Post 7777 from 37,000 feet. What’s my next plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I own and fly a 177RG. It's a love/hate relationship. 143Kts max cruise solo, but often struggles to reach altitude and 135Kts when hot n heavy. It's Very comfortable, handles like a sports car, and quite roomy. I can fit a full sized dog crate in back (with seat out) with tons of room to spare. I can even sleep in the plane next to the dog crate. It's fuel burn per hour is reasonable, at about 11Gph. As low as 7.5GPh at 13,500, but takes a very long time to get that far up. Maybe an hour at max power.

My thought has always been to get a Mooney 305 Rocket conversion for the stunnning high altitude performance. But I have unusually high oxygen needs at altitude. My next thought is to purchase a 180+Kt Mooney Ovation. Longer cabin than the rocket, great Normally aspirated HP and roughly the same MPG as the 177RG.

I am sure I'd like a Cessna 210 also, but the 160-165Kt speed is not what I want. I've learned that While I love to fly, the faster the better.

Any other thoughts?

Cost no object, go for Epic!

[Linked Image]

Well, I'm an aircraft mechanic, not a super wealthy guy. Cost is limited to 125 or so.

Turbine power is well into The unaffordable range.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Well, I'm an aircraft mechanic, not a super wealthy guy. Cost is limited to 125 or so.

Turbine power is well into The unaffordable range.

I guess that rules out my choice. a CRJ700.

But the Cardinal is so pretty..... Want a Dakota, and isn't every airplane a love/hate relationship?
grin.gif

I have always looked towards the Bonanza line as my goal airplane, w/ the V tail being the impractical favorite. Thoughts on the Beechcraft, they can be in that range, especially for an A&P?

Buy the cheapest Mooney you can find with the IO-550 in it.

Just save a little here and there for landing gear maintenance and repairs

Originally Posted by Astro14
How much room do you need?

Not all that much. It's just my wife and I, plus a good sized Norwegian Elkhound and bags. The Cardinal has more room than I need. Although I have used all of the Cardinal's room carrying bedding (crew rest area) materials for our corporate jet. And I do use the airplane in support of our fleet.

Something like a RV-8 won't work, or for that matter, any of the two seat aircraft.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Astro14
How much room do you need?

Not all that much. It's just my wife and I, plus a good sized Norwegian Elkhound and bags. The Cardinal has more room than I need. Although I have used all of the Cardinal's room carrying bedding (crew rest area) materials for our corporate jet. And I do use the airplane in support of our fleet.

Something like a RV-8 won't work, or for that matter, any of the two seat aircraft.

I was thinking RV-8 for its speed...but no, too small....

Would an RV-10 have enough room?

A Cirrus SR-22 would meet the speed and room, but they're expensive even when high time...

I have been wanting a Bonanza like the S35 model or later 35 series. They are fast, comfortable and have very nice control harmony and the normally aspirated Continentals seem reasonably reliable.

Ever since the Cirrus and Columbia/Cessna 400 singles came out, the doctors seem to have lost interest in the V tailed Bonanza. The Bonanza seems to be affordable these days.

I am reluctant to get rid of the Cessna 180 though. I favor simplicity, utility and 130 knots is fast enough for me. But someday, who knows, I might just get a Bonanza. Especially when/if I finish getting an A&P.

Cujet, are you working in PA? It seems like you are working on a diverse group of airplanes? Fun looking machines too.
I think it is neat that you post on BITOG from FL 370.

I always liked instructing in Bonanzas and Mooneys. It's a nice way to get around. I find the Bonanza far more comfortable.

Astro has a great idea about the RV10 also. Most of the 10's seem expensive though.

I had an RV4 for sixteen years and loved it. No one liked the back seat. I found it very tight in the back seat. The RV8 is a roomy airplane compared to the RV4.

I work in various locations, and PA has become a place to rest when I'm up North. It's not unusual to spend a day in Teterborbo, a few days in White Plains and the rest of the week in Stewart. Followed by weeks to months in Florida.

I'm leaning towards the Mooney Ovation. 190Kts seems just right.

The SR22, 210 and others seem to be 165Kt airplanes, not enough of a jump to make it worthwhile.

I've been dreaming of an RV-8 for quite a few years.... But paying for my kids' college always seems to soak up the "fun money"...

(3 kids, 3 step-kids...yep, 48 checks if you're counting semesters)

A neighbor in Colorado was building an RV-6 in his garage. I watched him build the empennage, and then start on the wing. When it came to sealing that wing, I started thinking the quick-build kit was worth every penny!

The Van's series of airplanes offer great performance (climb, take-off distance, landing distance, and speed) at a reasonable price point.

I love the looks of the RV-4 by the way, great airplane, but it is small...even my 5' 7" wife thought it looked cramped. The RV-8 isn't nearly as pretty, but has enough room for us to fly cross-country...

And if anyone could build an RV, well, it's you, CUJET!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back