Oil drain valves like Fumoto and EZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wemay
The benefits are obvious, but...

What are the drawbacks to using these?
Have any of you tried it and reverted back to plug? Why?
Which are the most reliable? ( I didn't realize there were so many).

I'm interested but undecided.

Thanks in advance
thumbsup2.gif

What's the big advantage you still have to crawl under the car?

The benefits are obvious, but...
What are the drawbacks to using these?
Have any of you tried it and reverted back to plug? Why?
Which are the most reliable? ( I didn't realize there were so many).
I'm interested but undecided.
Thanks in advance
thumbsup2.gif

Drawbacks:
-- potential for leakage (maybe small, but still... happens once and you are toast)
-- vulnerable to damage (not always, depends on model... happens once and you are toast)
-- spending money on a part you don't really need

With the popularity of these quick drain valves... our lives have become WAY too busy.
If 20 minutes is too long for a homemade oil change, it's probably time to loosen up the schedule a bit. Just sayin

I went to Fumoto's HQ at 45 E.34th St. in Manhattan. They had a wall of bins with lots of sizes.
Go to their catalog / website or call 'em (877) 350-5584
Are you looking for a size used by car/truck makers or something odd?

I just couldn't handle it sticking down and being so exposed. I used them for a while but it does take a lot longer to drain and when I removed them a little more oil came out. Not a lot, though.

I sold all of mine here on bitog.....

Used a Fumoto 10 years on a Saturn. No problem. Loved to just change oil in Winter and used a good filter for 2 OCI's.

Then came my 2017 Elantra. Was going to let dealership change oil then had 3 gallons of free PP 5w-30 to use. I figured a way to change my oil with car parked in garage. So with the EZ valve I just come home from work. Open valve under cat litter pan. Come in and pet cats. Take a cat nap. A few hours later come out and close the valve and change oil filter. If I want a look see I use a mirror. Everything is protected and more oil drained than with oil drain plug. Needed 4.2 quarts compared to the 4 quarts needed when using the drain plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Fortunately I never owned a vehicle that I felt needed one.

For me, the vehicles didn't need a Fumoto at all. The real problem was the person who always makes a mess doing the oil change. That would be the guy I see every day in the mirror when shaving.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Fortunately I never owned a vehicle that I felt needed one.

For me, the vehicles didn't need a Fumoto at all. The real problem was the person who always makes a mess doing the oil change. That would be the guy I see every day in the mirror when shaving.
wink.gif

Even with a Fumoto valve I managed to make a mess. Was in a rush one day and put oil in my Saturn before I closed the valve. They are not fool proof, me being the fool.

I'm sure I can still make a mess. I imagine I can move the oil pan somewhere foolish, fumble with the valve, and there's always my old standby of slam dunking the oil filter into the pan.

I have them on my truck and Scion, had them on my Elantra, Jeep TJ, and Grand Caravan, will be getting one for my Santa Fe.
I just find it easier when doing the oil change to not worry about what size the drain plug is. Just get the drain pan, slide it under, and open the Fumoto. Go up top, remove the fill cap, go grab the filter and oil, go under vehicle and close Fumoto, remove and replace filter, go back up top, add oil and done.

While these drain valves are not for me, but I do have a question:
What if the thread length is somewhat longer than the female threads?
Does this limit a complete drain?

Just curious...

JeffKeryk,

Yes, there's a video where model 106 SX is being installed on a 2015 Wrangler where the presenter discusses this.

JeffKeryk,

Yes, there's a video where model 106 SX is being installed on a 2015 Wrangler where the presenter discusses this.

That video landed on Youtube; I tool a look.
I guess a lotta people like these valves, but it ain't for me.
Not sure how much oil is trapped in the pan, but it certainly looks like some could be.

For me, grabbing a Snap-On wrench outta the roll away is a thing of joy.

I have tested mine on my Santa Fe, Journey and now the Caravan whereby I drain the oil using the valve, close the valve and then remove the valve and see what else comes out and it's only a few drips at most, not even a fine stream or dripping stream indicating there was a bit more oil to come out so it's getting everything out of mine.

You could always put a thin threaded nut onto the valve first, tighten down and then put this up against the blue sealing washer they send you with the valve and this will keep more threads on the valve out of the pan, but I haven't found this necessary to date on any of the vehicles I have had it on. Maybe it's because I change my oil using ramps on the front end and the engine is tilted or because the oil is hot when I change it I don't know...

Last edited:
Any steel pan that has an oil drain has a fitting that extends beyond the floor of the pan. There is definitely oil staying in there. Unbelievably, some cast pans are this way too.

I use Fumoto valves on some of my equipment. They are fantastic for windy days and such. No big mess or oil being whipped all over.

I am not worried about a few ounces of oil that may be left in my pan (if any) by using the Fumoto.
More oil sitting in passageways and such within the engine than is left in the pan.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Not sure how much oil is trapped in the pan, but it certainly looks like some could be.

In my case, with the G37, my experience is the same as that of StevieC. I basically let it stop dripping, removed the Fumoto, and just got dripping again, so it's pretty insignificant. Of course, it's not necessarily that way in other applications.

I have used Fumoto valves on all my vehicles and equipment for over 20 years. Jeeps, cars, pickup trucks, semi trucks, compact tractors, etc. I have never reverted back to plug. I change any vehicle over to Fumoto at the first oil change. My previous Jeep and all my pickups have had to deal with off road on my property. Ditches, hillside terraces, pushing snow, nasty rural gravel roads year round, etc. I have never had a valve leak or fail. The one on my '95 Freightliner went 1.4 million miles. A '05 International, 989,000 miles. Current 2013 Freightliner, 926,000 miles thus far. 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6, '98 Chevy 2500 454, '13 Chevy 1500 5.3, '15 Chevy 2500 6.0, and '06 Jeep Liberty diesel. Fumoto on all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back