Magnatec 5W-30, 6800 miles, 3.5 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
First sample with Castrol Magnatec. Oil is 5W-30, full synthetic (old formula; not SN+). I've shifted gears from my previous testing and now plan to run the oil until my OLM gets to 20%.

Oil was run for 6,811 miles over 153 days. It ran for 251 hours, including 61 at idle (24%). OLM was at 18%. I did a few hundred miles of towing, but otherwise just the same normal commuting as my other samples. Some have claimed this oil quieted their motor down, but I didn't notice anything different. One batch isn't a trend, but this sample has lower wear metals than the M1 or Schaeffer's averages of my previous testing, so I'm happy with that direction. Especially since this is the longest I've ever run a batch (measured in both miles and OLM remaining). The iron average of my three M1 samples (covering 15,700 miles) was 3.2ppm/1k miles, Schaeffer's was 4.2ppm/1k miles (15,400 miles between the three samples) and this Castrol sample was 2.5ppm/1k miles.

3712429C-645D-4660-B064-FF81348921FF.jpeg

I like the 5 quart container. The best thing about it is the handle vent that connects to the mouth. This allows little bubbles to get from the mouth to the top of the oil still in the tank. This stops the big glugs that you get with the cheaper bottles.

I wonder where the copper is coming from?

What was the oil that you used to use - - with all the moly?

Originally Posted by Linctex
I wonder where the copper is coming from?

What was the oil that you used to use - - with all the moly?

No clue about the copper...

The high-moly UOAs are the three Schaeffer samples

I like it.

Its the only oil that says it reduces wear.... and actually does.

My data set has over 200 samples for the 3.5L EB engine.
They average around 3.9ppm/1k miles for the Fe.
They average around 5.0ppm/1k miles for the Cu. (where the Cu comes from I cannot say; don't know the engine well enough. perhaps a Cu based oil cooler like some GM engines?)
They average around 1.0ppm/1k miles for Al.
The other metals are generally low enough to not even consider an issue; only if you got a huge spike would it be a cause for concern.

This UOA is pretty typical for a 3.5EB; nothing but normal. Now, the "new" EB with the duel injection systems, I don't have enough data to really get details yet. Given the total miles on this unit I can presume it's one of the 1st gen motors, so my data is valid for comparison and contrast.

Last edited:
I use the Magnatec in my Ford F-150 only I use 0W-20. I have a pretty good stash of it since I bought it at Walmart for $17 plus change for the five quart jugs. I have about 6 jugs left. Thanks for posting the oil analysis.

Onug, do you know if that oil had the dexos1 Gen 2 label?
That looks like an LSPI-resistant formulation to me even if it is not SN+.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BikeWhisperer
Nice report, Magnatec continues to look good in these Ecoboost vehicles.

It is one of the very few oils certified WSS-M2C-913C/D (along with Mobil Super 3000 X1 and Shell Helix Professional AF). Basically ACEA A5/B5 with extra ZDDP for a chain wear test.

If you want a change try any of the other A5/B5 5w30s on the market.

The Shell one (also Ford certified) is by far the best of the lot if you can get it. https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils...l-helix-ultra-professional-af-5w-30.html

Well, this stuff was for a long time semi-synthetic and then magically became full synthetic. Maybe they changed and released the formula before they got the SN+ "approval"? I'll dig up one of the bottles tomorrow and post some pics.

It's been a full syn in most grades for a while. IIRC the really heavy stuff is still a blend.

That said, this looks good, but does anyone know what exactly these so called intelligent molecules do? Is it just marketing hype around what seems to be a pretty good oil, or is there something to it?

Originally Posted by dnewton3
My data set has over 200 samples for the 3.5L EB engine.
They average around 3.9ppm/1k miles for the Fe.
They average around 5.0ppm/1k miles for the Cu. (where the Cu comes from I cannot say; don't know the engine well enough. perhaps a Cu based oil cooler like some GM engines?)
They average around 1.0ppm/1k miles for Al.
The other metals are generally low enough to not even consider an issue; only if you got a huge spike would it be a cause for concern.

This UOA is pretty typical for a 3.5EB; nothing but normal. Now, the "new" EB with the duel injection systems, I don't have enough data to really get details yet. Given the total miles on this unit I can presume it's one of the 1st gen motors, so my data is valid for comparison and contrast.

How many different vehicles is this data set from?

Do you have averages from Fuel dilution, with labs that use gas chromotography? Any 2018 3.5 EcoBoosts? I have sent 4 samples, & last 3 have all been in 3.4-4.0% fuel dilution at a 2550-3080 mile OCI.

I have attached my reports if you are interested. my iron counts have still been dropping from the initial oil change. My PPM data is similar to what your data ranges are.

my first / initial drain was done at 2425 miles (Fluidlife) and the wear materials & fuel dilution were excessive. It was good to see them drop, & still falling. Fuel dilution seems to have leveled out.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 40
  • 0 bytes · Views: 34
Last edited:
I wouldn't use (or stress about) any particle count until at minimum 10,000 miles on a Ford motor. They seem to take this long to break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back