11 Dodge Durango 5.7 5k Oil 131k Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went longer on the Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 HM. I think it looks good. WIX filter was used for this change. FRAM Ultra went on next for the 7.5k run. The first analysis scared me. I'm happy with the way its gone since I switched to Pennzoil Platinum HM 0W-20.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 243
Originally Posted by Zee09
Over the life of this vehicle have you had many mechanical issues?

Probably more than average though some was my own doing. Altinater, 3rd water pump (my fault), battery, exhausted leak (broken bolt), The transfer case switch got stuck in Neutral because my wife kept putting her purse on the electronic button amd the spring broke. They redesigned the switch to the point I had to replace the Center Console Bezel to install the new larger switch. And the PCV valve went out around 100k miles but that was only like a 5min fix, and the oil filler cap failed (oil was. Coming up through the cap seal). This is the first High Mileage vehicle I have ever owned so i am not sure if that's above average for my miles or not. We like it and it's never left us sit anywhere. It took a while to get oil consumption under control.

Your engine seems happy. But tbn already 2.5 and Blackstone is predicting 10k runs? Near 6000 SUV with MDS lifters, they shouldn't be looking for extended intervals.

What oil was your other sample?

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Your engine seems happy. But tbn already 2.5 and Blackstone is predicting 10k runs? Near 6000 SUV with MDS lifters, they shouldn't be looking for extended intervals.

What oil was your other sample?

The first sample is Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-20, the rest are Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0W-20. This engine definitely like the Pennzoil better.

In regards to your 3 water pumps... that's about average for your mileage. The issue was so bad FCA extended the warranty on 2013-2017 models to 7 years/unlimited mileage.

Mine failed at 57k, 3 days after I brought it home from the dealer. 2nd one made it till at least 105k when I traded it in. But mine also has the broken exhaust manifold studs.

There is a lot of variation in the wear Fe. The other metals are low enough to not concern ourselves with and very steady; ignore them.
Regarding the Fe, the first sample was at 8ppm/1k miles; that's a bit high to be honest.
Second sample at 4ppm/1k miles.
Third sample at 3ppm/1k miles.

Is the first sample an anomaly? Don't know this particular engine well enough. More samples need to be taken. These engines (not all of them, but many of them) use that multi-displacement fuel saving concept. I am not intimately familiar with how the system works, but I presume it shuts down cylinders and somehow alters cam/valve actions. I know we've lost many cams to this design at the SO where I work. It's a known phenomenon. The reason I bring this up is because your driving patterns and behaviors will affect the wear in Fe. More steady state driving will actually make the fuel management system shut down cylinders more often. This is not unique to the 5.7L Hemis; I see clear evidence of escalated Fe in many of the Vortec GM engines that use a similar valve deactivation system. However, the Vortect engines don't seem to eat cams like the Hemis do. Some engine designs with reasonably simple architecture have very low wear rates. Both of my 4.6L 2v engines in our Grand Marquis have wear rate of Fe 1ppm/1k miles or so. But they have very simple designs that don't use any fancy tech, and therefor have reasonably steady lube system performance.

My point is that the 8ppm/1k miles is high; the others a bit more "normal" for that Hemi design. Suggesting 10k mile OCIs is not out of the question, but I'd ease up there and not jump right to it. Work you way up methodically using UOAs as your guide.

Also, the water pumps are a consumable replaced on these Hemi engines at a rate far faster than many other brands/types, IMO. But that's a side topic not related to lube AFAIK.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
There is a lot of variation in the wear Fe. The other metals are low enough to not concern ourselves with and very steady; ignore them.
Regarding the Fe, the first sample was at 8ppm/1k miles; that's a bit high to be honest.

