2014 F250 6.7L; Amsoil SS 5w-40; 8,800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 F250 6.7L PSD, 8800 miles on Amsoil DEO Signature Series Max Duty 5w-40. Motorcraft filter.

Sample #s 1 and 4: Amsoil DEO SS 5w-40
Sample #s 2 and 3: Red Line DEO 15w-40

Deleted 1K into this OCI. Not surprisingly, the delete eliminated the fuel dilution. Plan to start extending OCIs now.

Note: T6 5w-40 resulted in about 3 times as much iron wear per mile for this particular engine, compared to the Amsoil 5w-40 here (see prior posts for the T6 results).

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 126
Last edited:
Looks fine. You can get just as good numbers with Walmart oil like Delo or Rotella T6. Amsoil oil is great oil but pricey. I have some UOA on his forum for my Ford PSD. I added a bypass filter and will probably go 3 OLM cycles. At least 2. I have Delo 5W40 in it now.

20190108_173451.jpg

Originally Posted by Donald
Looks fine. You can get just as good numbers with Walmart oil like Delo or Rotella T6. Amsoil oil is great oil but pricey. I have some UOA on his forum for my Ford PSD. I added a bypass filter and will probably go 3 OLM cycles. At least 2. I have Delo 5W40 in it now.

Why would he go with Rotella when his post told us it shows 3x more iron wear? Looks like the Amsoil showed even better numbers than the Redline.

If I remember correctly, it seems others that did the delete on their diesel pickups saw huge improvement in the aluminum wear. I wouldn't be surprised if your next sample will show lower aluminum, too, because it'll have the benefit of having been deleted from the beginning. Yours has come down but I bet it drops some more next time.

I've never asked anyone before, but does the engine feel more lively and get better fuel economy now? It sure seems like the engine would breathe much easier without the filter and maybe the exhaust routing is smoother, too ?

I used to have a 2005 Cat C15 in a Freightliner Classic XL and each muffler was actually a catalytic converter type thing ( I'm tired and drawing a blank on the technical name). Removing those and replacing them with free flowing mufflers from Pittsburgh Power really made an enormous difference in the way the engine could pull on the hills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dustyroads
If I remember correctly, it seems others that did the delete on their diesel pickups saw huge improvement in the aluminum wear. I wouldn't be surprised if your next sample will show lower aluminum, too, because it'll have the benefit of having been deleted from the beginning. Yours has come down but I bet it drops some more next time.

I've never asked anyone before, but does the engine feel more lively and get better fuel economy now? It sure seems like the engine would breathe much easier without the filter and maybe the exhaust routing is smoother, too ?

I used to have a 2005 Cat C15 in a Freightliner Classic XL and each muffler was actually a catalytic converter type thing ( I'm tired and drawing a blank on the technical name). Removing those and replacing them with free flowing mufflers from Pittsburgh Power really made an enormous difference in the way the engine could pull on the hills.

Good to know that a delete may lower aluminum wear - thanks for the advice on that!

I'm no expert, but think how the engine feels post-delete is largely based on what tune is used. I did a full delete, both dpf and egr. Tune I'm using is a tow tune, which only increases HP by a small amount - I was advised to do this because of towing 14K quite a bit and was told that regular street or high performance tune may cause things to start melting/blow. For my particular engine, the delete and tune has resulted in the following:

(1) mpg increase of about 1 mpg. Its more or less depending on driving conditions (e.g., larger increase in the 50-60 mph range, and lower increase at 70-80 mph, from what I can tell). Also, my understanding is that the only way to really know mpg increase is by hand calculation, because the display tool on the vehicle is often inaccurate.
(2) oil temp about 4 degrees lower on average.
(3) engine is a little more lively taking off, and a little more lively during mid-speed operations, but can't tell much difference at highway speeds. With my typical 14K load in tow, it is significantly easier getting out of the hole now.
(4) fuel dilution gone from the oil, presumably because no more fuel being injected on the exhaust stroke during regens (this may be particular to 6.7L engine due to regen design).
(5) shifting is smoother/better.
(6) sound is almost the same, but can hear the turbo a little bit more. No smoke from exhaust. My dpf shell is still on - just doesn't have anything inside of it now - so no new exhaust piping for me.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Last edited:
Two very good looking oils! I really want to try the new AMSOIL HD10W30 in my 05 PSD but just can't cough up the $35/gallon for it.

You are guaranteed to have a better running, overall longer lasting truck by deleting it! Thats the best thing you can do to a diesel, just watch that POS factory turbocharger on that 2014, didn't they still have the "dual" compressor wheel setup? I think the ceramic bearings were tossed in 2012 but we seen MANY of the 2011-2014 stock turbos grenaded at my last place of employment.

Thanks for the info, claluja. I hadn't thought about a tune in conjunction with the delete. I saw much improved performance from my Cat with just the improved exhaust flow. I later replaced the two standard air filters with new ones from Fleet Air (oiled up foam of some sort) and it made an amazing difference altogether. I could pull hills at low rpm and maintain lots of boost, saving fuel by not down-shifting. Free breathing engines work so much better. I miss having an older OTR truck and making modifications like that.

Back on course, I think you'll see better and better results from your samples in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back