'19 VW Atlas SEL Premium

Originally Posted by edyvw
I would. VR6 was always premium gas engine. It is in the Atlas that they switched to regular.

Common sense tells me to run the fuel grade called for.

It's a $1 split between 87 and 93. That's an extra $20 per tank out the tailpipe. For what gain?

that's good news vw is tuning its suv engines for regular gas. most everyday drivers are likely to be turned off by having to pump more expensive premium into a family hauler. i would have gotten the older tiguan, and not my passat, if the former had an engine that runs on regular.

It is true they are tuning them to at least tolerate it, but I believe it is more about generating sales and keeping "cost of ownership" figures as low as possible on paper. Any German turbo or in this case also the VR6 would be best served with premium fuel IMO. It's all my VR6 is getting. As mentioned the VR6 has long spec'd premium fuel...my dealer told me to use premium in it as well.

Right now I am paying 30 cents less per gallon for Shell premium than I was paying for regular a few months ago...hope this lasts a while!

Originally Posted by jstert
that's good news vw is tuning its suv engines for regular gas. most everyday drivers are likely to be turned off by having to pump more expensive premium into a family hauler. i would have gotten the older tiguan, and not my passat, if the former had an engine that runs on regular.

And you're part of the problem...

Not tuning an engine for its full potential sounds dumb...

Letting the bean-counters tell you it CAN run on a lower octane? Even dumber...

Originally Posted by gathermewool

What is the problem? VW is trying to sell as many units as possible. If their competition all recommend 87 octane, and VW is requiring 93, that is sure to turn off countless buyers in such a competitive market segment.

It has nothing to do with tuning an engine to its full potential-- if that were the case, then most every manufacturer is guilty; they should all be wringing out that last 10hp by requiring 93 octane, no? The idea that we should all pony up the extra cost for premium fuel is what's dumb.

And that is coming from a guy who only heats one room in his house , talk about not using it to it's potential . Why the personal attacks ? Put another pair of socks on and it will be ok .

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Looks nice. I'm not too crazy about the black wheels.

Good thing it isn't yours!
thumbsup2.gif

I like that they can provide different tunes and the car will advance the timing on its own if it detects that it can. Like the 5.7 HEMI's... 89 recommended, but it'll run on 87. And I believe the eco-boost engines Ford uses can use 87-91/93, at least the manual I read online said 87 minimum, but for maximum performance run 91/93.

Someone filling up with 87 in a car that can benefit from something higher likely isn't exceeding 50% throttle at any point in time. Someone who enjoys driving and drives their car harder isn't likely to care about the cost difference.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Someone filling up with 87 in a car that can benefit from something higher likely isn't exceeding 50% throttle at any point in time. Someone who enjoys driving and drives their car harder isn't likely to care about the cost difference.

It's an Atlas, not a GTI.

I'm not sure I've gone past 3/4 throttle, even in the one we test drove.

Did you get the active lane departure warning option? How do you like it? I had test driven an Atlas last year when I was looking for our next family hauler and thought the departure system was aggressive in a positive way. It gave a decent nudge on the wheel which I like better than the 'stick shaker' on other cars. I wound up w/ a different SUV but really liked the Atlas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Did you get the active lane departure warning option? How do you like it? I had test driven an Atlas last year when I was looking for our next family hauler and thought the departure system was aggressive in a positive way. It gave a decent nudge on the wheel which I like better than the 'stick shaker' on other cars. I wound up w/ a different SUV but really liked the Atlas.

Yes, ours has every option.

I actually really enjoy the system. Like you said, it intervenes in a good way. If I try to point it out of my lane (within reason) it will nudge me back in. The ACC is also exactly as it needs to be as well. I like how I can set the aggressiveness of the system as well as the following distance.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
It is true they are tuning them to at least tolerate it, but I believe it is more about generating sales and keeping "cost of ownership" figures as low as possible on paper. Any German turbo or in this case also the VR6 would be best served with premium fuel IMO. It's all my VR6 is getting. As mentioned the VR6 has long spec'd premium fuel...my dealer told me to use premium in it as well.