Is the first sample an anomaly? Don't know this particular engine well enough. More samples need to be taken. These engines (not all of them, but many of them) use that multi-displacement fuel saving concept. I am not intimately familiar with how the system works, but I presume it shuts down cylinders and somehow alters cam/valve actions. I know we've lost many cams to this design at the SO where I work. It's a known phenomenon. The reason I bring this up is because your driving patterns and behaviors will affect the wear in Fe. More steady state driving will actually make the fuel management system shut down cylinders more often. This is not unique to the 5.7L Hemis; I see clear evidence of escalated Fe in many of the Vortec GM engines that use a similar valve deactivation system. However, the Vortect engines don't seem to eat cams like the Hemis do. Some engine designs with reasonably simple architecture have very low wear rates. Both of my 4.6L 2v engines in our Grand Marquis have wear rate of Fe 1ppm/1k miles or so. But they have very simple designs that don't use any fancy tech, and therefor have reasonably steady lube system performance.

My point is that the 8ppm/1k miles is high; the others a bit more "normal" for that Hemi design. Suggesting 10k mile OCIs is not out of the question, but I'd ease up there and not jump right to it. Work you way up methodically using UOAs as your guide.

Also, the water pumps are a consumable replaced on these Hemi engines at a rate far faster than many other brands/types, IMO. But that's a side topic not related to lube AFAIK.

The first sample was a different brand of oil. Thoes amounts concerned me too but the Pennzoil has been much better.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss

The first sample was a different brand of oil. Thoes amounts concerned me too but the Pennzoil has been much better.

You could try 5W30 a slightly thicker lube will likely cause your iron numbers to drop and will not affect MDS.

Originally Posted by dave1251

You could try 5W30 a slightly thicker lube will likely cause your iron numbers to drop and will not affect MDS.

I thought 5W30 made the check engine light go off in 5.7L Hemis with MDS?

Generally, no. User Clevy on here had a Charger that he ran 0w-40 in and was able to get the viscosity code when it was -35C, but that was the only time.

Hey, FYI, I had a Vendor on the ChargerForums, who makes and sells a custom oil for these MDS Hemi's correct me on the Charger forum. (I just bought a 2010 Charger Pursuit with the 5.7)

For anyone thinking that the system is the same between the different displacement Hemi engines, this is what I was told regarding running the Pennzoil SRT 0w40 in the 5.7

"No, you need a 5w20 for bleed down in .04 seconds and also the VVT."

"The orifices on the 5.7L MDS are different than the 6.4L Hemi MDS orifices and therefore will function differently. One for the 5.7L (5w20) and 0w40 for the 6.4L The thickest we were able to provide on the 5.7L Hemi is 7.5w25 but still had intermittent functionality so we backed it down to 7.5w23 and that functions great in the 5.7L Hemi V8. We have provided oil for these engines well over 14,000 of them with Jed's OCD being one of them both non-eagle and eagle. We kept it the same on the Eagle engine like what you have when they added Variable Valve Timing."

Hey, FYI, I had a Vendor on the ChargerForums, who makes and sells a custom oil for these MDS Hemi's correct me on the Charger forum. (I just bought a 2010 Charger Pursuit with the 5.7)

For anyone thinking that the system is the same between the different displacement Hemi engines, this is what I was told regarding running the Pennzoil SRT 0w40 in the 5.7

"The orifices on the 5.7L MDS are different than the 6.4L Hemi MDS orifices and therefore will function differently. One for the 5.7L (5w20) and 0w40 for the 6.4L The thickest we were able to provide on the 5.7L Hemi is 7.5w25 but still had intermittent functionality so we backed it down to 7.5w23 and that functions great in the 5.7L Hemi V8. We have provided oil for these engines well over 14,000 of them with Jed's OCD being one of them both non-eagle and eagle. We kept it the same on the Eagle engine like what you have when they added Variable Valve Timing."

Given that none of those grades exist, I'd take the rest of it with a massive grain of salt. The part numbers for the MDS components, including the lifters, are identical between the 6.4L and the 5.7L BTW, which you can verify on the Mopar parts shop. The primary difference between the two engines appears to be camshaft and spring pressure. Otherwise, the parts are all the same. The programming is of course different, but that's not a physical thing.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Given that none of those grades exist, I'd take the rest of it with a massive grain of salt. The part numbers for the MDS components, including the lifters, are identical between the 6.4L and the 5.7L BTW, which you can verify on the Mopar parts shop. The primary difference between the two engines appears to be camshaft and spring pressure. Otherwise, the parts are all the same. The programming is of course different, but that's not a physical thing.

