Engine still missing after replacing code Variable Valve Timing Actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Toyota Rav, 4 cylinder, engine is missing badly under acceleration and very badly when cold. Idles pretty good but you can feel slight bucking, almost indiscernible, on the highway. AutoZone read the codes and said most common problem for that code is the variable valve timing actuator. So I replaced with OEM Toyota Densa. No difference. I did not have the codes re-read. What's next?

I thank those people on here who told me where the darn thing was located! But once you had the part in your hand, it was easy to find.

Last edited:
Can you give us the codes that the ecm has thrown? Is it throwing the same codes after the VVTA?

How many miles and what maintenance has been done so far?

any leaks or missing fluids(vanishing oil, coolant etc)

When is the last time it got plugs and wires?

Sounds like you replaced the VVT oil control valve, not the actuator. Are you certain which part it was? The VVT actuator is typically part of the intake camshaft sprocket assembly, not an easy project. The oil control valve is bolted to the outside of the cylinder head and sounds more like what you're working on.

What error code(s) was it throwing prior to the replacement?

Last edited:
Yes, it could be the coil on plug(COP). Is this the 4 cyl or V6? Not that it matters.

If this engine is the V6, I am suggest looking into the Knock Sensors. "Look into", I mean, have the engine scanned properly, looking for issues deep into the system...IDK if I said that right but, I had this issue on an RX300.

Last edited:
Head gasket is fine, not losing any water, nothing to indicate bad head gasket, synthetic oil since new, changed every 10k, 173,300 miles, 4 cylinder, variable valve timing oil control aka solenoid valve assembly replaced, has a sensor, wire, 10mm bolt, bolts from rear of the engine front

I believe the code for the "actuator" was P0027 but I don't remember for sure, AZ gave me a paper. I back Googled the code for actuator.

Last edited:
Is a 2AZ-FE?
Were you getting the vvt lock pin rattle at startup?
How much oil are you consuming?
What brand and weight oil are you using?
What oil filter are you using?

Originally Posted by Rand
any leaks or missing fluids(vanishing oil, coolant etc)

When is the last time it got plugs and wires?

+1,..........

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Is a 2AZ-FE?
Were you getting the vvt lock pin rattle at startup?
How much oil are you consuming?
What brand and weight oil are you using?
What oil filter are you using?

I don't think it's a 2AZ-FE engine, 2.4 FI DOHC
Normal oil usage, 1 qt every 2,000 miles or so, maybe 3,000, maybe even little longer
Brand varies, right now Pennzoil, sometimes Valvoline, Mobil 1, usually Pennzoil
5w-20
Usually Toyota, right now Fram

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I believe the code for the "actuator" was P0027 but I don't remember for sure, AZ gave me a paper. I back Googled the code for actuator.

Throwing parts at a problem based on a stored code rarely fixes the issue. You need to diagnose why the code was set. Maybe look at the freeze frame data as a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back