Right now I am paying 30 cents less per gallon for Shell premium than I was paying for regular a few months ago...hope this lasts a while!

We in CO have 85 as regular.
So I use 91 in Costco. 91 in Costco costs as 89 on Shell or other stations.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

What is the problem? VW is trying to sell as many units as possible. If their competition all recommend 87 octane, and VW is requiring 93, that is sure to turn off countless buyers in such a competitive market segment.

It has nothing to do with tuning an engine to its full potential-- if that were the case, then most every manufacturer is guilty; they should all be wringing out that last 10hp by requiring 93 octane, no? The idea that we should all pony up the extra cost for premium fuel is what's dumb.

Most people know absolutely nothing about vehicles; many purchase based solely on emotion. My statement isn't made wrong, based on the fact that people aren't willing to do the math or cost-benefit analysis. It's also not made wrong by the manufacturers wanting to cater to the majority, which all happen to be the lowest common denominator.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

And that is coming from a guy who only heats one room in his house , talk about not using it to it's potential . Why the personal attacks ? Put another pair of socks on and it will be ok .

32.gif
Man, some people just don't get it.

1. Our bedroom is 15' X 24', not including the walk-in closet and large master bath. Let's be real - this is almost as large as our family room.

2. Our family room is open to the entire first floor, meaning heating it will require heating the entire first floor. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that sounds dumb to do in the coldest months.

3. We have everything in our master BR that we have in the family room, PLUS a fast PC with a large, 27" display.

4. 55* isn't cold. You may need to keep your heat at 75* to be comfortable, but not me.

5. We don't hunker down in one bedroom and put on snow-clothes to enter the rest of the house. When we have people over or fee like watching movies or TV with a better sound system, on a larger TV, we either turn the heat up or cozy up in our heated queen-size blanket.

6. We enjoy our home as we see fit. I can't see any logic to force us into using the family room in the above context, spending HUNDREDS more per month to do so. Maybe you're made of money, but I sure as [censored] ain't. I'd rather take the saved money and use it for things that actually matter and bring joy to the family.

I like that they can provide different tunes and the car will advance the timing on its own if it detects that it can. Like the 5.7 HEMI's... 89 recommended, but it'll run on 87. And I believe the eco-boost engines Ford uses can use 87-91/93, at least the manual I read online said 87 minimum, but for maximum performance run 91/93.

Bingo, especially on a N/A motor that may have been tuned from the get-go for lower octane, but can advance timing to take advantage of some level of higher octane. I still don't think it makes sense to tune a turbo engine for 87, but allowing for better performance with higher octane. Seems riskier to me.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

It's an Atlas, not a GTI.

I'm not sure I've gone past 3/4 throttle, even in the one we test drove.

You're also carrying a LOT more weight in this package than a GTI = (potential for) more average overall load for daily-driving.

I'm not saying your VR6 isn't tuned and will run well for forever on 87 octane. I don't know if VW has tuned the ECU to allow for lower octane or has designed it for lower octane. IMO, there's a HUGE difference between the two.

My '14 FXT can use 87 octane, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who does so. This was Subaru catering to the lowest common denominator to make sales, not because it's prudent. Regardless of each of our motivation, I think we can all agree that prudence should trump want in this context.

hi rooflessvw, if you hit 10k miles, did you have it serviced by vw? how was that experience?
I did changes myself at 2,5k, 5k, and 10k myself with M1 FS 0W-40 and OE filters.

Sticking with 10k and M1 FS 0W-40.

My dealer and I go way back; they only see me if it's warranty, something I can't/won't do, or if I'm car shopping.

0823201225_HDR.jpg

Touching up some chips and taking care of some scratches this weeknd before applying a new coating.

Going to give Poorboy's new coatings a try.

Back