifty years ago-- no problem!

If you miss old timey cable content, Pluto has hundreds of second rate, mimicy channels--looks just like a cable operation, including RT which is largely Russian propaganda but which I occasionally watch because it's a trip down memory lane with washed-up crap-disturbers from Jesse Ventura (and his son) to Larry King--think they even had the blow-hard Ed Schultz before his demise.

When I visit Costco, I'm occasionally confronted by those DTV sharks which prowl around selling their wares. I'm usually so boisterous about the advantages of cutting the cord that most of 'em know to just nod at me and not engage me in their sales pitch.

Just checked Sling and only ONE channel is available, fox sports sw. Kinda took them out of the running.
Ah small town monopolies with no oversight.
Smoky

Get a Roku and then tryout free trials of Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Amazon.

Hulu has live TV but you need a current model Roku, some of the older models work with Hulu but not live TV from Hulu.

Unsure about Sling.

Originally Posted by Smoky14
My cable co. is messing with me and I want to switch. I don't quite get how Roku and Sling etc. work.

You need a good internet connection. Then think of a Roku or a smart TV as a slow, outdated cell phone where you download apps like Netflix, and your TV is the screen. You pair them with WiFi to stream...

Would you fine gentlemen explain to me what does what and make some recommendations. I live where over the air is not available thus why my cable decided to stop broadcasting Fox and CBS and start jacking rates. ..

To be fair, your cable company didn't decide this, the broadcast company Tribune media did. The pulled their stations while still in negotiations with two major cable providers. They're the ones that want to charge more money for a station you can get in HD over the air in most major markets....

And sometimes if you threaten to cut the cord, but are nice and articulate about it, they may send you to their retention or existing sales people where you can get discounts. I only mention this because some people are better off not cutting the cord if they're not tech savvy or are not ready to make that jump, and more than likely you might not be saving much at the end with subscriptions when coupled with your internet service that will need higher speeds for optimum service. The OP could also install a good, old fashioned antenna to get some excellent quality over the air and combine that with streaming to get what you want...

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I will add-GOOD internet is required, you'll need at least a decent DSL provider, fiber would be better, to be able to stream without interruption, esp. in 1080p or 4K. That's where my problem is, good broadband alone isn't that much cheaper than a bundle, then have to add Hulu, or Sling, etc.

This.

If you start having family members hit four or five HD online streams, a 175 service may not keep up.

All we have now is gigabit Internet service. We can pick the TV and VOIP provider of our choice, and are now on a month to month relationship with them. If they decide to jack the price too high, on to the next one.

Once you start running everything through your router, make sure to enable QOS to keep priority on things like phone calls, etc.

And OTA is still free and offers the best picture. A good antenna and you are good to go.

Strange thing is, once we cut the cable, I do not miss it. I really don't watch TV much anymore other than a little (very little) news. Most of network television is like watching an un-flushed toilet to me.

How far are you away from the TV broadcast towers? With the right antenna and preamp if needed, you can reliably receive signals at 60 miles. I know there are exceptions like a mountain between the broadcast signal and the receiver.

We cut our cable first of December and don't miss it at all, $100 savings. We have the AppleTV 32Gb 4k with Hulu and Netflix. Hulu has alot of network programs on it (cbs, abc etc). We got the .99 Hulu special with commercials and the 13.99 Netflix. Fairly easy to use and I imagine they'd help if you need it. We live in KC so no problems with reception, almost 50 channels.

It's also worth understanding monthly data caps of your internet service, if any. With a family where multiple HD or 4K streams run concurrently, hitting your cap might be a concern.

BTW, I officially cut the cord today. We already have Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, plus a few local channels from the antenna and a ton of free content on Roku. I think we're set.

Philo and Youtube tv together for 40+16 =56$ will give you everything you need. AND if you can get someone to go half on it with you , two people can stream for 28 bucks a month each. Get a roku and play with it . Figure on about 1gb an hour data usage . If you have a 500gb data cap you should be ok. Charter has no data caps but youre looking at 60 for internet and 56 for a solid package so what are you really saving?

Last edited:
To the OP, it looks like the channel dispute was resolved, you might want to check to see if those channels are back, I just saw they resolved it...

Originally Posted by saginawmale50
Philo and Youtube tv together for 40+16 =56$ will give you everything you need. AND if you can get someone to go half on it with you , two people can stream for 28 bucks a month each. Get a roku and play with it . Figure on about 1gb an hour data usage . If you have a 500gb data cap you should be ok. Charter has no data caps but youre looking at 60 for internet and 56 for a solid package so what are you really saving?

I have hulu live tv and philo for $56 (have firetv 4k so cant use youtubetv.) Philo works great and is worth the $16 for 40 channels. During spring and summer I cancel the hulu live tv as I don't watch much tv or sports during that time.

I already pay for internet for other purposes, so compared to directv, dish or cable, 56 for TV is not a bad price at all. Plus no contract and you don't have to worry about that dumb contracts.

Last edited:
If you need to upgrade your router:

After paying $150+ for an AC1900 Nighthawk (a few years ago), I came to the conclusion that more router power than Internet vendor speed is a waste of money. IMO an AC1200 router is more than enough. You get both bands and I've bought two different routers for others with no problem and a dozen or so devices running. Was able to pick up a discounted Tenda from Amazon for under $30 for my girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back