Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

The original had 530k on it?!?!
shocked2.gif

My apologies Artem, the 530,200 mileage figure was really a note to myself for when I just changed the PCV valve.

The thing is that I used to change the air filter and the PCV valve at 12,000 miles. Since I've been on this web site,

I learned that changing the air filter too often is not the best choice. So, I haven't been changing the PCV valve as

often as in the past. This one went 30,000 miles. I will have to rework my PCV valve interval back to 12,000 miles.

Originally Posted by harry j
Ah yes Garak, this oil will never be approved for Dexos1, gen2 due to higher than specified Sulfated Ash level. Even if it did, the expense of certification is steep.

Formulators had to reduce SA when CJ-4 came out and somehow managed.
wink.gif
Now, I'm not sure how steep dexos1 certification is, but it is perfectly acceptable to me for Amsoil to make that disclaimer that they cannot meet dexos1 due to SA.

Amsoil SAY that the price of certification is steep...TomNJ says otherwise.

But certification would mean that they have to retest every time they changed base oil supplier...thy don't want to do that and have said as much.

In reference to another thread, in the Euro section, I believe, there was mention that the testing is costly for various specifications. Of course. However, if you're going to claim to meet and exceed specifications (without actually getting formal approval), shouldn't the actual testing be done? I have zero problem with an oil saying (and we even see it from the majors) that it would meet all of GF-5 except it has too much phosphorus and/or has too high HTHS and/or is the wrong grade. If that's the case, I'm fine if they ran the other tests.

I've had this annoying, just audible bearing noise, especially at low idle. To keep a longish story short, it turned out to be

the A/C idler bearing.

thats super clean engine bay and exterior for that age. Cleaner than my 5k miles Camaro! Are you first owner?

s2krunner, I purchased this Civic in 2000, it had 64,000 miles on it at that time.

Now heading to 532,000 miles, I couldn't be happier with not only the performance, but also the utility of it.

That is a boat load of miles - WOW. Automatic transmission to boot, how many transmissions have you had to replace as i know those Honda boxes can be weak.

My sister had a '93 EX Coupe she drove to ~280k miles then handed it down to my stepbrother, he had it just shy of 300k when he did an oil change the old filter gasket stayed in place and it puked all the oil out and engine seized up so they sent it to the junker. This was a Minnesota car its entire life and it did not have it easy, coming from a V6 Corsica my sister pushed that thing HARD. "Normal" acceleration for her would be revving it out to 5000-5500 RPM to get to speed, I'm sure it was the same for my stepbrother. To this day they both wonder how many miles it could have gone had he not mucked up that oil change.

pezzy669, the transmission is the original unrebuilt automatic transmission. the only things I have done to it

is change the fluid often (every 10,000 miles) and use Amsoil ATF. I also got rid of the factory joke of a magnetic drain plug

and had special hi temp neodyium magnets made for it. I smashen out the piece of junk factory magnet, drilled the plug out 1/2"

deep and JB welded the magnet in. The JB weld was overkill as the magnet is so strong, that it would have held itself in the

Factory plug.

I have been posting on BITOG since the Civic had 241,000 miles, but I started using the Amsoil ATF at around 120,000 miles. The current

mileage is 532,000.

pezzy669, the transmission is the original unrebuilt automatic transmission. the only things I have done to it

is change the fluid often (every 10,000 miles) and use Amsoil ATF. I also got rid of the factory joke of a magnetic drain plug

and had special hi temp neodyium magnets made for it. I smashen out the piece of junk factory magnet, drilled the plug out 1/2"

deep and JB welded the magnet in. The JB weld was overkill as the magnet is so strong, that it would have held itself in the

Factory plug.

I would like to see a picture of this. Amsoil ATF is awesome stuff and my go to ATF fluid.

You are changing your Amsoil ATF every 10,000 miles? That's excessive or did you mean every 100,000? I run it 60,000 miles at least and it's always cherry red when it comes out. I got 300K miles out of my Santa Fe doing that.

As for filter magnets, just put them on the outside of the filter's metal case, but I don't think you need them with the miles you have accumulated.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
StevieC, the transmission has an aluminum casing, I think you are talking about the oil filter. The fluid is changed every 10,000 miles (3 quarts)

Originally Posted by diyjake

Factory plug.

I would like to see a picture of this. Amsoil ATF is awesome stuff and my go to ATF fluid.

I am not sure a picture of the transmission would tell you anything. I will try to get ths camera to work again

and take whatever photo I can of the transmission

Back