Oil drain valves like Fumoto and EZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
The benefits are obvious, but...

What are the drawbacks to using these?
Have any of you tried it and reverted back to plug? Why?
Which are the most reliable? ( I didn't realize there were so many).

I'm interested but undecided.

Thanks in advance
thumbsup2.gif

I would have to have an install where it was protected from damage . Especially sticking down lower than the rest of the underside of the vehicle .

I have used the Fumotos on all my vehicles since 2005. No issues or failures. The only drawback is slower drain flow so longer time requirements and the possibility that slightly more old oil remains in the pan than using the plug. Neither have been an issue to me in 13 years.

I prefer using an oil extractor. One extractor is good for as many vehicles as you service, you don't have to crawl under the vehicle, you don't have to worry about it leaking, you don't have to worry about stripping the threads on the oil plug.

Originally Posted by wemay
The benefits are obvious, but...

What are the drawbacks to using these?
Have any of you tried it and reverted back to plug? Why?
Which are the most reliable? ( I didn't realize there were so many).

I'm interested but undecided.

Thanks in advance
thumbsup2.gif

The Subaru were perfect for the Fumoto valves. I little recess in the bottom engine cover where the drain plug was. With Fumoto valve installed it is still up in recess, nothing sticks down.

On Ford PSD the oil drain plug seems more exposed so still have drain plug.

One drawback is the unfamiliarity of most mechanics with the concept. If you take your Fumoto-equipped vehicle in for an oil change don't be surprised if they remove the valve completely.

Originally Posted by Danh
One drawback is the unfamiliarity of most mechanics with the concept. If you take your Fumoto-equipped vehicle in for an oil change don't be surprised if they remove the valve completely.

Yep.

CAT had a similar valve on heavy machinery and it was very slow to drain, it was more like a petcock with 1/4 tubing. I can't see using these types of drains on a typical car. I have seen quick couplers on heavy trucks to attach a pump to a bulk tank.

I had to return a Fumoto valve for a refund since it didn't fit on my 1993 Yota. The clearance between the oil drain hole and the tranny housing wasn't enough to manipulate the valve into the oil pan.

i just checked with both brands and they say i need an adapter. Not fond of adding yet another potential leaking point so will have to think this through.

I like to dump the oil and have it come out as quickly as possible. Usually with the engine hot and I even open the fill cap to help. The Idea is to draw out any heavier particulates that may be on the bottom of the pan near the oil drain. Anything that slows down the flow or has threads that extend up into the pan IMO is not optimal. After I drain oil I also look at the drain pan for anything abnormal.

i just checked with both brands and they say i need an adapter. Not fond of adding yet another potential leaking point so will have to think this through.

I own a 2013 SFS 2.0T same as yours. No adapter is needed for a Fumoto, F106N (nipple version) Is best. Been using them for 30 years, never a leak,

Slow draining issue? That's when you do the filter.

Originally Posted by user52165

I own a 2013 SFS 2.0T same as yours. No adapter is needed for a Fumoto, F106N (nipple version) Is best. Been using them for 30 years, never a leak,

Slow draining issue? That's when you do the filter.

Correct, the Hyundai doesn't. It's the Sportage that does.

Been using Fumoto for over a decade on multiple vehicles in the family including my own. No downsides I can see. I get just as much oil out with the valave as with the drain plug.

I really like that you can put a tube on the end of the version I buy with the brass nipple (not the white plastic version) so that the oil doesn't splash on windy days as its draining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I like to dump the oil and have it come out as quickly as possible. Usually with the engine hot and I even open the fill cap to help. The Idea is to draw out any heavier particulates that may be on the bottom of the pan near the oil drain. Anything that slows down the flow or has threads that extend up into the pan IMO is not optimal. After I drain oil I also look at the drain pan for anything abnormal.

If the valve slows it down (if) its not by much. It will drain out quickly with Fumoto valve or just drain hole.

I doubt there is a significant amount of oil left in the oil pan after draining with a Fumoto valve.

Originally Posted by redbone3
I prefer using an oil extractor. One extractor is good for as many vehicles as you service, you don't have to crawl under the vehicle, you don't have to worry about it leaking, you don't have to worry about stripping the threads on the oil plug.

I bought an oil extractor, only to find that I can't get the tube down into the fluid on my Subaru. Not the oil, nor the transmission fluid. I'm not sure if there's something blocking the path or if the opening is just big enough for the flat metal of the dipstick to get through. I worked and wiggled and pushed the tube for probably 5-7 minutes each to no avail. I was heartbroken to discover this after dropping $50 on the extractor.

I don't think there is a blanket yes or no answer. It depends on your vehicle. Will the valve make it easier to drain the oil?

Then there is the possible consequences of having someone else do your oil change. Will they secure the valve properly?

On my truck, I have the version with the nipple. I have a 6" length of hose clamped to the nipple. The truck has an underbelly "diaper"-like skid plate with some cutouts in it. I leave the hose laying on the diaper when not in use and pull it through the cutout and directly into my oil jug (repurposed 9.8 liter plastic RV antifreeze jug). Reach up, flip the lever and drain the oil without a pan. when it's done, flip the lever closed and tuck the hose back onto the plate. the filter has a built in funnel under it and i can direct the oil from the filter directly into the same jug. Easy oil change with the fumoto and no mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back