Brian has a lot of info, but as far as functionality we Hemi owners have been dancing on this issue since 04. He makes excellent oil in bizarre grades that really holds up per real world analysis. But I know hemis with 200k miles on them running 40w oils. I also own 2. There are only the most insignificant variations in MDS performance from most oils. It simply is not an issue that will ever be noticed unless you analyze things to the 4th decimal place like Brian does.

The real world facts are that new gen Hemis run great on almost any oil.

Originally Posted by dave1251

No it does not if this was the case no motor oil would work. Oil is an dynamic fluid meaning it is constantly changing its viscosity with tempature, time, and ect.

Gasbuggy said:

I do not know what your point because everything here is non-sense.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Brian has a lot of info, but as far as functionality we Hemi owners have been dancing on this issue since 04. He makes excellent oil in bizarre grades that really holds up per real world analysis. But I know hemis with 200k miles on them running 40w oils. I also own 2. There are only the most insignificant variations in MDS performance from most oils. It simply is not an issue that will ever be noticed unless you analyze things to the 4th decimal place like Brian does.

He may make excellent oils (I've never heard of the guy) but making up grades drives me nuts. There are standard grades that cover the ranges of viscosity, making up your own to slot in between the real ones to sound unique is simply silly. Like how do you even qualify a 7.5W? There's only a 5C test difference between 5W-xx and 10W-xx and the ranges are relatively generous
21.gif

Anyways, the "orifice" point sounds like complete BS. If that were the case, then when the oil was cold, MDS wouldn't work and neither would VCT as that 0.04 second figure is static and viscosity isn't. Since we know that's not the case, that casts a serious cloud of doubt on the validity of everything presented.

It's quite easy to use a visc calc to see how little difference in oil temp is required for a 5w-20 to be the same operating viscosity as a 0w-40. The programming is definitely different between the 0w-40 spec engines and the 5w-20 spec ones, but again, that's just software. Anyone participating in burla's Redline saga is already running a MUCH heavier lubricant, as Redline's 5w-30 has the same HTHS as most 0w-40's and is close to an xW-40 on the KV100 too. I'm guessing none of those guys are complaining their MDS isn't working nor their VCT.

He may make excellent oils (I've never heard of the guy) but making up grades drives me nuts. There are standard grades that cover the ranges of viscosity, making up your own to slot in between the real ones to sound unique is simply silly. Like how do you even qualify a 7.5W? There's only a 5C test difference between 5W-xx and 10W-xx and the ranges are relatively generous
21.gif

Anyways, the "orifice" point sounds like complete BS. If that were the case, then when the oil was cold, MDS wouldn't work and neither would VCT as that 0.04 second figure is static and viscosity isn't. Since we know that's not the case, that casts a serious cloud of doubt on the validity of everything presented.

It's quite easy to use a visc calc to see how little difference in oil temp is required for a 5w-20 to be the same operating viscosity as a 0w-40. The programming is definitely different between the 0w-40 spec engines and the 5w-20 spec ones, but again, that's just software. Anyone participating in burla's Redline saga is already running a MUCH heavier lubricant, as Redline's 5w-30 has the same HTHS as most 0w-40's and is close to an xW-40 on the KV100 too. I'm guessing none of those guys are complaining their MDS isn't working nor their VCT.

I read MDS doesn't come on until oil temp sensor sees 120 degrees...

5.7s can throw a code stating incorrect oil, internet is littered with people getting this code. P1521

Last edited:

21.gif

I also have a Charger with a Pentastar. I would love to buy 5W30 for both and not have to use two different viscosity oils. Say the engine light does come one. Is there any harm in finishing the OIC before switching back? I don't know I'm brave enough to risk it. I though my wear numbers got much better with making the switch to PPHM (Last 2) over VFSHM (First sample)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back