Motorcraft FL500S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my 2018 F-150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost, and I always used the Motorcraft FL500S on my 2013 because I thought it was a good filter for the money. I've seen information lately of tears in the filter media of the Motorcraft/Purolator filters which scares me a bit. Bearing in mind that I'll be doing 5K mile changes, do you think the FL500S a safe filter to use? I know the Fram XG10575 is a very good filter, but it's double the cost and might be a waste for 5K intervals. Thanks for the input!

The FL500s seems to be unaffected by the tearing issues, at least from what I've seen. The major tearing issues seem isolated to certain models in the Motorcraft line, most specifically the FL820.

The smaller diameter Motorcrafts (& Purolators) don't seem to be as tear prone as the larger ones. For instance, I don't recall seeing either an FL400S nor an FL500S with media tears.

I recall seeing someone had an issue with that filter but can't find it. At only 5k, why not just grab a Wix and be done?

Or if you're using a high end filter maybe consider running it 2 or even 3 intervals.

I think I've decided to just go with the Wix 57502 which can be had for $7.62 via Amazon prime. The extra ~$1.50 is just splitting hairs at this point, and the peace of mind will be well worth it.

I've cut open 4 or 5 FL-500's and one was torn. I posted it here in early 2018 I think. The UOA I did on that oil cycle didn't show any obvious problems, so I'm not convinced a failed filter here and there presents any long term problems. At least from the failure modes we've seen so far. All bets are off if the tears get bigger or start letting torn media float off into the system.

I refuse to use them simply because I don't give my money to a product that fails.

Originally Posted by KP_Texan
I know the Fram XG10575 is a very good filter, but it's double the cost and might be a waste for 5K intervals. Thanks for the input!

I ran the Ultra Synthetic 2x for 10k miles which was still 50% of what they were rated for on my 2013 3.5 EB and they looked fine when I cut them open.

My only concern with the Wix 57502 was the listed bypass pressure of 22 psi since I've read varying specs on the FL500S bypass pressures being from 8-18 psi. I gave Wix CS a call to discuss this and basically the answer I got was that the 57502 is designed to exactly replicate the FL500S' bypass behavior. He said they don't simply talk to Motorcraft/Purolator etc. to get their bypass pressure rating and then design the filter that way. They actually get a number of FL500S themselves, and then bench test them to determine how the bypass works, and then they engineer their design from that.

Of course, I take this info with a grain of salt, but I suppose it makes me feel good enough to use the 57502s that I've already bought. Granted, my filters don't have a thread end bypass (Date code of 121018), but I'm not overly concerned about that.

Here is an XG10575 (on right, left is OC) and M1 M212 that both did 2 x 5k OCI's on my 3.5 ecoboost (0w40)
(I now don't use them since my GM's need 20+ on PRV)
Last is some Puro's and MC cut when I quit them … confirmed the weakest of paper media
Now use 20-500, PF63E, and Baldwin B7449

F7248D10-B8B8-497C-82FE-2CFE8CADABC7.jpeg

BDBE63A2-A470-4132-871C-B5130B635542.jpeg

1F7EA77B-4105-4EA6-BD71-A381E324029B.jpeg

Last edited:
My only concern with the Wix 57502 was the listed bypass pressure of 22 psi since I've read varying specs on the FL500S bypass pressures being from 8-18 psi. I gave Wix CS a call to discuss this and basically the answer I got was that the 57502 is designed to exactly replicate the FL500S' bypass behavior. He said they don't simply talk to Motorcraft/Purolator etc. to get their bypass pressure rating and then design the filter that way. They actually get a number of FL500S themselves, and then bench test them to determine how the bypass works, and then they engineer their design from that.

Of course, I take this info with a grain of salt, but I suppose it makes me feel good enough to use the 57502s that I've already bought. Granted, my filters don't have a thread end bypass (Date code of 121018), but I'm not overly concerned about that.

The Motorcraft FL-500 bypass valve is set to 17+ PSI per the Project Engineering Manager at Purolator (Todd Vick).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307599

Not sure why Motorcraft/Purolator/Mann & Hummel wouldn't give that information directly to Wix/Mann & Hummel. considering they're the SAME COMPANY! This is the kind of misinformation that makes people not believe anything M&H says!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Not sure why Motorcraft/Purolator/Mann & Hummel wouldn't give that information directly to Wix/Mann & Hummel. considering they're the SAME COMPANY! This is the kind of misinformation that makes people not believe anything M&H says!

Maybe because the 57502 was in Wix's catalog prior to their 2016 acquisition by Mann+Hummel? Other than that, I have no idea.

I'm about to do the first oil change on my 2018 F150 5.0 and have been going back and forth on whether to go with the Napa Gold/Wix or the FL500s. Right now I'm leaning more toward the Wix but then I don't want to give the dealer any reason to deny a repair if I have to take it in for something.

Originally Posted by AdRock
I'm about to do the first oil change on my 2018 F150 5.0 and have been going back and forth on whether to go with the Napa Gold/Wix or the FL500s. Right now I'm leaning more toward the Wix but then I don't want to give the dealer any reason to deny a repair if I have to take it in for something.

I have a 2018 F150 5.0 as well. Mine will always get a Fram Ultra filter. There is very few reported issues with that filter. Use them with confidence! If something does happen and ford wants to deny a claim then they would have to prove that the filter was the cause of the problem which is so unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back