California Exhaust Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a steep fine for a loud exhaust. But I do agree the noise of certain vehicles is outa control.

Around here, large over the road trucks often run straight pipes. This contributes mightily to the noise trucks make.

Excellent! I hope this spreads to Canada. Biggest offenders here are the Harley owners. I ride too, but I don't subscribe to the loud pipes save lives BS.

California was famous for being a coded law state. That meant you could get away with doing some real nonsense in certain circumstances as shown in the video below.

Famous old clip.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Im sure many of you guys heard this news on social media.

$1000 plus for having loud exhaust in California.

https://speedsociety.com/breaking-c...ged-automatic-1000-fine-non-correctable/

Finally, better late than never.
2-3 years ago when my daughter was an infant, the retards drove me nuts. Every night, retards with their loud exhaust Imprezzas and Evos would purposely try to trigger every car alarm on our street (25 mph speed limit). It woke my daughter up, and then another hour of lost sleep trying to get her to sleep, retards drive by again > joy again. I was giving serious thought to going out there and putting a brick through one of their windshields.

This was also a problem in the 60s and 70s with hot rodders. Municipalities would fine loud exhaust violators but those fines were not equal to $1000.

A lot of people have total disregard for others.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
California was famous for being a coded law state. That meant you could get away with doing some real nonsense in certain circumstances as shown in the video below.

Famous old clip.

(( Edited - Whistle tip video ))

I was going to post exactly this clip, just to point out how absurdly stupid this kind of thing is. I think a $1000 fine is completely in line for people who pull this B.S.

.. and then there's this kind of annoyance..

My take is that if you're over the 95dB threshold then you're probably either an (edit-mod) or using your exhaust as an angry inch or low T compensator...in either case fine them. If you live in a state that's approaching 40 million people you can get extremely tired of the self-entitled in many areas of life. If they don't care and think it's cool to have a 110 dB exhaust then I don't care either if they fine them $1000 or impound the vehicle. IMO, that's more (edit-mod) elimination and quality of life restoration than draconian state law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
My take is that if you're over the 95dB threshold then you're probably either an (edit-mod) or using your exhaust as an angry inch or low T compensator...in either case fine them. If you live in a state that's approaching 40 million people you can get extremely tired of the self-entitled in many areas of life. If they don't care and think it's cool to have a 110 dB exhaust then I don't care either if they fine them $1000 or impound the vehicle. IMO, that's more (edit-mod) elimination and quality of life restoration than draconian state law.

AS an ex-Southern Californian I would agree. It's the same thing if your blasting your radio as well. It might be a 95db law as well. There are also laws on the books about how dark your tinted windows can be for both side windows of the front seats. This was done to protect law enforcement. Here in Utah-we have such laws bu they are not widely enforced. So-in a parking lot when you can't see the other driver through the windows-it's very tough to acknowledge right-of way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree in principle. I hate having to stop conversation while some yayhoo drives by showing how cool he is. My bigger beef is with a lot of motorcycle riders.

$1000 is a bit much. I doubt anyone will write that kind of ticket. Make it $100 and start handing them out.

Kind of like our litter law. I never heard of anyone getting a $500 for littering, yet we have litter all over the place.

Only applies to modified exhaust, louder than normal factory exhaust is still okay it seems. It's possible to have modified exhaust and not be obnoxious.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Excellent! I hope this spreads to Canada. Biggest offenders here are the Harley owners. I ride too, but I don't subscribe to the loud pipes save lives BS.

Agreed. We have Apartments nearby and they go blasting up the cross street to ours and it echos off the buildings. Seems they go by at Midnight and 5am.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back