First Repair for the Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I was gonna wait until the 2 year mark for an update (February 9th) but since the Sonata just had it's first repair, I figured I might as well.

So I bought my 15' Sonata used almost 2 years ago at 52k miles. So far, at just shy of 90k miles, it hasn't had what I would call real repairs until now. All it has had is 2 headlight bulbs (I used to work night shift) and a new battery (almost 3-1/2 years) in Phoenix, which surprised me it lasted that long.

So the first repair? A new outer CV boot for the driver's side. It got a tiny hair line crack in it and was starting to sling grease. While my mechanic had it taken apart I had him do the inner boot as well, with OEM boots. The whole cost was $217, but if I had him just do the outer boot (all it technically needed) it would have been $144.
$144 in actual real repairs needed for 90k miles, which I'm happy with.

The car is extremely comfortable and drives great, I have no complaints. This spring it'll need brake pads and tires.

[Linked Image]

you just caught it on time, GL

btw, I have never replaced a cv boot, neither the inner or the outer one on my old Mazda

Well, that's pretty young for a CV boot to crack, but it happens... I would say it doesn't even count for a real repair! Its a wear and tear item, good call on OEM, I won't use an aftermarket boot/clamp on any of my Hondas! The inner boot/clamp has to be removed to R/I the outer boot/clamp, so I would say good call. I would have replaced both, but the inners rarely fail. The outers take all the abuse.

I'm going to speculate that the heat had a lot to do with this. Especially coming off the road surfaces.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm going to speculate that the heat had a lot to do with this. Especially coming off the road surfaces.

Kinda what I was thinking too...

Good catch!!

Glad to read how pleased you are We've been very happy with Hyundai as well. As Pim Tac eluded to, the Phoenix heat may be at play here.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
You bought it used. Who knows what the previous owner did.

Other than sabotage, what would having been pre-owed have to do with this part going bad?

What would a half shaft replacement coast ?

I have replaced boots and replaced half shafts on Ford & GM products .

doing better than girlfriends 13 malibu bought new, a radiator + water pump @ just under 60 thou, waiting for wheel bearings, sisters 10 took 3 in a 100 thou!!

Originally Posted by benjy
doing better than girlfriends 13 malibu bought new, a radiator + water pump @ just under 60 thou, waiting for wheel bearings, sisters 10 took 3 in a 100 thou!!

All the potholes in PA, can't say I'm surprised.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
You bought it used. Who knows what the previous owner did.

Yeah, it was a prior rental

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What would a half shaft replacement coast ?
I have replaced boots and replaced half shafts on Ford & GM products .

For OEM, more than what I'd be willing to pay. Aftermarket axles suck, I had a bad one on a VW that vibrated bad.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by benjy

All the potholes in PA, can't say I'm surprised.

I work at 75th Ave & Lower Buckeye. Driving down Lower Buckeye and Broadway... whoa... those are some rough roads!

Originally Posted by Nick1994

I work at 75th Ave & Lower Buckeye. Driving down Lower Buckeye and Broadway... whoa... those are some rough roads!

I thought you lived in Mesa? That's some commute! Those roads are smooth as glass compared to PA
smile.gif

I thought you lived in Mesa? That's some commute! Those roads are smooth as glass compared to PA
smile.gif

Yeah I live at Alma School & Guadalupe. 30 miles one way. My commute now usually has me on the 10 though.

I'd also like to point out, I scanned my Sonata just for the heck of it with my mechanic's super-fancy brand new Snap-On scan tool. No codes stored at all whatsoever.

I did the same with my grandpa's 14' Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had something like 20+ codes (no CEL). Now a lot of these were for options my car doesn't have, like codes for the power lift gate, the transfer case control module, etc. but also codes for the radio and the instrument cluster.

I'd also like to point out, I scanned my Sonata just for the heck of it with my mechanic's super-fancy brand new Snap-On scan tool. No codes stored at all whatsoever.

I did the same with my grandpa's 14' Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had something like 20+ codes (no CEL). Now a lot of these were for options my car doesn't have, like codes for the power lift gate, the transfer case control module, etc. but also codes for the radio and the instrument cluster.

Just because an aftermarket scan tool shows there's a code for something like a power lift gate doesn't mean there's a problem.

Just because an aftermarket scan tool shows there's a code for something like a power lift gate doesn't mean there's a problem.

Eh, I think it does somewhat. The power lift gate gets mad sometimes and doesn't want to work. The radio won't accept software updates. And then shortly afterwards the transfer case control module went out.

Eh, I think it does somewhat. The power lift gate gets mad sometimes and doesn't want to work. The radio won't accept software updates. And then shortly afterwards the transfer case control module went out.

Well you didn't say stuff wasn't working!
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back