Nasty cabin filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a prius a few days ago and I've been going through my normal fluid and filter checks. Overall this car has been telling me its been unloved for quite a while. Glad i swapped out this filter. $14 and 2 minutes seems well worth it. (Hopefully I attached this picture correctly)

Cabin filter.jpg

The replacement filter seems so much smaller, no? But like everyone else has mentioned, that old filter was nasty.

Seems like my 6-month filter looks like this due to parking under a tree in a rural area.

Great to have a new filter in there though!

The filter is held in a plastic frame. I hadn't transferred in the new filter yet since dirt was going to fall out of it.

Originally Posted by JoelB
I bought a prius a few days ago and I've been going through my normal fluid and filter checks. Overall this car has been telling me its been unloved for quite a while. Glad i swapped out this filter. $14 and 2 minutes seems well worth it. (Hopefully I attached this picture correctly)

That looks like it could be original. ...

Wow - doubt that was ever touched since it was put on in the factory. Did you get any funky smells from the HVAC before you changed this? I could imagine it did not smell too luxurious.

No funky smells. But the dealer "detailed" the car right before i bought it. Basically hosed the whole interior with smelly product. Possibly to cover up a funk from the cabin filter.

A few years ago we went on a cruise so my Mazda3 was parked in the driveway for a couple of weeks. The first time I started it up the AC didn't work. Here's what came out of the blower:

[Linked Image]

This used to be the soundproofing under the hood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
The replacement filter seems so much smaller, no? But like everyone else has mentioned, that old filter was nasty.

No Brother it's just because the old filter has years of built up crud on it and it's about to give birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back