Milwaukee 2861 1/2" Mid-Torque Impact Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just came in the mail last week.

Milwaukee promises 600 ft-lbs of "nut-busting" torque and 450 ft-lbs of fastening torque. As usual, Milwaukee overrates a bit so take these figures with a grain of salt.

So far, I have only used it on lug nuts and an axle nut. No problems with both. Speed 2 seems to be perfect for removing and installing the 19 and 21mm lug nuts found on many Asian vehicles; it consistently tightens lug nuts very close to 80 ft-lbs as long as you lightly run them down. Note: I always snug up lug nuts with the impact and do the final tightening with a torque wrench.

I will add more feedback as time goes on.

Price was $144 for the bare tool after the eBay 15% off coupon. I think prices may have gone up after 1/1 since I can no longer find them advertised for $169 on eBay.

49820764_809163632758854_3011939841744044032_n.jpg

49505562_356139361831386_5586842709303230464_n.jpg

Milwaukee is increasing their prices when they release their next evolution of the M18 line this year. I think people are buying current M18 tools in anticipation.

Get em now while they are still priced the same as the competitors, I think they have beaten Makita finally and will be upmarket from both Makita and Dewalt in the near future.

Dewalt will always be my go-to as long as they have the cheapest batteries.

It is still possible to buy a made in Japan Makita so I don't believe they are going upscale from them. Just from my own experience using both Makita is better quality than the TTI stuff.
Milwaukee CS sucks big time and that's not an opinion.

I have the same model, and I find it handles everything I throw at it. I no longer use my air impact gun. Like you, I doubt it can do 600+ ft lbs, but I can see 300-400 ft lbs.

I have one that is rated the same torque numbers. It has taken off everything I have tried it on except for a crank bolt on my Toyota pickup. It's removed head bolts no problem that are known to be tight on the exhaust side. Couple weeks ago it easily removed an axle nut that was torqued at 220 ft pounds.

Wish I had saved up a little bit more, and bought the the higher torque rated brushless model, but the price was too good to pass up when I bought mine.

Originally Posted by BigD1
I have one that is rated the same torque numbers. It has taken off everything I have tried it on except for a crank bolt on my Toyota pickup. It's removed head bolts no problem that are known to be tight on the exhaust side. Couple weeks ago it easily removed an axle nut that was torqued at 220 ft pounds.

Wish I had saved up a little bit more, and bought the the higher torque rated brushless model, but the price was too good to pass up when I bought mine.

If I recall correctly, the high torque model was the same
price. Just heavier. If I need extra power, I already have other options.

Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good Critic. How much does it weigh?

5.3 lbs with the 5.0aH battery.

Why a mid-torque vs the high-torque model? I have the high-torque model and it does everything I need.

I do no believe there is a big difference in price or weight?

Why a mid-torque vs the high-torque model? I have the high-torque model and it does everything I need.

I have the high torque model and absolutely love it. It has zipped several Honda crank bolts and axle nuts right off with no hesitation. Typically those are the worst ones I have to mess around with unless I run across a seized chassis bolt. Easily my best tool purchase of the last couple years.

Originally Posted by SubyRoo
I have the high torque model and absolutely love it. It has zipped several Honda crank bolts and axle nuts right off with no hesitation. Typically those are the worst ones I have to mess around with unless I run across a seized chassis bolt. Easily my best tool purchase of the last couple years.

If it knocks loose those Honda crank bolts that speaks volumes. Those are the ugliest small bolts I ever dealt with.

Originally Posted by Donald

the high torque is 5.9# vs 3.9# mid torque. Also some size difference.

The big one is hard on the wrists to use all day for sure.

I love my new m12 stubby impact. which is 2# (and lighter battery than m18 too)

Originally Posted by Rand

Would someone use a cordless impact all day? I would think a mechanic would use an air impact if he was using it daily. Lighter and can be dropped.

The weight on the cordless tool can also be controlled somewhat by battery size/weight.

I have one of these Mid-Torque guns and it is good but I use the smaller M18 compact the most. My M18 Mid-Torque just seems to bulky for most applications and is nowhere near as powerful as the huge Dewalt 899 (wish I would have waited to get a Milwaukee high torque) I have even with extensions. Still, the Mid-Torque is a nice gun and if a person can only get one this would be a great choice.

Would someone use a cordless impact all day? I would think a mechanic would use an air impact if he was using it daily. Lighter and can be dropped.

The weight on the cordless tool can also be controlled somewhat by battery size/weight.

Don't think of cordless tools as a replacement for air, they are an addition to the air tools.

Originally Posted by Trav

Don't think of cordless tools as a replacement for air, they are an addition to the air tools.

Maybe, maybe not. Just yesterday I was at my local Indy shop - their 12.5hp 120 gallon IR compressor now sits idle and disconnected. Then I was at Discount Tire where they also use cordless exclusively.

"The times they are achangin"

I can see places like a body shop which needs a constant supply of air using them, but for most other shops, the revolution is evident.

Last edited:
If they disconnected their compressor they are not too bright, there are air tools that cordless just cannot replace, big impacts for one. I looked around today at the air powered stuff I use and except for the small 1/2" cordless impact and a small drill nothing could be replaced with a cordless tool.

Actually, they are very bright. A very successful, innovative, long standing shop - a true jewel, a rare find. I will start another thread on this subject for better exposure and greater interest.

What you say about them and what they did (if they actually disconnected it) are 2 completely different things. No need for another thread, no one cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back