California Exhaust Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by anndel
Hope they have that in Honolulu. Those loud Subarus, Hondas, mopeds and some Harleys should be fined.

Miami Beach is strict with idiots on motorcycles revving their engines.

Tourists complain about the noise.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
The problem is how will they enforce it? Will they equip every police vehicle with decibel meters?

There was a product that was developed in Canada called "The Noise Snare". Basically a "sound" version of photo radar.

Problem is, prosecutions were very difficult and I don't know if a single one actually succeeded in securing a conviction.

Originally Posted by user52165
95 db at what distance? Meaningless figure without it.

ON sound systems they put in a distance measurement. Something like 95db within 200 feet...or something like that.

Laws are usually written to be enforceable-but they do miss now and again.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by anndel
Hope they have that in Honolulu. Those loud Subarus, Hondas, mopeds and some Harleys should be fined.

Miami Beach is strict with idiots on motorcycles revving their engines.

Tourists complain about the noise.

It always makes me laugh when people go to Miami Beach expecting peace and quiet.

My Chevy SS, Camaros and others have a bimodal exhaust. A flip of a switch make some good noise. I hope not ticket worthy sounds...but since it is "stock", no ticket.... or at least a sound defense at court?

Last edited:
I did not hear about the new law, but it will be hard to enforce, at least in Silicon Valley.
The police have too much to do as it is.
For example, the commuter lanes are clogged with cheats; they don't even care.

As for the price, well if you do get busted, when you add on court costs, etc, it will certainly be waaaaaay more.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I did not hear about the new law, but it will be hard to enforce, at least in Silicon Valley.

As for the price, well if you do get busted, when you add on court costs, etc, it will certainly be waaaaaay more.

Yep. It is going to cost more than $1000 every single time. I heard that if owner gets a ticket before, owner just have to go fix own and show officer and done. But now $1000 fine and they have to go thru state referee to check vehicles and they are right to put your car back to oem or impound.

Last edited:
Hope we get that here soon, a moron on our little circle was a real treat leaving for his early Sunday morning rides as he revved his ridiculous Harley while the rest of the neighborhood tried to sleep.
I think his body finally fell apart from the various ways he abused it and he doesn't seem to ride much anymore, thank goodness.
This was the kind of guy who thought it was great fun to hold a fireworks show late on school nights and would then be outraged when neighbors called the police (not me, I just yelled at him out the front door and he actually stopped a few times).
We tried to get along with them because our kids liked playing together, but we have no reason to even look at them anymore and I am glad for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Wish it applied to Harleys

Exactly. They're the loudest things on the roads

Indeed … all I drive is quiet …but trucks and HD's zoom around here at 150 dB while teenagers get tickets for car stereo (same location of Friday night lights band) …

Originally Posted by MarkM66

Not always - those rice rockets have loud one's too and so are the Honda Civics with the huge mufflers in the back that are loud and sound like they are going 100mph when they are only doing 30mph.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by skyactiv
California was famous for being a coded law state. That meant you could get away with doing some real nonsense in certain circumstances as shown in the video below.

Famous old clip.

(( Edited - Whistle tip video ))

I was going to post exactly this clip, just to point out how absurdly stupid this kind of thing is. I think a $1000 fine is completely in line for people who pull this B.S.

.. and then there's this kind of annoyance..

OMG. These things sound like a 60 Falcon 144 without a muffler.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by MarkM66

Not always - those rice rockets have loud one's too and so are the Honda Civics with the huge mufflers in the back that are loud and sound like they are going 100mph when they are only doing 30mph.

Luckily for me, those things kinda fell out of style around me. I really don't see them like I use too.

Originally Posted by Cujet
That's a steep fine for a loud exhaust. But I do agree the noise of certain vehicles is outa control.

Around here, large over the road trucks often run straight pipes. This contributes mightily to the noise trucks make.

Couple that with a Jake Brake and things get, ahem, harmonic.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

It will be hard to enforce. Generally PD are having hard time hiring, and priorities are somewhere else. Here in Colorado Springs PD is constantly 150-200 people short. When I lived in San Diego it was similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back